Why Play So Many Seasons With A Top Side?

One you play LLM you'll never go back.

I agree with that, although it would be nice to have money every now and then and to buy real players who are stars instead of regens in 10 years time.

1) it's fun
2) people paid for the game so they can play it how they wish

Also the 17 season Man U save was
oneunited's

Last edited:
Me personally it's because I don't really follow LLF. Therefore I don't really know the players. If I don't know the players on a team, then I won't be able to get into the game and won't enjoy it.

I tend to go for bigger teams in higher profile leagues as I'll know the players I'm playing with, and can attract. Makes the game more enjoyable for me. I also stay for a while as I don't like leaving the team I have built because I'll have them playing my way and I'll have the players that fit that system.

But by time you've done enough seasons you don't know any of the players anyway...

LLM is great, but by the time you get to the top with a team which i guess is the idea all you have is regens, theres something about playing with players you know and have seen play rather than a regen for me its that simple then i kind of ease into regens. I'll start a llm game when and if the next patch sorts out the match engine.

Last edited:
But by time you've done enough seasons you don't know any of the players anyway...

Maybe, but you will still have some youth players and the regens you have you may have signed years ago and may have got them tutored by real players..

personally ive just started a hamilton save in the SPL we will se how that goes,got boredof going my fav team rangers,so next local is hamilton.

anybody went them?

I've played several top sides. check the sticky post "Post Your Sucesses".

I always start the game with one of the newly promoted teams in the EPL. This year most people told me to start with Newcastle.I usually stay with a team until I get them in #1 in richest. Right now in year 2024 and currently 5th, and even though I had the best team for like the past six years its still fun cause usually sell people when they are close to 30. Then again I like to build people up so every 3 years I usually have a totally different starting lineup to keep things fresh for me. After this save it will be back to lower league teams though.

I guess it's just fun to see your favorite team win in FM as much as it is in reality. Plus if your team has a bad match instead of getting all angry and smash your TV you can just win a cup or something in FM :D

But I do agree that it can get boring, but still I fight that by playing as in-depth as possible, and also a few seasons in I add a new manager and start unemployed. I prefer this to another save because that way I don't spend my efforts, I don't get regens I wish I had in the other save, and I don't see Milan under-performing under a manager who's not even good enough to be a scout (all of which happened to me in previous FMs). Thought to give it a go this year and it's quite fun actually, probably more then I thought in the first place, and I always like playing when there are more regens, and I'm getting that faster this way :)

Plus playing against yourself is quite a feeling |)

Yeh well playing with a top side winning everything does get boring.. thats why i usually leave the club

It's strange, whenever i play with big teams I tend to 'struggle', but when I'm managing mid-table teams it is very enjoyable . In terms of LLM, I never tried it, maybe because I don't know the players, or it's beyond a difficult task .

I almost always play with Milan because that is the team I support. In FM09, I played with Sassuolo until I got them promoted and then I got bored with it. For me, I never get bored with Milan because I have such a passion for my club. I am that way with other games as well such as FIFA and PES. I would find it boring to not play with them.

If you don't know the players, surely a quick look through their profile gives you a decent insight into what they're about? I keep it simple at LLM, very simple actually. Get rid of the big earners who are not that great and sell any high valued youngsters who aren't all that. Staff I don't need will have contracts terminated too. Make tactics to suit the team, normally keep those very simple and all. Get good loanee players for low or no wages to significantly improve weak areas of the team.

I don't buy the 'we've not seen the players' argument, because how many players that are good players in RL get cut by you as 'not good enough'?

I'll use rafmarinello's reference to terminating Park Ji-Sung's deal as it's one I can recall... Man Utd won't do that, he'll probably stay there until he retires and still play the odd game too...

The players that you have 'seen' aren't the players you manage, they are completely different.

Going via the LLM route, as I do, can still be as rewarding, even more so in many cases. My FM 09 save I took over Swindon and turned them into the greatest club in the world, ever... my Hall of Fame rankings are as good as any you might have got with Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and the like.

The team I created won everything in sight for years, although I think in 18/19 seasons I've only won 4 or 5 FA Cups but the League, Champions League and WCC we won every season! The achievement there is that the team that I built from a mid table League 1 team became the biggest and most successful in the World - BAR NONE!

LLM FTW! :wub:

In FM08 I managed Man Utd until 2052 until I accidentally deleted the save (therein followed days of crying and soul searching:':)'(!!)

But that's the beauty of it. I never once got bored because it was my team and regens always kept the game fresh. If I was, say, Stockport (aka the hometown of Man ****** fans), I know after a few poor results I wouldn't give a toss. With United I always feel... "Hey, I'm not quitting until I get this right or until the dirty yanks sack me... and if they dare do that I'll hunt the flithy beggers downs and beat them to a pulp!!"

And if I did ever get sacked I would take over poorer teams with the only intention of getting back to Old Trafford at the first opportunity