Will this Laptop run a very Large Database quickly?

Ellz501

Reaction score
I am buying a new laptop that will run Football Manager that has a large database very quickly and smoothly.

Will this laptop have 5* Computer Performance and 5* Estimated Game Speed? Or something near that?

As that is what I want.

This is the Laptop: Inspiron 15R Special Edition laptop details | Dell UK

Or this other dell laptop looks good: XPS 15 details

please help.

Many thanks.

RAM is the important thing with FM. It's how your computer copes with running applications. As FM is not a high demanding game graphics wise, it's the RAM you need to be looking at.

8GB should easily be enough with that laptop.

HOWEVER... I recently bought a new laptop. 16GB RAM 1TB Hard Drive, 2GB dedicated graphics card.

£120ish more than the one you have your eyes on, but worth it alone for double the RAM
Buy HP ENVY dv7-7332ea 17.3" Laptop | Free Delivery | Currys

I have to add - it is superb. Ridiculously lightning quick with a heap of leagues loaded in my game. I love it.

Last edited:
Wow thanks!!!!! 16B RAM is insane! double what I was going to buy.

That is my mind made up. Thanks you kind sir. just had a look at some reviews and they are good.

ordering now.

Many Thanks

Just saw it is a 17.3 wide screen. I am not complaining as it is superb laptop.

But I would prefer a 15 inch laptop screen because I just prefer that size. Do they do the same spec in the 15 inch screen?

Many Thanks

Just saw it is a 17.3 wide screen. I am not complaining as it is superb laptop.

But I would prefer a 15 inch laptop screen because I just prefer that size. Do they do the same spec in the 15 inch screen?

Many Thanks

Sorry mate, was on my way home from work and missed this.

Most smaller sized laptops are smaller spec wise too.

I've seen your message and fired back a response, also.

I would like your opinions on wether this laptop can play FM13 if I load 1-5 leagues and a medium/large database.

I would also greatly appreciate any other Laptop suggestions for £300 or less that would be better.

Please do not say a desktop will be better as I know this. But what I need is a laptop.
View attachment 318397
Hope these help.

Thanks in advance

I would like your opinions on wether this laptop can play FM13 if I load 1-5 leagues and a medium/large database.

I would also greatly appreciate any other Laptop suggestions for £300 or less that would be better.

Please do not say a desktop will be better as I know this. But what I need is a laptop.
View attachment 318397
Hope these help.

Thanks in advance

Go on the Currys/PC World website (even if you're not from the UK, it's purely for comparison). You can search specifically for what you're after there. Price, RAM, graphics card, size etc:

6GB of RAM is the minimum you really want to run a good game of FM with a few leagues and a large database.

Desktops are great but not practical. Many people suggested them to me, but a laptop is essential these days.

Everyone here going on about ram, isnt cpu power the most important thing when playing fm?

Go on the Currys/PC World website (even if you're not from the UK, it's purely for comparison). You can search specifically for what you're after there. Price, RAM, graphics card, size etc:

6GB of RAM is the minimum you really want to run a good game of FM with a few leagues and a large database.

Desktops are great but not practical. Many people suggested them to me, but a laptop is essential these days.

I have been using pc world and that is the best so far at a decent price. Do you think it will work though? I will be using 2D match view. And max 5 leagues. May end up with small database.
Also I know in fm12 there was a special laptop skin, is this still available for FM13?

What kind of lenovo suite this game?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyone here going on about ram, isnt cpu power the most important thing when playing fm?

That's important too, but most laptops now are good enough in that respect.

I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read and from experience, RAM is very important.

Put it this way - I had the same CPU in my old laptop that I do now, but my new one has 16GB of RAM, whereas my old laptop only had 2GB RAM. The difference is staggering.

I have been using pc world and that is the best so far at a decent price. Do you think it will work though? I will be using 2D match view. And max 5 leagues. May end up with small database.
Also I know in fm12 there was a special laptop skin, is this still available for FM13?

Yeah it should be perfectly fine for that amount really. I was running 10 nations+ on a large database on my old laptop which was nowhere near as good as the laptop you have found.

