Jden86

Reaction score
No matter what I seem to do, I can't get wingers to cross more. Even with a right foot on the right side with "looks for pass rather than score", "knocks ball past opponent", "dribbles down the right" high team work and crossing attributes. Instructions to exploit the flanks, playing wide ect.

My wingers still cut in or at least come to the top of the box to receive the ball more often than not.

In past FM's I have always killed it with 2 wingers and a poacher, with wingers on both sides picking up 15-20 assists a season and probly 10-15 goals, they were the key to my teams, now I struggle.

It doesn't seem to matter, the players, the formation, the roles.

Any help or suggestions???

This...
Instructions to exploit the flanks, playing wide ect.
...and this...
It doesn't seem to matter, the players, the formation, the roles.
...doesn't help.

You need to list what you're instructing - all of it, because something may be affecting their decision making and tendencies. I'm having no issues getting wingers to cross, so you must be telling them not to, somehow.

Maybe at the moment im instructing to 'work ball into box'. But thats because ive tried everything, I know its counter productive to crossing. If i take it off, it doesnt change anything.

Maybe at the moment im instructing to 'work ball into box'. But thats because ive tried everything, I know its counter productive to crossing. If i take it off, it doesnt change anything.
I can't imagine why you'd keep it if you want crosses and you know this reduces crosses. Anyway.

---

"My wingers still cut in"

Are they cutting in with the ball? If they are, is there space to beat the fullback on the outside? The reason I ask is because you're player incredibly wide and wingers are also supposed to hug the line too.

Both, but more often without the ball, they come inside n then receive the ball n try n dribble in traffic and take long wild shots.

Both, but more often without the ball, they come inside n then receive the ball n try n dribble in traffic and take long wild shots.
They will narrow in very advanced positions without the ball. You can't do anything about that except pull them back to ML/MR.

Have you tried playing fluid? I think fluid would fit your formation, at least to cover the gap between your defence and mid.

Anyway I always thought you need to be more narrow if you wanted wide players to have space and be your asissts guys. By playing higher and wider you are IMHO reducing their playing space, so they can hardly be effective at anything.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing fluid? I think fluid would fit your formation, at least to cover the gap between your defence and mid.

Anyway I always thought you need to be more narrow if you wanted wide players to have space and be your asissts guys. By playing higher and wider you are IMHO reducing their playing space, so they can hardly be effective at anything.

I have done fluid, but if u reckon playing higher and wider might be my problem i will try narrow n deeper, because honestly I almost always play slightly higher and slightly wider.

well, in that case you may be wanting a different formation for your prefered style (crossing). I have tried working out this 4231 wide, and I made it work well, but wingers kept cutting inside, possibly because we played control and by doing so, encouraged our fullback to provide width while winger cuts in. I think a counter mentality and a 4123DMWide could provide what you are looking for. Anyway, this is my final version of 4231 Wide:

View attachment 95616

I'm not entirely sure if my thought process is right with this one, maybe WJ can confirm this or not but... why don't you try to play narrower and then exploit the wings that way?

Just an idea, I'm thinking that could open more space up on the wings for your wingers to attempt crosses.

Like I said, I could be wrong so maybe the better tacticians could set this idea right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely sure if my thought process is right with this one, maybe WJ can confirm this or not but... why don't you try to play narrower and then exploit the wings that way?

Just an idea, I'm thinking that could open more space up on the wings for your wingers to attempt crosses.

Like I said, I could be wrong so maybe the better tacticians could set this idea right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that would be perfectly sensible in terms of controlling space. However, they still wouldnt hug the line with control mentality but instead they would cut in and then cross from closer range. Counter mentality would be IMHO perfect for crossing from byline without any instructions.

I have work ball into the box enabled and my wingers cross all the time, I think stick to postion is your problem because you dont want your wingers to stick to their postion you want them running down the wings and crossing.

I also agree that switching fluid should help as well.

I just finished a season where my winter got 36 assists in all comps. A few inputs from my end:

1. Try one winger on support and one on attack, to mix things up.
2. Both your wing backs are pushing up, and essentially will be occupying th same space as your wingers. Try changing them to support - I've noticed overlaps occur much better with IF. Changing to support will also create depth- the fullback will push up to cover your wingback, leaving the winger open to receive the ball
3. Pass into space works better when your team is sitting deep- since you are pressing high, I would remove this as it will lead to unnecessary turnover in possession
4. Is your right winger isolated? Based on your roles, I don't see anyone who will consistently feed him
5. Your P and AM are attacking the box... Are they fall? Quick? You should change crossing type based on this. I do,low crosses and get plenty of assists
6. Why stick to positions? This might be limiting the ability of the wingers to receive the ball
7. Work ball into box reduces crossing as well as long shots, as mentioned

First i dont think you should be playing that formation if ya want alot of crosses from your wingers. Would prefer the good old 442. the other thing about the lack of crosses could be this - Your wingers PPM, pls check, he must not have the cut in PPM.
I would agree with WJ that work it into the box would generate less cross. maybe u can try hit the early crosses. Also pass into space would the same as work it into the box as this generally get your players to play thru balls more.
one last thing, its an observation and i cant confirm but playing wingers at the AM position seem to make them cross alot less. this is due to the formation especially like the one u r using. the 4 players are usually close to each other even if u have wide width. hence the pass into space (eg thru ball) is seen as a better option and they tend to cut in especially if ya fb comes up to the AM or the 3rd attacking half of the field. More crossing can be seen (less cutting in) when u play your wingers in the Mid position instead of the AM position. this i feel is because they would receive the ball more often in the Mid area of the field and hence have a longer distance to speed near the by line and then beat a man or 2 to do the killer cross.
try the old school diamond 41211 if u insist of keep the AMC, as for me if i really want the crosses its a 442 variant with the midfielders playing in the DM position

Last edited:
I just finished a season where my winter got 36 assists in all comps. A few inputs from my end:

1. Try one winger on support and one on attack, to mix things up.
2. Both your wing backs are pushing up, and essentially will be occupying th same space as your wingers. Try changing them to support - I've noticed overlaps occur much better with IF. Changing to support will also create depth- the fullback will push up to cover your wingback, leaving the winger open to receive the ball
3. Pass into space works better when your team is sitting deep- since you are pressing high, I would remove this as it will lead to unnecessary turnover in possession
4. Is your right winger isolated? Based on your roles, I don't see anyone who will consistently feed him
5. Your P and AM are attacking the box... Are they fall? Quick? You should change crossing type based on this. I do,low crosses and get plenty of assists
6. Why stick to positions? This might be limiting the ability of the wingers to receive the ball
7. Work ball into box reduces crossing as well as long shots, as mentioned

got a download link for your tactic?