Billy Bryant

Reaction score
So i've been around the forums for a long time, not particularly active but I check out posts a lot and get involved every now and again (once or twice a year :p)

I was reading some tactical discussion from a real life manager a few years ago that was linked on here, I don't remember who it was now but I know he was closely linked to a lot of top managers of the modern game.

Regardless of all of that, I began researching it because I couldn't get tactics working myself. Since then, I use wing backs and a DM in most of my formations, this provides the triangles in defence to cut out passes and to provide opportunities to work the ball out of defence easier.

I've also tried CAM instead of DM and it works, but not as well imo.

In the past i've used one up front with two attacking wingers and now I use three free roaming false nine attackers so my offence is completely fluid whilst my defence is solid.

From all of my experience it's not important the exact formation, but try to imagine how the tactics will work on the field. I would suggest giving wing backs a try, they are wildly underrated and i've found them to be ridiculously useful. You do become weak to crosses so maybe focus on taller defenders but the DM (if you choose to use one) will help to sure up your defence against down the middle play.

I will post a tactic soon that i've worked with this year, based partially on other successful tactics and partially on triangles, WB and how I want my team to play. So far i've promoted Maidenhead to League One in four seasons despite being favourites to go down. The tactic 100% over-performs, I haven't tried it with a big team yet but I can't imagine it wouldn't work.