Wigan 0-4 Blackpool

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 3K
I havent seen the highlights but was listening to it on five live, Fantastic result for Blackpool

One win. Great win none the less, but there is still 37 games to go. Still see it being an immense struggle.

pure pwnage! and Holloway's post-game interview was great :)

allways want the favourites to finish bottom do well and i hope blackpool continue playing like this except against chelsea ofcourse

Thought they could sneak a win, but not by this margin. Wigan are a horrid side, still, Blackpool will struggle throughout the season.

Good start for them. Gonna love watching them on Match Of The Day tonight and this season.

As i said, good start to the season, but it's going to be a very hard season for them. Would be very surprised if they stayed up..

just them announcing themselves like most promoted teams do, still favourites to go down most probably, still great win, Holloway <3

Blackpool will most probably be in the relegation dogfight so its pretty great for them to get a result like that, will really help their goal difference for the season. Trust Chelsea to ruin the fun though.. bastards :(

well done blackpool, but from last season you can see how poor that wigan team is with martinez there. yes i think martinez is a decent manager, but not for the prem! wouldnt suprise me if hes the next manager to lose his job

Alex-Baptiste-006.jpg

Marlon Harewood nearly joined Huddersfield, in League One, in preference to Blackpool, but Ian Holloway got his man in the end and had his persistence rewarded with two goals from the former Aston Villa striker as every pundit's favourites to go straight back down started life among the elite with a comprehensive victory.

To the chagrin of the home crowd, Wigan were second best throughout and were booed off at half-time and at the end. Their manager, Roberto Martinez, said beforehand that his team were playing the Championship play-off winners at the worst possible time, while they were still on a promotion high, and so it proved.

Blackpool, full of vim and vigour, had the game won by half-time, at which stage they were 3-0 up. Harewood, signed only last Thursday, made the first for Gary Taylor-Fletcher, then rattled in two of his own – both courtesy of handling errors by Chris Kirkland. It was to get worse for the former England goalkeeper. After 74 minutes, he let in a long cross from Alex Baptiste for Blackpool's fourth.

After a frustrating summer in the transfer market, Holloway started life in the Premier League with eight of the 11 who won the play-off final against Cardiff. Apart from Harewood, the newcomers to his starting line-up were Craig Cathcart, the 21-year-old defender recruited from Manchester United, and Elliot Grandin, signed from CSKA Sofia, on the left side of midfield. All three contributed in full measure, Harewood giving way to another new signing, Chris Basham, after 59 minutes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/14/wigan-blackpool-premier-league

Well done to Blackpool, even if they struggle for the rest of the season, that result is something to be proud of. I seriously hope they can build on this though, good luck to them.

As for Wigan, dark times ahead, never good enough to stay in the premiership anyway, small club in a town that is more interested in rugby.

hope they stay up, just so that holloway is in the premiership, such a breath of fresh air with his opinions. The less said about wigan the better

Can't say I'm surprised. They played Wigan, who are just absolutely awful. Can't see Wigan staying up tbh. I know it's only one game, but they've been playing like this for a few seasons now, and don't appear to be changing. Hope Blackpool do well, and replicate Birmingham last season.

Welcome to the Premier League, Blackpool.

Back