WM Arsenal 1930's Renovation tactic- 3-2-2-2-1

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 37K

maxy67

Reaction score
Updated- Now keeping possession over 60% in most games, Roles and PI's have been changed.

This tactic is the WM from the classic arsenal team of the 1930’s and was used up until the 60’s in England- The formation could be described as a 3-2-2-2-1 or a 3-2-5.

This is the second in a series of tactics that I’ll be making looking at renovating classic tactics from teams of the past. Previously I had made a renovation of the classic Catenaccio tactic of the 1960’s (which can be seen here for people who like defensive football as much as me: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...2-grande-inter-1963-1967-unbeaten-tactic.html ) - a defensive tactic that was used with huge success by the two managers of the Milanese teams- Inter (with Herrera) and Milan (Rocco). I will later try to recreate- total football, zona mista and other classic tactical systems.
But first I’ve made a tactic that is possibly the oldest tactic that could be created in modern day football (before that teams always played with 2 at the back and 5 up front, this changed due to the change in the offside rule - which before 1925 had required three opposing players be between an opponent and the goal when the ball was played)

Here is some background that I’ve paraphrased from this website Formation Renovation: Arsenal 1930-1934 | The Other 87 about the WM and the legendary arsenal team of the 1930’s:

Here though, is basically what you need to know about the WM. It’s generally accepted that Herbert Chapman, formerly manager of Northampton, Leeds and Huddersfield and as of 1925 manager of Arsenal, and his captain Charlie Buchan converted what was a central midfield player — the center-half — of a 2-3-5 into a central defender in response a change made in the offside law, which before 1925 had required three opposing players be between an opponent and the goal when the ball was played. The change provided extra coverage at the back — previously two defenders was more viable because both, theoretically, could always play with the opposition in front of them, otherwise that person was offsides.
From this platform, Chapman spent five years assembling an Arsenal squad that fit his vision, a team that could play fast, counter-attacking soccer, getting the ball forward quickly to take advantage of the space left by the gobs of men teams were throwing forward at the time. Which they did quite well, scoring 127 goals in the league in 1930-31. (Nevermind that that was also the year that Aston Villa set the record for most top-flight goals in a season with 128).
As we discuss our selections for the team, think of the shape almost as an accordion: in defense, the three non-forward lines fall back, defending more or less with seven men at varying levels and with the wing halves – that’s Bob John and Charlie Jones – and defenders only applying heavy pressure close to the 18-yard box. Then when the ball was won, the players expanded, the forwards moving forward looking for the long pass, the middle stretching, until the wing-half line caught up with them and they were attacking with seven men once more. In that sense, they were among the first, certainly in England, to make use of the idea that would spark generations of Dutch teams — that the pitch should be made smaller when your opponents have the ball and larger when you do.

Roles explained:

Full backs- (Set to support)- The PI changes I’ve made are: set the two fullbacks mentality to a little defensive and offered them less creative freedom.

Centre back: Limited Defender

Defensive Mids: I have set up one defensive mid to defend and the other to support play- Meaning they are both their to protect the defence, but one recycles play with the back three and the other one gets forward and helps out the midfield.

One Trequista and One Advanced playmaker just behind the front three- this helps supply to the front three and create more space for all attacking players, the treq will also chip in with a few goals

Two inside Forwards- Instead of wingers which were used in the 30's, I have used inside forwards to cut inside and try to score or set up goals which is a much more modern concept

Complete forward (support)- With the complete forward set to support, he is supposed to set up goals as well as score them- I much prefer this to setting the role to poacher as it helps the overall team performance

I have screenshots of some teams I’ve holidayed with and the results, also the screenshots below show what the tactic looks like as well as the old arsenal team. I intend to start a career that I’ll stick with over a season with Dynamo Kyiev.

If you have any questions please ask, and if you want me to write up more information I will happily do it.
This tactic is the WM from the classic arsenal team of the 1930’s and was used up until the 60’s in England- The formation could be described as a 3-2-2-2-1.It could be best described as a very attacking tactic.

