karabas1543

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm managing Blyth, in 3rd season now freshly promoted to league 2. I don't have a great team for this level and was expecting to battle it out of the relegation zone. Maybe that will still be the case, but we've played 3 games, scored 9 goals, conceded only one. One of these games was a 1-0 away victory in the FA Cup against a Championship team, and one other game was against a recently relegated league 1 team.

We played **** in pre-season, but now my defense is acting as if it's on steroids. I never could get a solid defensive line, so it was always a matter of scoring more than the opponent. Now all of a sudden my goalkeeper is pulling off stunning saves and my defenders are holding it down against far superior players. I've lost count of how many diving headers/slides they've made to clear the ball off the line, on top of just constantly blocking shots, etc.

So my question is: why is this happening? I like it, but I'd like to keep it going and I want to know what I'm doing right. My club recently turned professional and I offered my most promising players full-time contracts and these happen to be mostly defenders, but it's only been a month or so, so they couldn't have gained that much from training. I also recently changed my captain - last season my captain and vice-captain rarely played because I bought a whole bunch of better players mid-season, but now I have a 14-influence well-liked player captaining it. Most of my team was happy with his appointment, so maybe that was it? Also, I play him as a defender/defensive mid, so is he rallying the back much better? I've also been doing defensive match prep on very high as it's early in the season and I want my team to max out the familiarity bar, but from what I understand, match prep intensity doesn't matter when it comes to defensive/attacking prep.

Is it one of these? Something else? Ideas?