Ubernisation

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody actually ever uses wing backs in their formation? I can honestly say I have never tried a formation with wing backs. I'm not asking for advice on how to use them, I have no plans to do so, but I would just like to see if it's just me or if lots of others people haven't used them either.

Cheers, Simon.

I used to have attacking wingbacks all the time but now I only use full backs :p

I did but it was for my Dinamo squad, it was a defensive formation in the champions league when I was up against teams like Juve, Barca etc.

I did but it was for my Dinamo squad, it was a defensive formation in the champions league when I was up against teams like Juve, Barca etc.

I'm under the impression that Wing Backs are meant to be aimed at more offensive formations.

nope, but technically in my formation, I have my players set in the DL and DR positions, but their player rolls are wing backs and not fullbacks.

I don't think that wingbacks on the wingback position are an good idea. There are too many gaps in your defence flanks then.

In one of my tactics on the download page, I have 2 wing backs being used

With a flat back four I use players in wing back role quite often and when I'm desperate for a goal and push players forward I move the right and left backs to wing back position. Although on one game I did use a formation with three central defenders and wing backs.

I always use Wing Backs in a flat back four to provide the crosses. I use 4-2-3-1 formation with two inside forwards out wide so all/most of my crosses come from my full backs, therefore, I make them more attacking.

Seems people do actually use them. I may give it a go some time, but I just feel with the formations I use that the full backs are attacking enough already, and to make them into wing backs would give limited attacking gain but could harm us greatly in defence.

Seems people do actually use them. I may give it a go some time, but I just feel with the formations I use that the full backs are attacking enough already, and to make them into wing backs would give limited attacking gain but could harm us greatly in defence.

I've never had a problem with them in the flat back 4. I have them set to automatic so their style changes to what I set the team to.

I play with AM wingers, so while my fullbacks will occasionally push the ball into the opposition half, they usually give it up to my more creative and lethal AM wingers. However they do put in the occasional cross and key through ball, even a shot here and there. I don't usually have problems with them tracking back as long as they have good work rate.

I've never had a problem with them in the flat back 4. I have them set to automatic so their style changes to what I set the team to.

I play with AM wingers, so while my fullbacks will occasionally push the ball into the opposition half, they usually give it up to my more creative and lethal AM wingers. However they do put in the occasional cross and key through ball, even a shot here and there. I don't usually have problems with them tracking back as long as they have good work rate.

Well last season my left back had the most assists in my team with 13 whilst we only conceded 28 goals- so I can't really see the offensive boost of wing backs really has any point.

I was wondering that yesterday to be honest. I was changing tactics in a game to go more defensive. I guess if you looked at the difference in the sliders between setting them to fullback or wing back, it may make more sense.

I assume fullbacks play slightly more defensively minded, but that doesn't stop a good player from getting assists, especially if he is your lone wing player on that side.

I was wondering that yesterday to be honest. I was changing tactics in a game to go more defensive. I guess if you looked at the difference in the sliders between setting them to fullback or wing back, it may make more sense.

I assume fullbacks play slightly more defensively minded, but that doesn't stop a good player from getting assists, especially if he is your lone wing player on that side.

But that's the thing, I play with two wingers and two full backs, and my full backs give plenty of offensive assistance but not at the cost of defensive duties. I can't imagine that pushing that left back to a wingback would aid in the creativity of my team as the left winger is already doing his fair share of work anyway.

EDIT: Just an extra thought- in the game generally it is much easier to find a good winger than a good full back. So when I do find a good full back I think of them as more of a commodity than a good winger- and for this reason I don't want to waste them in attack when i've got perfectly good wingers already.

Last edited:
I used them but when Evra and Alves retired i understand that i need some hard man both offence and deffence to get the team going. With Rafael on the right the def is bad and i get goals assisted from there :/

But that's the thing, I play with two wingers and two full backs, and my full backs give plenty of offensive assistance but not at the cost of defensive duties. I can't imagine that pushing that left back to a wingback would aid in the creativity of my team as the left winger is already doing his fair share of work anyway.

I forgot that you are on fm09. fm10 has the different player rolls. On FM09 moving him to the wingback position would also require you to tweak his sliders. If you left your fullback sliders the same and just moved him to WB, all you have done is pushed him up the pitch.

On FM10 you can have a FB in a flat 4 defense, but have his roll as a wingback instead of fullback. I'm almost positive it will change his slider settings. I'll check tomorrow if I have time, it's going to be a busy day (paper due)

I forgot that you are on fm09. fm10 has the different player rolls. On FM09 moving him to the wingback position would also require you to tweak his sliders. If you left your fullback sliders the same and just moved him to WB, all you have done is pushed him up the pitch.

On FM10 you can have a FB in a flat 4 defense, but have his roll as a wingback instead of fullback. I'm almost positive it will change his slider settings. I'll check tomorrow if I have time, it's going to be a busy day (paper due)

Aha I realise there are some difference in 10, maybe i'll try it out if I ever get that game :p

And commiserations on the paper, I have first year uni exams to revise for- sucks.

There is actually no specific need of using wing backs when your RB and LB are given role as AUTOMATIC.
Most of the times they will run forward as offensive wingers and deliver crosses in the box.
In my team Gareth Bale on left and Darijo Srna on right provide perfect offensive support.

Tried a 4-2-4 once with the wingbacks in advanced positions and still conceded the least goals in the league. It depends on the quality of the players in your team (obvs).