View attachment 204493View attachment 204494

Last edited:
An extremely interesting tactic and formation based on a legendary and what I thought, long forgotten side.

Would absolutely love to find a team capable of completely utilizing this tactic to its maximum potential.

I like the style/formation :) and the OP is detailed to!

However the tactic itself and the match results are not great mate!

Porto is easy in the Liga Sagres and you should be getting more CCC's, more possession and shutting them out more! Vit Guimeres & Setubal, you only managed to create 1 CCC too!

They were good wins scoreline wise but that is because of your much superior players!

The City vs Bayern game, also a good result but the CCC"s you created and the CCC"s they created were too little and too much resectively! you had less possession while playing at home too!

Chievo game you managed 2 CCC"s with their 2 CCC"s and never managed to score another goal even after they were given a red card on the 55th minute :)

City vs QPR, good win yes, only 1 CCC and a red card!

It could be a very good tactic but some issues need to be ironed out!

I would change the IF to attacking mid and adv playmaker, the Dm's to a DLP for your long balls and a Dm - support to win the ball back and or connect to the Amc's while having the one drop deep to get the ball to look up and play in your 3 attackers?

I like the style/formation :) and the OP is detailed to!

However the tactic itself and the match results are not great mate!

Porto is easy in the Liga Sagres and you should be getting more CCC's, more possession and shutting them out more! Vit Guimeres & Setubal, you only managed to create 1 CCC too!

They were good wins scoreline wise but that is because of your much superior players!

The City vs Bayern game, also a good result but the CCC"s you created and the CCC"s they created were too little and too much resectively! you had less possession while playing at home too!

Chievo game you managed 2 CCC"s with their 2 CCC"s and never managed to score another goal even after they were given a red card on the 55th minute :)

City vs QPR, good win yes, only 1 CCC and a red card!

It could be a very good tactic but some issues need to be ironed out!

I would change the IF to attacking mid and adv playmaker, the Dm's to a DLP for your long balls and a Dm - support to win the ball back and or connect to the Amc's while having the one drop deep to get the ball to look up and play in your 3 attackers?

Fantastic feedback, I also found this to be a problem the possesion especially- Not to great with the attacking side of formations so this was a big learning curve- I thought that the tactic could do more damage, and I'll probbably change the things you suggested. Changed the tactic and am testing out with Udinese and Napoli- see how it goes. Thanks for your input man was very helpful indeed, I'll send you a PM when I've made the changes, I was just maybe a little to eagre to get the tactic up since its quite unusal.

Last edited:
Have you read Jonathan Wilson's Inverting The Pyramid? Could help you with the WM.

Have you read Jonathan Wilson's Inverting The Pyramid? Could help you with the WM.

I haven't is this a book or do you have a link for it? Btw finished updating the tactic and its much much better now. I'll post it up in a min.

Very interesting tactic! First game I used it as Arsenal, won against Liverpool with 3-1 away. The changes Raikan suggested make it even better I think.

Vancleef1- Yeah his suggestions helped a lot, the attacking mid and the adv Pm helped make a lot more chances. As did changing the out and out wingers to inside forwards so they could help score more goals, I guess if you had andy carrol up front or something then wingers might be better but not for a lot of clubs. I also changed one of the def mid from defend to support, rather than a DLP which seemed to let more goals in. I completley left that to my assistant, and eveything else in the club. Glad you like the tactic mate, took me a while getting used to attacking formations after focusing on catenaccio and Zona mista.

Last edited:
Will try the updated one also. Thank you for a very unusual tactic mate!

Will try the updated one also. Thank you for a very unusual tactic mate!

No problem mate. The new updated version is much better. If you could post some of your results that would be great.

awesome, will definitely give this tactic a go - reading 'inverting the pyramid' now! i'll keep you updated on how the W-M goes for me.

re: some of the feedback, it's unfair to expect this tactic to keep possession - if you read the OP he talks about fast, counter-attacking, direct football against teams who put lots of men forward. so yes, even at home, this tactic won't have much possession, and that's OK - real-life stoke city have shown that you can do just fine without possession. =^)

maxy67, any team/league you'd like me to test it in?

