ScyllaJoe

Reaction score
I'm currently 22 league games in to my 3rd season managing Wolfsburg, the first season I finished 5th, second season 4th and I'm currently 4th again this season. I managed to make it through the group stages of the Champions League, but find myself drawn against Real Madrid! The problem I'm having is that my team just doesn't score goals, in 22 league games the entire squad has scored 22 goals! My top scorer is Vossen with 4, which in my opinion isn't good enough for a team pushing for trophies. We are very solid at the back though, conceding only 11, so it's not all bad. I play a 4-3-3 formation, with a defensive midfielder and two wingers.

We create a lot of opportunities in most games, having 12+ shots, is it just a case of investing money in someone prolific or is there something I can do tactically? Are there any players that wouldn't require high wages (under £50,000 p/w) that can score 20+ goals in a season in Germany to help me challenge for the title?

A bit of background info

I'm the kind of "manager" that likes to keep the clubs finances in check and not spend too much money and try and turn a profit, I've trimmed the wage budget from around £1.4m p/w to slightly under £600,000 p/w, this was done through selling high earners like Diego, Naldo, Josue, Olic etc and relying on youngsters that have come through the academy to fill in if there's injuries or suspensions. I have a fair bit of money for transfers available (£22m), I am wary of spending all of that on one player though.

My first 11 at the minute is, GK - Jan Oblak, RB - Fagner, CB - Simon Kjaer, CB - Nick Viergever, LB - Ricardo Rodriquez, CDM - Ruud Vormer, CM - Leroy Fer, CM - Albin Ekdal, RW - Vieirinha, LW - Ivan Perisic, ST - Jelle Vossen.

Not an amazing 11 but they do a job in terms of competing for the Champions League places, which is what the board wants. The squad isn't the deepest, but I have some creative midfielders on the bench but nothing seems to work, when it comes to scoring goals.

Any help is appreciated :D

Oscar, André Schürrle, Bernard, Joao Moutinho, Ganso, Rodrigo, Osvaldo, Seydou Doumbia, and Eren Derdiyok are all good talents under 50k. I'm not sure which ones would consider a move to Wolfsburg though. Did you have any positions in mind that you want to strengthen?

I personally recommend changing your formation to a 4-2-3-1, training your DM to play MC, and investing in a solid winger/inside forward or two. You may need to go a bit higher than 50k wages but it'll be worth it.

I might experiment with the 4-2-3-1 formation, I'm probably looking for a RW, I have Vieirinha playing there at the minute but it's not his natural position and he just does a solid job. Doumbia's contract is up in the summer so I've offered him a contract he'll definitely give me more options up top, I scouted Schurrle earlier in the season but he wasn't interested in joining. That's the difficult thing about Wolfsburg, trying to attract top players to the club!

Cheers for the suggestions :)

Could you post a screenshot of your tactics, and your striker and wingers instructions? What tempo and time wasting do you use?

No problem man. Wellington Nem, Kevin Mirallas, Gabriel Torje, Eduardo Salvio, and Vladimir Weiss are right wingers under 50k. I personally would spend 30k extra on wages for Hatem Ben Arfa, he can be very good on the right

No worries anymore, cheers for the help. Since I posted this my team has scored 13 in 6 games, I just changed the wingers to have more creative freedom and it seems to be working, hopefully it can continue! Next season i'm going to try the 4-2-3-1 formation in preseason and see what that's like.