WJ or anyone, i score alot but concede too much.

dilakh2

Reaction score
its essentially a high pressure system, i win the ball as quickly as i can. then the whole team bar the centre halfs push up. i get about 5 or 6 in the box and 2 lurking outside with the fulbacks supporting. scores many and i dominate. but i feel if i didnt have good centrehalves then any ball over the top especially when i play against fast strikers i get caught out.

i play two versions of this system. i usually listen to my assman who if he says they are vunerable 4 2 3 1 formation. if not the other version. the wingers effectively act as inside forward on some occasions or an extra striker, because they can focus on getting in behind or coming inside when they like.

anywayy thank you for the help, if anyone helps.

First of all, you have no one protecting the back line that's certainly got to be one of the causes to your defensive woes.

Exactly. Attacking mentality and (apart from the obvious DCs) nobody has a defend duty. You're open on the counter. You're open in general. The gap between midfield and defence is a problem. I'm surprised that you are surprised about conceding a lot with this setup.

the whole team bar the centre halfs push up. i get about 5 or 6 in the box and 2 lurking outside with the fulbacks supporting.

You've answered your own question. Your plan is to outscore the opponent. Defense is not a concern in your tactic so you're guarenteed to conceed.

well, I think the wide formation could work well with the piggy in the middle style. Play wide and deep and keep short passing with low tempo to make them chase you and to create chances...or you can play on counter with the narrow formation, basically the opposite of piggy in the middle, direct passes, narrow play with pushing higher up and high tempo

Exactly. Attacking mentality and (apart from the obvious DCs) nobody has a defend duty. You're open on the counter. You're open in general. The gap between midfield and defence is a problem. I'm surprised that you are surprised about conceding a lot with this setup.

so shall i switch one of the midfield to anchor so he can protect the back 4?. but wont this make me get overrun in midfield because i will have one cm a and the rest attacking mids.

btw, my attacking mid what instructions should i give them. because i have the main attacking mid (A) i tell him too roam from position. but the attacking mid (S) who flank the attacking mid a often get lost in the game, they may pop up with goals here and their but not enough precense whilst the game is going on.

You could try putting and anchor, you could try setting one of the CM's to a defend duty, you could also try changing the team shape to fluid or very fluid. I believe this encourages the attackers to also defend if I'm not wrong.

You could try putting and anchor, you could try setting one of the CM's to a defend duty, you could also try changing the team shape to fluid or very fluid. I believe this encourages the attackers to also defend if I'm not wrong.

ty will try.

so shall i switch one of the midfield to anchor so he can protect the back 4?. but wont this make me get overrun in midfield because i will have one cm a and the rest attacking mids.
Right now you're not getting overrun because it's stupidly easy to bypass everyone. They're all bombing forward. Your most defensive player will be on tge edge of the box. More than just a holding player you need reel in a few duties.

The 4231 defends with a box of 4 players the two cms and the two dcs. This allows the fullbacks to get forward and is hard to break down.

I don't think there is too much of a gap between your defense and midfield, you have a CB on stopper duty and are playing push higher up with a mentality that already uses a high line.

The obvious issue is with the duties for the 4 players in the center of the pitch, a stopper/cover partnership will split your cb's and will expose you to long balls/balls into the channel. Also they will not be keeping in line so the offside trap will be easy to bypass.

a deeplying playmaker on support is a good choice in the cm spot, he will not roam too much and will play outside the box when in possession, he will carry the ball up from the back well. His partner a cm(a) will look to make penetrating runs into the box and not provide cover defensively. a simple change to defensive duty for this player should help.

Last edited:
Right now you're not getting overrun because it's stupidly easy to bypass everyone. They're all bombing forward. Your most defensive player will be on tge edge of the box. More than just a holding player you need reel in a few duties.

ive decided to drop the high line, change one of the midfielders to anchorman and the other to centre mid autamatic. ive told the anchor to hold position break and play and pass short. this is or the wid formation, which will be my more defensive tacticc. the other

The 4231 defends with a box of 4 players the two cms and the two dcs. This allows the fullbacks to get forward and is hard to break down.

I don't think there is too much of a gap between your defense and midfield, you have a CB on stopper duty and are playing push higher up with a mentality that already uses a high line.

The obvious issue is with the duties for the 4 players in the center of the pitch, a stopper/cover partnership will split your cb's and will expose you to long balls/balls into the channel. Also they will not be keeping in line so the offside trap will be easy to bypass.

a deeplying playmaker on support is a good choice in the dm spot, he will not roam too much and will play outside the box when in possession, he will carry the ball up from the back well. His partner a cm(a) will look to make penetrating runs into the box and not provide cover defensively. a simple change to defensive duty for this player should help.

thanks man i will also try your changes and see what works best. so are you saying i should get rid of the cd stopper/cover partnership and just try both as defend so they are in line with each other.

thanks man i will also try your changes and see what works best. so are you saying i should get rid of the cd stopper/cover partnership and just try both as defend so they are in line with each other.

If you are pplaying attack duty I think play off side is on by default, so yeah this would be better.

If you are pplaying attack duty I think play off side is on by default, so yeah this would be better.

i done the changes you recommended. and i kept a clean sheet in an important game against lyon. beat them 4 nill. the centre halves stayed in line and because i pushed higher up they squeezed their midfield and strikers back. i changed the cm to autamatic and he scored a brace. and the other midfielder i dropped him to deeplying playermaker defend and he sprayed the ball whilst sitting and breaking up play. only problem was the attacking mid was rendered useless because the cm autamatic took up his positions when attacking.

i done the changes you recommended. and i kept a clean sheet in an important game against lyon. beat them 4 nill. the centre halves stayed in line and because i pushed higher up they squeezed their midfield and strikers back. i changed the cm to autamatic and he scored a brace. and the other midfielder i dropped him to deeplying playermaker defend and he sprayed the ball whilst sitting and breaking up play. only problem was the attacking mid was rendered useless because the cm autamatic took up his positions when attacking.

Excellent mate its a step in the right direction

The reason a cm on automatic is taking up the space of the amc is because on attacking an automatic duty is attacking. So it would be best to set it yourself

Excellent mate its a step in the right direction

The reason a cm on automatic is taking up the space of the amc is because on attacking an automatic duty is attacking. So it would be best to set it yourself

i think i might get rid of the amc, play two up top, keep the advanced forward and change the amc too a deep lying forward support, to link up the last striker andthe midfielder. because sometimes he can get isolated.