Playing as Arsenal and I have bought quite a few new players.
I use Cavani up front and in this tactic he seems to perform best as a Target Player.
I use Neymar as Inside Forward behind him, he doesn't really perform as AMC.
Hamsik is good as Advanced Playmaker in this tactic.
Gervinho on the right seems to enjoy life as Inside Forward too.

Overall Im doing good with this tactic, but since it was very different from the one I used before, I think it takes time for the team to adopt it. I started using it in early October on the second season.

I have a question about the defender role. It is set at Limited Defender, does that mean that I should use a tall, strong but slow defender or does it not matter? Im currently using Hummels.

awesome, will definitely give this tactic a go - reading 'inverting the pyramid' now! i'll keep you updated on how the W-M goes for me.

re: some of the feedback, it's unfair to expect this tactic to keep possession - if you read the OP he talks about fast, counter-attacking, direct football against teams who put lots of men forward. so yes, even at home, this tactic won't have much possession, and that's OK - real-life stoke city have shown that you can do just fine without possession. =^)

maxy67, any team/league you'd like me to test it in?

Thanks for the input mate, hope the tactic works well for you. Any team you like, would probably work best with a team with good attacking players, if you could post your results that would be great.

Vancleef1- I think hummels should be able to do that job a lot better than the defenders I was using :), but yeah tall and strong would help.

I haven't is this a book or do you have a link for it? Btw finished updating the tactic and its much much better now. I'll post it up in a min.

Dude if you want the ow down on tactics get that book. I'm half way through. Too say that book is the best football purist book ever written is an understatement. It is revolutionary. My advise would be to by it asap.

Dude if you want the ow down on tactics get that book. I'm half way through. Too say that book is the best football purist book ever written is an understatement. It is revolutionary. My advise would be to by it asap.

Thanks man- I probably will buy it at some point cheers.

I've given this a shot with Lens, and I've got a few things to say

I find the attack is rather cumbersome- they could barely finish, or get into space. Well maybe because Lens don't have the most clinical strikers in the world. Its weird how the two AMCs are set to AM, but the striker is set to Complete Forward support- but has no one to really support.

To fix this, I recommend having the 2 as Trequartistas rather than AMs. This doubles your shot opportunities a lot. And do counter-attacking on, because it is actually part of the 1930s Arsenal tactic, if i'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, this is a mother-lovin' defensive tactic. I'm actually surprised by its tenacity and defence. In one game against Clermont Foot, they had the ball in the box, like 3 yards from goal, but the defence crowded round the goal and kicked it out, preserving a 1-0 lead. It's perfect away from home.

With my modifications- we trounced Monaco 3-0 at home, 2 from open play. We had 19 shots, they had 4. It looks promising though.

I recommend instructions- Get ball forward, pass to feet, pump ball into box, work ball into box, run at defence.

With better players, perhaps the damage will be more noticable.

Last edited:
I've given this a shot with Lens, and I've got a few things to say

I find the attack is rather cumbersome- they could barely finish, or get into space. Well maybe because Lens don't have the most clinical strikers in the world. Its weird how the two AMCs are set to AM, but the striker is set to Complete Forward support- but has no one to really support.

To fix this, I recommend having the 2 as Trequartistas rather than AMs. This doubles your shot opportunities a lot. And do counter-attacking on, because it is actually part of the 1930s Arsenal tactic, if i'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, this is a mother-lovin' defensive tactic. I'm actually surprised by its tenacity and defence. In one game against Clermont Foot, they had the ball in the box, like 3 yards from goal, but the defence crowded round the goal and kicked it out, preserving a 1-0 lead. It's perfect away from home.

With my modifications- we trounced Monaco 3-0 at home, 2 from open play. We had 19 shots, they had 4. It looks promising though.

I recommend instructions- Get ball forward, pass to feet, pump ball into box, work ball into box, run at defence.

With better players, perhaps the damage will be more noticable.

use brasil tactic..works like a charm

Back