Desmond91

Reaction score
Is it impossible (even this year) tell the wingers to come back when not in possession like Robben in Guardiola' Bayern Munchen tactic?

It's heartbreaking to see that they do not help to defend...!

I noticed that all the players that put in "three-quarters" don't come back... :/

I man mark their Wingers with my wingers, forces them to come back and leaves my FB's free to use Zonal Marking

and how do you do that marking? in opp instruc?

Unless you're using Defensive Wingers, their natural instructions are to stay upfront. An Winger is essentially a wide forward so they do very little defensively unless you instruct them to.

Brendn is spot on here. The focus of this year's game is on AML & AMR playing as Inside Forwards, like Ronaldo, Robben, Bale and the rest.

Can't remember a previous version where AMCs & strikers had realistic performance stats.

Have you tried defensive winger?

Unless you're using Defensive Wingers, their natural instructions are to stay upfront. An Winger is essentially a wide forward so they do very little defensively unless you instruct them to.

Defensive wingers aren't what you're implying. They're still wingers, but their role is to win the ball higher up the pitch (useful with pressing sides) and then play like a winger, once they have the ball. They are more defensive than normal wingers, but the name is fairly misleading.

the get the winger's to track back as has been said already give them man marking vs opposition wingers, can also try playing then in the M strata rather than the AM strata. Also try have wingers with high stamina/work rate/teamwork and they'll track back.

For example look at James Milner, you use him he'll more likely track back and tackle than flairy wingers with no stamina/work rate regardless of tactics

Defensive wingers aren't what you're implying. They're still wingers, but their role is to win the ball higher up the pitch (useful with pressing sides) and then play like a winger, once they have the ball. They are more defensive than normal wingers, but the name is fairly misleading.

Whenever I've used Defensive wingers, they tended to hang back and defend in-line with my midfield; as opposed to staying behind the opposition full backs. Maybe I had created a freak tactic and assumed that was normal :p

Whenever I've used Defensive wingers, they tended to hang back and defend in-line with my midfield; as opposed to staying behind the opposition full backs. Maybe I had created a freak tactic and assumed that was normal :p
To be honest, they do help defensively, but they win the ball back higher-up as opposed to dropping deep (? la Eto'o for Mourinho at Inter) and sitting just in front of full-backs. I think the best way to implement 'defensive wingers' is to retrain players to wing-back and play them as a Complete Wing-Back (I think that's what they're called). Like I said, you were right in assuming they are more defensive than normal wingers, but they're not really that ​defensive.

True. To be fair, Wingers are an attacking outlet, ready to receive a pass when possession is won so I don't think it's realistic to expect them to track back into the defensive line (we don't expect our strikers to sit beside our DMC's and attack on running CM's eh :p )

I've always seen them as wide strikers who can cross so I never expected much from them defensively. Maybe harass the back 4 or put pressure on the midfield but wide defending is the FB's job.

Would it not be better training them as a ML or MR rather than a Wing Back? As the wing back is in line with the DM isn't he? I'm tempted retrain all my wide AM's to normal Wide Midfielders to help defensively, as I normally play a 4-5-1 with DM, 2 MC's and 2 wide AM's, but against tougher teams I feel I would be better having the same tactics but as a 4-1-4-1 possibly.