Ramsdal

Reaction score
Hello

I play a 4-2-3-1 and i have yet to find a solution to get my amr and aml to drop deep and defend. Any find a solution. 6 out of the 7 goals i have conceded have come from open play where my back has been caught out and their fullback is wide open and my winger just standing alone on top and not marking their fullback.

I play with Control, short passes to keep possession + zonal marking. My fullbacks are on automatic and my wingers are inside forwards.

I have tried tight marking on wingers but i beg to see the difference. View attachment 281744

Set in the settings mark specific player and set it to the full backs. Do this wen setting OI just before the game then save the tactic and wen the games finished load the tactic with the settings on all the time.

Inside forward attack, unless you change the players mentality, marking and runs differently to the default settings they wont drop back.

Not only that its also very reliant on the player attitudes. For example, i get Valencia tracking all the way back (high teamwork and work rate), whereas Nani doesn't as much defensive work at all

Also, have your wingers (or some other player) mark the full back TIGHT. This should help.

Not only that its also very reliant on the player attitudes. For example, i get Valencia tracking all the way back (high teamwork and work rate), whereas Nani doesn't as much defensive work at all
Wasn't it mentioned in he patch notes that they were working on tweaking wingers a bit so they would drop a bit deeper when defending etc?

Wasn't it mentioned in he patch notes that they were working on tweaking wingers a bit so they would drop a bit deeper when defending etc?

I'd have to check, but even the tweak wouldnt force a player to get all the wya back if he hasnt got the work rate. You will not get Ronaldo protectiing the entire left flank, because he hasnt got the attributes to work hard enough for the team to do it consistently.

EDIT: there is a tweak. presumably to make formations like 4-2-3-1 defend as 4-4-1-1 as they do real life, but low work rate players will not do it consistently.

Tried against Swansea to man-mark the full back. But even Gerrard just stood and watched for a few seconds, then the moment after rushed from the midfield to man mark the FB when he got the ball for the second time. I more or less want my defensive shape to apear more compact.
I will try setting them as support and tight marking to make this better.

I im finding it hard make the team defend as a tight unit. I want the Cm's to be closer my CB and my wingers deeper down but i feel the ME is hard to work with.

Is it the mentality i need to work with to adjust the positioning of the player?

Tried against Swansea to man-mark the full back. But even Gerrard just stood and watched for a few seconds, then the moment after rushed from the midfield to man mark the FB when he got the ball for the second time. I more or less want my defensive shape to apear more compact.
I will try setting them as support and tight marking to make this better.

I im finding it hard make the team defend as a tight unit. I want the Cm's to be closer my CB and my wingers deeper down but i feel the ME is hard to work with.

Is it the mentality i need to work with to adjust the positioning of the player?

Yes mentality effects it to. Not only his position, but most importantly it dictates how much he should focus on his attacking and defensive assignments. So a player on mixed in all settings will make t-balls, runs from deep more often if he is given the highest of mentality than he would if setting him on the lowest. And the other way around, the defensive player will be more likely to mark and close down the opposition than the one on a high mentality .

Try putting them on "support" mode. Than change them from inside forward to wingers, but on player instructions tick "cut inside" instead of "hug touchline".

As a result they will be much more part of defensive and attacking game, still cutting inside and acting as kind of a striker.

Cheers, and good game!

I'd switch between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 depending on the opposition & current flow of the match as teams do in ''real football''. 4-4-2 defending with two, deep banks of four and having the front two looking for quick breaks- other one of the two retaining the striker role he has in your primary tactic (poacher, target man, whatever you have) and the other one acting as a catalyst of the counter attacks. A trequartista or a deep-lying forward with forward runs set to never type-of-roles would be my recommendation for the other ''striker''. Also, if you set your team play through the middle, the wide men will look to closely support the attacking duo when a break occurs rather than looking to break into width.

A fine example of that 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 would be how Dortmund has set-up in the UCL or Arsenal* away from home this season.

When setting up as a 4-2-3-1 (the two in CM positions) you'll be looking to control the ball, and in the process you'll be sacrificing some defensive solidity no matter what. I wouldn't personally mark the FB's, or at least not both, since that stretches your shape so much. So if you think you'll be dominating the possession, yet there's an opposing wing-tandem on one flank that worries you, use man marking for that flank only. I think that'd give you nice balance between attacking and organisation.

* The invincibles were rather similar as well, but Henry's role was quite a bit different as opposed to how Arsenal (among other teams) line-up these days. He was basically an inside forward on the left, making runs on the outside as well as in the channel between the LB and LCB. Bergkamp's role wasn't too different from, let's say, Carzorla's- so effectively they played a strikerless formation.

Last edited:
When setting up as a 4-2-3-1 (the two in CM positions) you'll be looking to control the ball, and in the process you'll be sacrificing some defensive solidity no matter what. I wouldn't personally mark the FB's, or at least not both, since that stretches your shape so much. So if you think you'll be dominating the possession, yet there's an opposing wing-tandem on one flank that worries you, use man marking for that flank only. I think that'd give you nice balance between attacking and organisation.

I will try to test later to set them as wingers but to cut inside on support.
I am trying to control the ball and therefor i need my wingers to be more defensive when not in possession.

I have the same problem with the AMC, which is on thight marking and man marking to the MC but does not drop with him.

I also have pressure high and close in and the defense line very high. The idea was to press outside the opponent area. The problem is that my forwards and wingers to it properly, but the midfield is too open and the keeper just passes to it and i get numerous attacks with my most advanced mans just looking at the ball.

More info:

AMR, AML, ST and AMC all in man marking
MC and DMC zonal
all defender on man marking also.

Should i change all to zonal?

I have all on zonal, but the cbs and cms and amc are set on tight marking. My amc is just running around doing nothing when I am not in possesion.
I am winning games but i can't seem to keep a clean sheet. I have lowered Closing down which seems to have worked a little but on my fullback as he doesn't seem to be caught out so much, but still need to get all three AM's to defend,.