Winning the ball back in Higher Pitch and Passing in within Midfield, not in my half

emman23

Reaction score
Im playing possesion football ala barca.. I have successed in my tactic, almost always 65% possesion in home regardless of team, and around 50% against top team in away match. But one thing bothered me, A lot of my tackles are quite deep in the field, i want them to win the ball high in the pitch. Do making my BWM, BBM and DM have attacking mentality means they'll try to win the ball higher in the pitch?

Also, is there a way of making my players pass the ball more in opponents half, bec. Centerbacks has the most passes in the game, and sometimes, they make mistakes allowing clear path to goal. Also my goalie sometimes do this as CB pass back to him and he was underpressure, kicking the ball high, then the opponent just win it in midfield 50/50..

My centerbacks and GK are statistically great in passing, 1st touch composure. I invest in making them a good Ball playing defender, though i play them as a normal Central Defender with mentality to the most defensive setting in the slider. Should i raise it a little, but keep the creative freedom and passing range to the minimum?

Thanks, i really need this, as i get whooped by quality team with high closing down. i want that also, high closing down, I always Select "Closing Down" on all my opponent in Opponent Instructions

I'll be honest I'm having a similar problem, most of my interceptions seem to be in my own half, but it could be due to you having more possession so the opposition play it long quickly, therefore not giving you the chance to win it back high up the pitch?#

Set your defensive line high and have players making forward runs to give options to pass to, don't make them too defensive as all they will do is pass backwards! :)

Also I find the best formations to have high possession involve lots of DM/CM to keep the ball and having Fullbacks seems to lower my % possession!

I have 65-75 % possesion most of the game. I even had 83% against ROMA!.. I set the mentality and passing range of my CB a little higher, just before the slider turns in to "Mixed".. Also i made by BWM run from deep to sometimes, that makes him a option i think.

I have wingbacks, in line with my DLP, my wingbacks are really good now, they are performing well.

can u upload this tactic? im trying desperately to create such a good possession tactic..
about the interceptions I remember that you can do it when you push up your players with high mentality like attacking, push higher up the field and the pressing to whole field even for the CB's i think this should work.
if you can upload the tactic i will be glad to check it.

can u upload this tactic? im trying desperately to create such a good possession tactic..
about the interceptions I remember that you can do it when you push up your players with high mentality like attacking, push higher up the field and the pressing to whole field even for the CB's i think this should work.
if you can upload the tactic i will be glad to check it.

I will upload it later when i use the desktop..

My defensive line is in the highest line.. I'd tried making my players more attacking mentality, it has OK results, but i keep getting caught by counter attack when they lob the ball, even though my CBs are great and fast.

Last edited:
Normal Wigan Best.tac

This is my tactic use, currently at 2nd at EPL after 15 matches. still competitive... A lot of my passing is in the center midfield or just inside my half. I hope you can edit it and make it better. My Wingbacks are very attacking players, though i set crossing to rarely, as i dont really have aerial threat, and i want to keep possesion and make it ground base. MY CBs are fast and can play BPD, though i prefer to play them as CD bec i just want a simple passing out of them.

MANUMAD - im going to read it, thanks..

If you're centre backs have a defensive mentality, they sit deeper, regardless of the team line.

If you're centre backs have a defensive mentality, they sit deeper, regardless of the team line.

So the mentality is the position they place themselves in? more attacking? higher in the pitch? would that make their decision making, i want them to sit higher, but i dont want them to make attacking moves, just pass them to nearest teammate , eg. Wingback or my DM..

So the mentality is the position they place themselves in? more attacking? higher in the pitch? would that make their decision making, i want them to sit higher, but i dont want them to make attacking moves, just pass them to nearest teammate , eg. Wingback or my DM..

Yeah, that's probably the biggest mistake people make when making tactics. They set their forwards too offensive, and defenders to defensive, and the shape of the team is over stretched.

Untick their sliders and watch how the game default settings change when you alter from Contain to Overload. That will give you an understanding of how they are meant to work.

Hi...This reply is to the original Poster of the thread...

Try these tips...I am sure they will help you get more tackles in the opponents half :D

Mentality settings: Let them be how you want your tactic played. Since you want to win tackles high up the pitch, I think you want to play attacking tactic..

Tackling instructions : Tackling must be set to HARD to all OFFENSIVE players..( Strikers, Inside forwards, Attacking midfielders, Wingers etc) However tackling should be set to normal for all CentreMids,Defensive players and DM's so that they dont give away penalty kicks.

Closing down instructions: Maxxed out for all your attacking players- including ur CM's

Marking: Zonal and loose marking..

Opposition instructions: These are very important...Set Opposition instruction for all CD's,Full backs, Goal keepers and DM's to be closed down ALWAYS and use HARD tackling on them..

Play a QUICK TEMPO and TIME WASTING to rarely...

Players with good work rate and stamina will be nice but not a must have. :)

Have fun ^^

I find "Press More" Or the "Hassle Opponents" shout has to be follow by the instructions More aggressive tackling. And the secret ingredient is "Very Rigid". I think of the settings from Fluid to Rigid as how closely players follow instructions. Fluidity and press more just seems to make the players go off randomly. Which sorta makes sense if you think of the setting as how closely a team follow a system.

Barcelona love their "fluid" attacking game but in fact their pressing is a highly coordinated effort with the 6 second rule. I find the very rigid setting does exactly what I would like to see 2 or 3 players closing the person with the ball quickly. But if they fail, quickly get back into shape.

Hi...This reply is to the original Poster of the thread...

Try these tips...I am sure they will help you get more tackles in the opponents half :D

Mentality settings: Let them be how you want your tactic played. Since you want to win tackles high up the pitch, I think you want to play attacking tactic..

Tackling instructions : Tackling must be set to HARD to all OFFENSIVE players..( Strikers, Inside forwards, Attacking midfielders, Wingers etc) However tackling should be set to normal for all CentreMids,Defensive players and DM's so that they dont give away penalty kicks.

Closing down instructions: Maxxed out for all your attacking players- including ur CM's

Marking: Zonal and loose marking..

Opposition instructions: These are very important...Set Opposition instruction for all CD's,Full backs, Goal keepers and DM's to be closed down ALWAYS and use HARD tackling on them..

Play a QUICK TEMPO and TIME WASTING to rarely...

Players with good work rate and stamina will be nice but not a must have. :)

Have fun ^^

I am doing the same thing exactly as this.

Closing down the defensive line on the opponent team unto "always" will let your AM's and FW pressuring high on the pitch.

With regards to the CBs, Setting them with an attacking mentality will help them rarely pass the ball back, I also set them up to move to channels to play a little wider when your team have the ball.

With regards to CM, especially my PM, i set him to roam, and to hold the ball. So he can really dictate. on my barca save, Xavi always run an average of 14 km to 16 km. Almost all over the pitch.

My team always have the def 3rd - max of 10% possession, mid 3rd - 40-50% possession, and 15-20% possession on the final 3rd.