Martino

Reaction score
SO, I've never made a decent tactic that employs a wide target man, so that was the task for this tactic. After alot of tweaking I'm finally happy with it defensively and offensively.
First important thing is that the central attacking mid to the right is set to man mark left back and the wide target man is set to man mark right back. An idea I stole from TFF- so thanks to him. When the opposition plays a 3 or 5 back defense you have to make a change to the specifik man marking. You can read more about it here
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-17-tactics/362410-destroyer.html
This also makes the att mid(cr) a bit more of a drifting winger.

The tactic is possesion and counter with lethal through balls. Player roles are as follows

SK(att) - Have a great sweeper keeper. Thats kinda it. Set to distribute to full backs to when playing out of defense.

BPD (Cover) Good allround defender with decent passing. Pace is not that important here. Right foot
BPD (ST) Same as above but needs to be left footed

IWB-L (sup) This is a pseudo deep lying playmaker. He needs defensive skills but also vision and passing abilities. Have him train tries killer balls often and cuts inside from left flank. I tend to retrain deep lying playmaker type of players for this role. use a right or both footed player.

IWB-R (sup) This player is more a pseudo winger. He needs runs into channels. And look for pass instead of shoot.

DEF MID (DEF) Your anchor man, but with passing abilities. Needs great defensive skills as well as offensive. PPMs could be stays back at all time. Tries long range passes. Switch ball to opposite flank.

CEN MID (ATT) The instructions are almost identical, but not completely. Here you field your box to box kind of midfielders. Off the ball movement, pace, finishing and decent defensive abilities are key. PPMs could be Gets forward whenever possible, arrives late in the area, likes 1-2s, tries killer balls often.

CEN ATT MID(ATT) These two players needs PACE! and off the ball movement along with decent finishing. PPMs Runs into channels, likes 1-2s. Places shots.

WIDE TARGET MAN(ATT) Needs to be good in the air of course, but he needs pace, and creativity as well. Left or right foot, either way works but makes him act a bit different. Left foot more of a winger, right foot more of an inside forward. PPMs. Cuts inside from left flank, shoots with power. runs into channels, plays with back to goals. Depends on what kind of target man you want.

DOWNLOAD HERE https://www.mediafire.com/?uxmora6ba90c1id

Tweaks and inputs are more than welcome. I'm still not sure about the roles of the two centerbacks. But ended up with stopper/cover pairing.

I use assistant manager to make opp instructions. Training...well I like to rotate things depending on what my team needs, but i train players in the specifik player roles.

TWEAK VERSION https://www.mediafire.com/?v0vdh2088vc2z59 For info see post #13

View attachment 109897

View attachment 109896

Last edited:
I like the idea of this role. I haven't seen one work (or achieved it myself). Would you want passing to exploit the left wing in the instructions with direct passing?

Also, would you be happy to supply a right sided copy (mirror). Would like to give it a go.

Thanks

Last edited:
I like the idea of this role. I haven't seen one work (or achieved it myself). Would you want passing to exploit the left wing in the instructions with direct passing?

Also, would you be happy to supply a right sided copy (mirror). Would like to give it a go.

Thanks

Tried more direct passing but it didnt work as well for some reason. I dont want to expl
exploit left flank because the wide target role already acts as a playmaker/targetman so alot of passing goes through him already. Think mirror version might work just as well.a
And me neither, its always been really hard to make the role work really well in any tactic.

I would need to play a game to make a mirror version because of the specific man marking. And i'm not home right now.

Last edited:
Tried more direct passing but it didnt work as well for some reason. I dont want to expl
exploit left flank because the wide target role already acts as a playmaker/targetman so alot of passing goes through him already. Think mirror version might work just as well.a
And me neither, its always been really hard to make the role work really well in any tactic.

I would need to play a game to make a mirror version because of the specific man marking. And i'm not home right now.

I notice the CM on the TM side has more direct passing. I like it so far. Looking forward to a mirror - always think it is best for the author to do it in case something is missed that is important.

Thanks in advance

If you use a fast winger type as a wide target man with PPMs Hugs line, runs with ball down left, runs with ball often, knocks ball past opponent then he'll get alot of assist but not as many goals, but your two central offensive mids will get more goals instead.
Still work on which role is best for right inverted wingback. Still tweaking a bit here.

Hi Martino, possible to show the stats of your WTM? Does he become your top goalscorer? Can i try this specific marking out with a raumdeuter or IF?

Hi Martino, possible to show the stats of your WTM? Does he become your top goalscorer? Can i try this specific marking out with a raumdeuter or IF?

Yes, he will become your leading goalscorer. You can try change him to a raumdeuter or inside forward and see if he still becomes the leading goalscorer. About stats...I havent played a full season with one team with this tactic yet. Been changing teams to see what PPMs work and which doesnt and what type of players that work the best. But I'm leading the Danish Superliga and since I changed to the final version of this tactic I havent lost a game in the league. And my team is not that good really.

View attachment 109163

Benched all of my best players for the last game of the season as we already won the league, yet managed a 0-6 away win. Sometimes I change the defensive midfielder to a deep lying playmaker, but it depends on oppostion.

Bit late but thank you for the mirror version. Got on fairly well in a test save. Have downloaded the new version (version 15) and it has gone straight into my career save. Not the absolute best results thus far but love the football that it plays

Bit late but thank you for the mirror version. Got on fairly well in a test save. Have downloaded the new version (version 15) and it has gone straight into my career save. Not the absolute best results thus far but love the football that it plays

Nice to hear. Which one do you prefer? I think the tweaked version might be better and more fun. I change the PIs for the right wide target man from time to time. Sometimes I play him wider to make room for the right IVB to drift into which gets him more involved offensively.
I found that the PPMs and what type of player you use has a lot to say in this tactic. You can use fast wingers as a wide target man as well, as they get on the end of a lot of through balls.

Sometimes I change team mentality as well to standard, control or offensive.

Winning the danish league focusing on youth and hardly buying any players, with a mid table team. Need to try it out in one of the big leagues.

Final tweak is working wonders. The formation is a bit weird but relies on the specific man marking. The roaming playmaker is set to man mark the oppositions left wing/left midfielder. If they play a rare formation where they dont use wide players or plays with three up front then watch start of the game and see what area you need him to cover.
Just beat a team of equal strengt 10-1 away.
View attachment 108251
Here's the formation
View attachment 108250

And here's the download link. Will update OP. https://www.mediafire.com/?67yeb3wk7aaakhy

Really cool to see the wide target man role work so well! I must say I was utterly surprised when it finished 3rd in our tactic test! :) Which means, it's a very, very good tactic if you build a team around it!

Really cool to see the wide target man role work so well! I must say I was utterly surprised when it finished 3rd in our tactic test! :) Which means, it's a very, very good tactic if you build a team around it!

Thats nice to hear, as I'm winning with big and small teams. Did you use the original one, cause I think it's the best one overall, the others are just fun tweaks to mix it up sometimes so the save doesn't get boring.

View attachment 107511

So far so good. Using a new tweak, which can be downloaded here. Still relying on specific man marking so if the opposition plays a weird formation with 3 up front or no wide players, then you have to adjust the man marking of the roaming playmaker. If you want a plug n play tactic, then download the original tactic. Anyway here's the latest tweak... https://www.mediafire.com/?01e96i4grew436b

What the **** is this tactic?! Plugged the tactic from post #13 and it's reasonably fluid and this happened!

View attachment 96056

Oxlade-Chamberlain got a hat-trick at AMR haha!