dhurley

Reaction score
And when i say shooting i mean ALL forms of shooting. First of all, players take way too many long shots, even when you put them on Shoot less and work into box. This wouldn't be a big deal if the shots were good but they're not, 90% of them go way wide and don't even look like they're trying to hit the target. Pogba has great long shots but it doesn't matter.
Second of all clear cut chances are pointless. Every time Lukaku or Rashford are through on goal i have zero confidence that they will score, they usually do a poor low powered shot or just hit it at the keeper. Obviously Rashford isn't at his peak on my save but Lukaku should be doing a lot better.

And when i say shooting i mean ALL forms of shooting. First of all, players take way too many long shots, even when you put them on Shoot less and work into box. This wouldn't be a big deal if the shots were good but they're not, 90% of them go way wide and don't even look like they're trying to hit the target. Pogba has great long shots but it doesn't matter.
Second of all clear cut chances are pointless. Every time Lukaku or Rashford are through on goal i have zero confidence that they will score, they usually do a poor low powered shot or just hit it at the keeper. Obviously Rashford isn't at his peak on my save but Lukaku should be doing a lot better.

1. I'm having none of these problems
2. If anything, I'm finding my teams are not shooting from distance enough.,
3. Too many long shots are usually sign that your tactic is creating dead ends and your players don't know what to do so they shoot.
4. It's more likely your tactic than the game itslef so post how you're setting your squad up as well as the match stats of a few games so we can have a deeper look.

View attachment 78129this is the set up currently, haven't felt like i needed to chance much since the general play and passing options have been there as well as creating chances. Hitting the target is the main problem in my opinion. the only player instructions i have is shoot less often on everyone apart from the striker and move in the channels on the attacking midfielder

Last edited:
View attachment 1133518this is the set up currently, haven't felt like i needed to chance much since the general play and passing options have been there as well as creating chances. Hitting the target is the main problem in my opinion. the only player instructions i have is shoot less often on everyone apart from the striker and move in the channels on the attacking midfielder

Your final 3rd is very congested with everyone looking packing into a tight space looking to create chances - this combined with the opposition likely defending deep against you means that you're asking your guys to thread the ball through the eye on a needle and you've expressly told them they're not allowed shoot from distance - even if that's the only option available to them.

Without seeing the chances you're creating I can't be sure what else might be at fault.
I'd suggest dropping your defensive line and playing more direct passes since you've got so many players in attacking positions - this will stretch the opposition allowing your two deep midfielders more space to get their heads up to spread passes and catch the defense offside. You're united so you're players should be technically gifted enough to play accurate passes at pace.

Your final 3rd is very congested with everyone looking packing into a tight space looking to create chances - this combined with the opposition likely defending deep against you means that you're asking your guys to thread the ball through the eye on a needle and you've expressly told them they're not allowed shoot from distance - even if that's the only option available to them.

Without seeing the chances you're creating I can't be sure what else might be at fault.
I'd suggest dropping your defensive line and playing more direct passes since you've got so many players in attacking positions - this will stretch the opposition allowing your two deep midfielders more space to get their heads up to spread passes and catch the defense offside. You're united so you're players should be technically gifted enough to play accurate passes at pace.

Thanks mate i'll give it a try and see how it works. I'm still getting pretty good results it's just annoying when i see stupid shots being made when there's a passing option. The only game i've lost was against Madrid where i made 5 clear cut chances and lost 1-0

I use poacher in my tactic every game he have around 10 chances 1v1 against goalie.

even he is Defoe he miss alot of them

I use poacher in my tactic every game he have around 10 chances 1v1 against goalie.

even he is Defoe he miss alot of them

Most likely the quality of chances. A poacher can only finish what's given to him so have a look at your final ball.

I'm still scoring, i'm not getting bad results but as i said in my previous comment its annoying seeing stupid shots being taken when theres an option to play someone in

Aye, the not passing is something that drives me mad but that's very common in real life football since strikers are not exactly known for their charitable nature - they get paid to score not the assist. Have a look at the teamwork, composure, and decisions attributes. If they're not all in 16+ range, I woudl't expect them to one-two around a keeper (unless they have "looks to pass rather than shoot PPM) Also bear in mind tactical familiarity, role familiarity and stamina all play a part; as well as how familiar the player are with each other.

Most likely the quality of chances. A poacher can only finish what's given to him so have a look at your final ball.

Aye, the not passing is something that drives me mad but that's very common in real life football since strikers are not exactly known for their charitable nature - they get paid to score not the assist. Have a look at the teamwork, composure, and decisions attributes. If they're not all in 16+ range, I woudl't expect them to one-two around a keeper (unless they have "looks to pass rather than shoot PPM) Also bear in mind tactical familiarity, role familiarity and stamina all play a part; as well as how familiar the player are with each other.

View attachment 78096

Lost 1-0 in the last minute to Bournemouth but destroyed Madrid with the changes you suggested. Also switched Lukaku to poacher since they played a high line. Its the teams that play deep that i struggle with

Most of my shots either hit the post or straight at the keeper. Doesn't matter what finishing and composure they have lol

My first season was absolutely horrendous, 9 out of 10 games would be me completely dominating the game stats-wise. 30+ shots, 15 on goal 1 actual goal...
However I did really notice a difference in result when the squad cohesion went up. A couple of good signings helped aswell :eek:

I'm having exactly the same problem with Man Utd. It doesn't matter what I try nothing seems to improve the shooting of my players and its becoming really frustrating

The basic problems have already been mentioned. Because of your club reputation, teams are parking the bus. And you basically playing right into their plan by pushing forward and compressing. Brendn has provided some solid advice. at its most basic, you need more movement to create more space. Without that, your players are taking poor shots. Dropping the D-line should create some more space by itself. Dropping the mentality to Counter could help. A more extreme option could be dropping some of the 3 players in the AM strata down to the MC strata. It gives them more space to move into, helps out a touch defensively, and shouldn't result in your ST being too isolated.

this is an area where watching and analyzing matches is absolutely vital. Simply looking at stats can be very misleading. Shots, even Clear Cut Chances, can end up skewed. Part of what makes a low block effective defensively is that you are giving up very few clear, uncontested shots at goal. Teams resort to long shots or closer shots from tight angles with players cutting angles down further. From a statistical standpoint, a chance might represent a "good" scoring chance, but functionally, you could have a defender nearby cutting down the possible shooting angle and the keeper cutting it down further, resulting in a "good scoring opportunity" that realistically takes a really precise shot to score.