Martino

Reaction score
Hello friends.

Time for an updated version of a tactic I keep returning to. Its the WideTargetKillsIt tactic which I made to see if I could make the Wide Targetman role shine, and I think it was a succes. I've been building a squad around the tactic and have made alot changes from player roles, TIs and PIs so I thought it was time for a whole new thread and tactic explanation. Its a high tempo tactic with two designated playmakers and a wide target man.
Here's how the tactic looks on the drawing board.
View attachment 89677View attachment 89676

The roles:
Sweeper keeper(att). My favourite keeper role. Find a decent keeper with good passing abilites and you'll see him make some nice passes from time to time. He distributes to the deep lying playmaker.

BPD(Cover and Stopper)Have a left footed and a right footed defender here with high anticipation and marking abilites. Needless to say they need passing skills as well. PPMs. Mark opponents tightly.

Inverted Wingback(support). Dont think of this player as a wingback but more of a deep lying playmaker, so retrain a player with high passing and vision as well as decent defensive stats and he'll make a fair amount of assists as well. PPMs. Tries Killerball often. Dictates tempo. Gets forward whenever possible. Cuts inside from left flank.

Fullback(attack). This player is there to make some width to draw opposition to their left to make room for the wide target man on the other side. Pace is always good, as well as passing and vision(we play high tempo). Off the ball movement, and tackling are vital as well. PPMs. Gets forward whenever possible. Looks for pass instead of shot.

Deep Lying Playmaker(defend) The defensive anchor with abilities to keep the ball moving from side to side. if you dont have a decent deep lying playmaker or want a more defensive approach then this role can be changed to anchorman with great succes as well. PPMs. Switches ball to opposite flank. Plays out of trouble. Maybe tries killerballs often.

Roaming playmaker(support). The engine of the team. Getting in the way of a lot of opposition play and sets up alot of play for your team. Needs good psychical stats as well as creative. Needs a passing game too. PPMs. Likes one twos. Plays out of trouble. Tries killerballs often. Dictates tempo. Dwells on ball. Shoots with power.

Central mid(attack) Think of this role as a poacher. He gets alot of one on ones with keeper. So a clinical finisher with good passing and off the ball skills. PPMs. Runs into channels. Gets forward whenever possible. Places shots.

OFF Mid(Attack) I used a versatile playmaker type of player here, who can create chances but also finish the attack himself. PPMs Tries killerball often. Likes to beat offside trap(can be useful). Moves into channels(depending on what type of player you use here). Right now I use a player with Looks for pass instead of shot and it works really well(he's a Michael Laudrup type of player)

Shadowstriker. Another pseudostriker. Please note that he's set to man mark left back, so if the oppostion plays 352 or 532 etc. Then you might wanna look into what player he then man marks and change it accordingly, otherwise he might be dragged far out of position. I like pace, dribbling and vision for this role. PPMs. Runs with ball through the middle(or runs with ball down right flank) Beats offside trap.

And now the WIDETARGETMAN(Att). He needs two things. PACE!(acceleration as well) and finishing. Secondly off the ball movements and heading. I think i prefer having him being left footed actually, but a right footed will also work great. PPMs. Shoots with power. Shoots first time. Runs into channels. Likes to beat offside trap.

I tend to train offensive movements, but if you're the underdog team then def positioning is probably the way to go. Team cohesion when in a bad run. Match tactic until fluid.
OIs. Dont really use any. Sometimes if the opposition have a really good player I mark him tightly and close him down.

This guy likes the Widetarget role. 71mins and 5 goals. View attachment 89675

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/?5mh15mu2c0s5qqm

Last edited:
Same ss with table, squad and results? :)

Havent played full season as I've been tweaking it back and forth. But I made a quick holiday test with Silkeborg media predicted 14 out of 14 in Danish Superliga and they finished 2nd eventhough they lost Robert Skov and Ibrahim Moro in the winter transfer window(the two best players in Silkeborg). Please have in mind that the Silkeborg squad is **** ;) Here's a SS. View attachment 89615

In home games when I'm the favourite i often change the roaming playmaker to advanced playmaker(att)with get further forward and roam from position ticked on as well as the default ones. Can also be used in away games with caution

Last edited:
I'll try this out! Did you make any more changes to you Raumdeuter tactic Martino? Slightly off topic I know haha

I'll try this out! Did you make any more changes to you Raumdeuter tactic Martino? Slightly off topic I know haha

Haha, no I gave up. Couldn't make it good enough with the amount of time I had available to fool around with it ;)

Haha, no I gave up. Couldn't make it good enough with the amount of time I had available to fool around with it ;)

Well if it's any consolation this tactic is fantastic, if not better than the first versions. The one thing I love is the movement between all of the players is sublime, like the CM(A) could just as well be a striker the amount he gets through!

My team is using a kinda formation in TopEleven and it's been quite good!
I'm interested to see it in Football Manager, about to start a new save in France or something I'll post some progress when ready :)

Last edited:
Well if it's any consolation this tactic is fantastic, if not better than the first versions. The one thing I love is the movement between all of the players is sublime, like the CM(A) could just as well be a striker the amount he gets through!

Thanx a lot! Yes, the CM has lots of open space to run into, so you can almost retrain a poacher to this position;)

My team is using a kinda formation in TopEleven and it's been quite good!
I'm interested to see it in Football Manager, about to start a new save in France or something I'll post some progress when ready :)

awesome. Any feedback is welcome.