Why is there no competitive FM scene?

Jakey2303

Reaction score
This thought literally just crossed my mind and I though I would bring it here.

Why does Football Manager not have a competitive scene? With the rising popularity of the game and FM gameplay on YouTube it seems odd that there isn't a structured system of competition. Watching how the E-Sports scene has blown up with games like DOTA and Starcraft it has me wondering if the same could be done with our beloved FM?

Now obviously off the top of my head I don't know how it would work, but it seems like an interesting idea and if there is anyone that can think of ideas it's on these forums.

This is literally just spitballing, but leave your ideas below!

Think you mean a network game mate, and that's been around for years...

Think you mean a network game mate, and that's been around for years...

Yeah but there's no competitive scene. This probably has to due with the game's nature, e.g. being a game that requires a ridiculous amount of time. And you would have to have all teams in a league managed by human players. It's very different from other games in that respect, even other strategy games.

We had FM live which was an MMO version of FM, it started out great but then died on its ***! Everyone wanted to be winners but in football you must have losers and that meant in the long run you ended up with the losers leaving after a short time and new people didn't want to come into old games full of regens. Not sure FM is the sort of game that really works online.

Yeah it would be difficult to get working but I would love to see it attempted. I guess I won't be able to do it though, we need someone who has significant influence in the community.

Cheating, hard to have control over and police events(in terms of transfers etc), it's not the most entertaining thing to watch unless there is a large social aspect involved but mostly it's down to time, games can last weeks/months so then you're down to running small tournaments and then things are out of your control for the most part, have one bad game and it's over.

Honestly, the only way to make it competitive is to probably install a salary cap to all players regardless of their team's stature(If it were to happen).