• Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 2K

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
BBC - Phil McNulty: My Premier League 2011-12 predictions

Wigan: Premier League guide | Mail Online

Wigan Athletic Premier League 2011-12 team guide | Football | The Guardian

Wigan Athletic 2011/12 preview – SportsNews Ireland

Why do we get such bad press? We're not a bad tempered team and we have only been fighting to stay up 3 out of the 6 years we've been here. All our fans are loyal fans, it's a rugby town! Just because we don't get big crowds, is that why no one likes us? Are people jealous that we're punching WELL above our weight? I really don't get it :(

Last edited:
No one concnentrates on teams like Wigan because you have been in the prem for so long and are just another team. But teams at the top and the teams that just got promoted will get more press. Its just the way it is.

Why do we get such bad press? We're not a bad tempered team and we have only been fighting to stay up 3 out of the 6 years we've been here. All our fans are loyal fans, it's a rugby town! Just because we don't get big crowds, is that why no one likes us? Are people jealous that we're punching WELL above our weight? I really don't get it :(

I think its because your a "rugby town" is why you get such bad press. It might be because you have such useless crowds etc. Not sure to be honest. I never had a problem with Wigan until the last day of the season XD.

I dont know about others, but I liked Wigan even since Bruce was in charge.. They did well to stay in the league for this long, but also they had superb team when Bruce was in charge.

Very good manager, realistic Chairman, tries to play good football.. Yeah.. I like them..

Last edited:
The Guardian preview did make me laugh a bit

Rule change
Can't be bothered. If a law change is applied in an empty stadium, does it actually affect anything?

To be fair Wigan do exceptionally well to stay up every year with their gates and budget. They survive by the skin of their teeth and then sell their best players, you think its only a matter of time before they do get relegated. Maybe Rodallega will score 30 this season and keep you up.

Yer it does **** me off when you see ground on Facebook like "Sitting in your actual seat even though your at Wigan and you can sit wherever you want". Its disrespectful to the actual fans of Wigan who made the huge leap to the top division to quickly. Its hard for them because as the op says its a rugby town, they have a very good chairman who i like and a very good manager who i also like so **** all the haters i say mate.

I think the reason you survive every is because there will surely be less pressure on the players. Knowing that people are writing them off will probably make the team work harder to stay in the division.

I am still undecided on Wigan. I can't work out whether they will be relegated in the next few years or whether they will break into mid-table safety like Bolton and Sunderland have done in recent years.

I don't mind Wigan as a team, the only problem I have with them being in the Premier League is I would like the top league in England to have all the biggest English sides in, which Wigan are not.

But props to them for doing so well, will be interesting to see how they do without N'Zogbia.

The thing about Wigan is, for me - I never see them claim victory. They obviously do and it escapes me, but I never notice. Then the end of the season comes and they avoid relegation and I'm at maximum confusion. I like Roberto Martinez, when Steve Bruce was in charge I couldnt stand them, but RM has a cool swagger about him.

I would be surprised if you get relegated this year tbh

It is probably just the fact they dont score much and have a poor fan base. Not a lot the club can do about it but that is what neutral fans will notice. I want them to stay up for James McCarthy but I cant see it happening.
20th- Norwich
19th - Swansea
18th - Wigan

i think they will be in a relegation fight again tbh

Robbie Savage predicted Wigan to finish 13th in Zoo's premier league preview.

I don't mind Wigan as a team, the only problem I have with them being in the Premier League is I would like the top league in England to have all the biggest English sides in, which Wigan are not.

But props to them for doing so well, will be interesting to see how they do without N'Zogbia.

Surely you want the best teams in the premier league? Biggest doesn't mean best as Wigan have shown.

The day they sold Heskey I disliked them :P No but I actually like Wigan, Martinez is agreat manager he wants he team to play "nice" football which is always nice to see. And the fact they give youth a chance.

Surely you want the best teams in the premier league? Biggest doesn't mean best as Wigan have shown.

The financial support of being in the Premiership would most likely make the biggest teams the best anyway, but I'm not particularly fussed either way, Wigan currently deserve to be in the Premier League.

What amazes me the way Wigan come too the final 3/4 games, realise they are in massive trouble, make a resurgant fight-back and then stay-up. They have done very well in the pasts year too avoid relegation, but now they really need to press-on. And until they start showing signs they can pull away from a relegation battle, they will always be placed in that pot of 'Relegation Candidates'. Martinez is a good manager, and I hope his loyalty pays-off. If Wigan do have a good season [Anything above 14th lets say] then more fans will come through the gates.

When we (Charlton) were in the EPL we used to be last on MOTD, ignored most of the time etc. You shouldn't let it get to you. Just be glad you are in the PL while it lasts because it won't be forever :)

Surely you can understand why many people are predicting Wigan to go down? You have lost possibly your best player in N'zogbia and another decent player in Cleverley and not really strengthened the squad, plus you are not one of the bigger teams with big budgets so you are always going to be facing an uphill task.

I'm not saying Wigan won't stay up, I'm just saying the fact that people are predicting them to go down is understandable :)

Back