kpgooner95

Reaction score
now we've just seen Wigan win the FA Cup, A fantastic achievement for a club of their stature, they beat man city 1-0 but completely dominated for the 1st to the 90th min, I was hoping that someone would try to emulate what Martinez has done for them and the way they play with their 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 Variations

When they had the ball it looked like a 3-4-3 as you mentioned , but on defense it was always a 5-3-2. You could see their 5-3 defense lines perfectly. Very good match by Wigan.

When they had the ball it looked like a 3-4-3 as you mentioned , but on defense it was always a 5-3-2. You could see their 5-3 defense lines perfectly. Very good match by Wigan.

Yeah, that seemed to be the case, but there was some variation from their formation, they had Kone as a sole striker, with McManaman on the right, but primarily had no-one on the left, because of Gomez and Maloney swapping positions and tucking in for an AP role, that's where espinoza took advantage of that left flank.

they obviously play with two wingers and two wing backs but the wingers are almost false wingers as they make there way inwards with the wingbacks making the width of the team.
it's a brilliant tactic and I was thinking myself whether someone had recreated the tactic. it balances both fluidity and rigidness.

they obviously play with two wingers and two wing backs but the wingers are almost false wingers as they make there way inwards with the wingbacks making the width of the team.
it's a brilliant tactic and I was thinking myself whether someone had recreated the tactic. it balances both fluidity and rigidness.

I agree out the false wingers, that was only on the left hand side though, on the right wing McManaman hardly cut in but when he did he was deadly, whereas on the left Gomez and Maloney were constantly swapping places, Maloney always tucked in behind the Kone leaving space for Espinosa to exploit, this didn't happen on the right though, because of Mcarthur in an awkward position, so when he got the ball, instead of hugging the touch line, he would cut inside.

Cheers for the tactic I will try it out when I have the time, but isn't your tactic susceptible to counter attacks down the flank? That would be my only bad point from a glance.

it is the main risk for conceding, although my 3 CDs almost always clear the ball safely