Winamp 5.5 Beta & Winamp Remote

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The beta for Winamp 5.5 is available to download. The new skin that comes with it is basically to make Winamp look like iTunes and take iTunes <s>slaves</s> users over to winamp. Dont worry though if you don't want your winamp to look like iTunes as you can still use the old winamp skins :thup:

The Winamp remote feature is a feature i like the look of. Definately something I will use when i am in one of the computer labs at uni and i need some music to listen to!

I have attached some screenshots of it running on my computer.

Anyway here are a few of the new features...

- The Winamp Remote feature allows you to stream the music and videos on your home computer to any other computer, a Nintendo Wii, or a cellphone, simply by leaving your home computer on and logging in to winamp.com/remote (iTunes, on the other hand, only lets you stream to computers on your local nework). I demoed Winamp Remote on a Wii and found it ran smoothly, with an easy-to-learn interface.

- The Media Monitor feature lets you browse MP3 blogs within Winamp, automatically scraping the MP3s and assembling them into a playlist or allowing you to download any of the tracks onto your computer. The default list of MP3 blogs includes AOL's own Spinner, Said the Gramophone, Stereogum, and others. In keeping with Winamp's emphasis on configurability, you can add or remove any MP3 blog you'd like.

- A sharing feature lets you email -- or text (!) -- a playlist to anyone you know. Just create the playlist and enter their email address or (music-capable) cellphone number; they receive an email or text message with a link to the playlist, which then streams from your computer. Playlists can be as short as one song, giving you a way to text message your friend the Jeffersons theme song just as he's leaving that hot job interview.

- Winamp still lets you create playlists with lots of precision, and now also includes a "more like this" button that creates an instant playlist out of any song in your collection using Gracenote's "sounds like" database -- sort of like Pandora for your own music collection.

- The Winamp 5.5 interface features one big window (which its designers call the "bento box"), rather than the multitude of windows that dogged previous versions of Winamp. The new look allows you to access your music, Shoutcast stations, MP3 blogs, concert tickets, and online videos within a tabbed interface.

- You can find concert tickets or videos associated with an artist by clicking on their name within the app; depending on how you have it configured, you'll see videos from AOL's Truveo, which indexes YouTube and other sites, and/or concert tickets from a number of partners.

hmm ok fine i will dl it and check it out see what i think of it.

i see your fm 08 beta in one of the screenies :mad:

Reading about this earlier aswell. Bit disgusted at the whole meaty media player look they've got now. Good job you can still use skins though.

- Winamp still lets you create playlists with lots of precision, and now also includes a "more like this" button that creates an instant playlist out of any song in your collection using Gracenote's "sounds like" database -- sort of like Pandora for your own music collection.

That's the best new feature... well untill they sort out their ******* rating system which wipes itself everytime I have about 1500 song ratings. :(

i see your fm 08 beta in one of the screenies :mad:

I bet he included it on purpose. :)

I'm sure he found an excuse to post a picture with his fm07 beta in the background last year too. :)

Infraction for Lloyd as well, tut tut.

I will stick to iTunes i think!

and there are many threads in there with the same title Craven...

Ok I've tried out the "Play Similar Songs" thing and it's worked well so far. The album art view in the media library is pretty cool as well if you're sad like me and have album art for pretty much everything. The built in album art downloader could be better though, doesn't give you any input it just gets ones they think match.

and there are many threads in there with the same title Craven...

So true. :D

ok i have been using it tonight and i just dont like winamp never have and i dont think i ever will.

woooo i can finally stream music onto my 360

I havn't tried streaming to my 360 yet, although I don't really need to as I have been using Windows Media Connect to do that and it has been working fine :)