Shaneckham

Reaction score
I play fairly wide, i chop n change between width and speed of play during the match. I play quite slow and short passing, i control the game and get 60 to 70% posession every game. But if i am struggling to get in the game il change the speed and width to faster and wider. But the wide men average position is always too in field. I want them hugging the touchline all the time. Im not really sure how effective hugging the touchline is, as i normally play inside forwards. But i would like to be able to utilise my wingers that have this ppm.

Do i have to play really wide to get these players to hug the touchline effectivley?

Or should i just tell them to play normal?

I play a 4-2-3-1 i just find the advanced wingers seem to get behind the defence and shoot, more often than they swing a cross in from wide.

focus ure passing down both flanks play with a maximum size pitch don't have them cutting inside or you'll confuse them.if you are going to play cut inside then have a left footer play and the right and vice versa

focus ure passing down both flanks play with a maximum size pitch don't have them cutting inside or you'll confuse them.if you are going to play cut inside then have a left footer play and the right and vice versa

Yer iv mastered the inside forward roles. But it just seems when i go for attacking wingers they aint where they should be. Do you play wingers hugging touchline?

How do you find focusing the passing down the wings will work for my posession, as i dont want to be predictable?

Cheers

Click on their position and go to advanced and tick the 'Wide Play' box and select 'Hug Touchline'.

I dont know if this is the case but maybe they have the PPM "Likes to cut inside" if they have that and you give them high creative freedom then they will most likely ignore some of your input.

Just a hunch.

I dont know if this is the case but maybe they have the PPM "Likes to cut inside" if they have that and you give them high creative freedom then they will most likely ignore some of your input.

Just a hunch.

My inside forwards have that so i play them as inside forwards, and they do great. But i have a winger that has a ppm hugs the touchline, but he always gets into the box on to through balls instead. Im not really bothered but just been trying to get the best out of what he does best. Endless tweaking just cant get him out onto that touchline. Cheers mate.

Check the following:
  1. In touchline instructions, do you have "Retain possession" enabled when you want your players to hug the touchline? Because if it is, they will not cross much...they'll come in and look for the pass or for a through ball so as to keep possession. Another thing to check is whether you have "Pass to Feet" enabled. If you do, disable both these options and go for options such as "Pass into space".
  2. Again in touchline instructions, do you have "Work Ball Into Box" enabled? If you do, this will prevent your wide players from crossing. Instead, they will look to come in and literally work their way into the box or pass the ball into the box to some other player and try to take a shot when they're very close to the goal. Try instead to "Pump Ball Into Box".
  3. You can also try to change your Passing Style (Team Instructions) from "Short" or "Default" to "More direct". However, note that this will change the settings for your entire team and not just for the wingers, but it might give them a little more freedom.
  4. Finally, wingers on attack duty, by default, are allowed to Roam from position (yes). You could try to change that to "No" to force them to stay near the touchline. But by doing this, you could be risking their involvement in the game as they may continue to loiter outside play even when the opposition is attacking through the centre.

Try these out and tell me what works for you. All the best!

PS: Almost forgot: While in "Attack" mode, a winger will generally try to cut inside (run at defense) and either attempt a pass or take a shot. You should maybe try changing their duty to "Support", but if you're playing with only one striker, you may not have enough players in the box to receive the cross or to pounce on the rebound. One option you can do is to put your wingers into Support mode, and put one of your central midfielders on attack duty. This will ensure that he runs into the box as the wingers cross and try to take a shot. But for this, you may want a midfielder with a decent finishing attribute or with decent Long Shot attribute.

Last edited:
Check the following:
  1. In touchline instructions, do you have "Retain possession" enabled when you want your players to hug the touchline? Because if it is, they will not cross much...they'll come in and look for the pass or for a through ball so as to keep possession. Another thing to check is whether you have "Pass to Feet" enabled. If you do, disable both these options and go for options such as "Pass into space".
  2. Again in touchline instructions, do you have "Work Ball Into Box" enabled? If you do, this will prevent your wide players from crossing. Instead, they will look to come in and literally work their way into the box or pass the ball into the box to some other player and try to take a shot when they're very close to the goal. Try instead to "Pump Ball Into Box".
  3. You can also try to change your Passing Style (Team Instructions) from "Short" or "Default" to "More direct". However, note that this will change the settings for your entire team and not just for the wingers, but it might give them a little more freedom.
  4. Finally, wingers on attack duty, by default, are allowed to Roam from position (yes). You could try to change that to "No" to force them to stay near the touchline. But by doing this, you could be risking their involvement in the game as they may continue to loiter outside play even when the opposition is attacking through the centre.

Try these out and tell me what works for you. All the best!

PS: Almost forgot: While in "Attack" mode, a winger will generally try to cut inside (run at defense) and either attempt a pass or take a shot. You should maybe try changing their duty to "Support", but if you're playing with only one striker, you may not have enough players in the box to receive the cross or to pounce on the rebound. One option you can do is to put your wingers into Support mode, and put one of your central midfielders on attack duty. This will ensure that he runs into the box as the wingers cross and try to take a shot. But for this, you may want a midfielder with a decent finishing attribute or with decent Long Shot attribute.

Yer he is on attack, i was just thinking bout giving him a support role instead. Cheers pal, i think that might be the problem, makes sense really dont it, he should be on support really. Top man.

Also consider the fact that amrl- , just like any player are supposed to find space where its to be found. If facing normal or deepsitting defences, the space simply wont be found deep down the flanks where these players are positioned. Even if askimg them to hug the touchline, you have to remember that this is à with the ball move and if already having found space inside, he wont run with the ball away from goal

Also consider the fact that amrl- , just like any player are supposed to find space where its to be found. If facing normal or deepsitting defences, the space simply wont be found deep down the flanks where these players are positioned. Even if askimg them to hug the touchline, you have to remember that this is à with the ball move and if already having found space inside, he wont run with the ball away from goal

Yer so do you think winger support and normal, instead of hug the line would be better cause he will do a bit of both cause its in his ppm anyway?

Figure out your opponent, I'd say. If you think you can have better success by making your wingers run down the byline and pump crosses into the box (if you have tall attackers or attackers with good heading attribute), then make them hug the touchline and pump your crosses in.

One thing you can probably do is to try and make them hug the touchline at the beginning. About 30-35 minutes into the game, pause it, go to the stats/analysis screen and see how effective your crosses have been. If the ratio of completed crosses is very low, or the number of crosses is very low, then change it to make them cut inside and work the ball into the box.

Figure out your opponent, I'd say. If you think you can have better success by making your wingers run down the byline and pump crosses into the box (if you have tall attackers or attackers with good heading attribute), then make them hug the touchline and pump your crosses in.

One thing you can probably do is to try and make them hug the touchline at the beginning. About 30-35 minutes into the game, pause it, go to the stats/analysis screen and see how effective your crosses have been. If the ratio of completed crosses is very low, or the number of crosses is very low, then change it to make them cut inside and work the ball into the box.

Well my winger is a right sided winger and hes quality, iv got hamsik in att mid, babacar upfront and neymar on the left as inside forward. I drill crosses, and when he gets on the ball and sticks in a cross hes great. Cheers tho bud.