6GB was a suggestion if you wanted it to be comfortably fast, as in cruising speed with that.

Not sure about the skin, sorry. Have a look at skins see if there's anything similar.

Yeah it should be perfectly fine for that amount really. I was running 10 nations+ on a large database on my old laptop which was nowhere near as good as the laptop you have found.

6GB was a suggestion if you wanted it to be comfortably fast, as in cruising speed with that.

Not sure about the skin, sorry. Have a look at skins see if there's anything similar.

Thanks mate.

4GB of RAM is more than enough... Running FM doesn't even go above 2GB of ram.
More important than RAM is your Processor... That determines how fast your laptop goes, whereas a RAM is an indicator of how much applications it could run.
And a decent enough graphics card should be good, atleast 1GB... Shouldn't be a problem as most new laptops these days are fitted with 1GB graphics.

4GB of RAM is more than enough... Running FM doesn't even go above 2GB of ram.
More important than RAM is your Processor... That determines how fast your laptop goes, whereas a RAM is an indicator of how much applications it could run.
And a decent enough graphics card should be good, atleast 1GB... Shouldn't be a problem as most new laptops these days are fitted with 1GB graphics.

Most processors nowadays are of a very high standard, and you'll strugglre to find a bad one off the shelf.

You'll need a half decent graphics card, but FM really doesn't need an excellent one as FM is more to do with data than graphics

With the spec of my old laptop - the only thing letting me down was RAM. 2GB simply wasn't enough.

I now have 16GB of RAM and it is rapid. I bought my laptop for other things too, but I wanted something that I could run a huuuuuge amount of nations and a large database on FM.

If I was looking for something comfortably fast I'd look at nearer 6GB of RAM. You are guaranteed a decent processor and graphics card in almost any laptop that isn't custom built or dodgy.

Hmm.. Well... Processors are actually the main "Thing" that determines the price a laptop. You can find really average budget laptops with 16GB RAM and yet their processors are ****, mainly the low end Intel Celeron with 1.8 clock speed... And that wouldn't cut it for FM.

Like I said, RAM determines the quantity... Processor, Quality.
RAM is not a crucial thing, if a game requires 2GB of ram, it only needs 2GB.... Having more than 2GB won't help... because it will only use up 2GB... Even if you have 64GB. (You'd only need it if you are running 32 copies of FM)

FM is a game requires mainly processor, because most of the time the game is actually being processed sending out data... So its Processor dependent.

Graphics are low priority for FM, no need to wrry to much about that.

Hmm.. Well... Processors are actually the main "Thing" that determines the price a laptop. You can find really average budget laptops with 16GB RAM and yet their processors are ****, mainly the low end Intel Celeron with 1.8 clock speed... And that wouldn't cut it for FM.

Like I said, RAM determines the quantity... Processor, Quality.
RAM is not a crucial thing, if a game requires 2GB of ram, it only needs 2GB.... Having more than 2GB won't help... because it will only use up 2GB... Even if you have 64GB. (You'd only need it if you are running 32 copies of FM)

FM is a game requires mainly processor, because most of the time the game is actually being processed sending out data... So its Processor dependent.

Graphics are low priority for FM, no need to wrry to much about that.

very true, but you really would struggle to find a poor processor in a new laptop from Currys/PC World etc. The processor, therefore, would not be an issue with a new laptop.

I'm no expert on all the spec-talk with laptops, but wouldn't a laptop with 2GB of RAM not be pushing at a limit of some sort? My old laptop had a decent processor, decent graphics card, all the rest... but it was blowing out it's **** from day one running a large database with many nations on FM.

I was only after a minimum of 6GB from a laptop, because I thought that would be a comfortable spec for FM alone, but the 16GB of RAM with my HP i have now was on a great deal and I had AutoCAD in mind for it too.

The HP laptop I bought was posted earlier in this thread, and it's only £120ish more than the OP's original post.

I'm running at warp speed right now anyway :D played 10 games in half an hour the other night.