Why U23 squad uses almost only U20 squad players?

mmenezes

Reaction score
Hi,

Instead of a Reserve squad, my Cruzeiro EC (Brazilian league) has a U23 squad. So far so good, since I could still make players available to this "Reserve" squad.

However, I noticed that my Assistant Manager, who is in charge of the U23 team, picks mostly players from the U20 squad for official and friendly matches. The result is that, despite my best efforts to keep those guys in form, even arranging friendlies when there are no competitions, the U23 squad is always severely lacking match fitness and the U20 squad, which is forced to play double as much, is always jaded.

I have not made a single U20 squad player available to the U23 squad and I even checked the age of the U23 players. I was afraid that it works really as U23, not as a Reserve squad, and wouldn't allow older players to play. But I noticed that they do play, every now and then, and I actually have quite many palyers between 20 and 23 in the U23 squad, enough not to need any help from the U20.

Any ideas why this happen and, mainly, how to avoid it? Will I have to take control over my U23 squad to avoid this?

Thanks,

Marconi