Wolves fined over team selection

• Thread starter Thread starter Scott
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 803
Stupid FA!! Man Utd did it against Hull last season.Fair enough,they had a Champions League final coming up,but,if it says in the rulebook"Teams have to feild their strongest 11"how come they didn't get fined?????????

The reason:WE ARE RELAGATION CANDIDATES,MAN UTD ARE BIG CLUB!!!!!!!!Only reason.

Post from someone over at another forum regarding this subject that I think is worth sharing....

A hypothetical scenario for you. What if every team in the bottom half of the table decide not to pick a strong team at Old Trafford, specifically Old Trafford, and only Old Trafford?

Then what?

I’ll tell you what – there would be no more Premier League. I see McCarthy’s point about asking what the rules are for how many players you are allowed to rest, but in fairness he is a deeply simple man. If he can’t see the difference between Liverpool resting players at Fulham and Wolves resting players at Old Toilet, then he needs a figurative slap.

The Premier League should come down like a ton of bricks on McCarthy, otherwise the integrity of their already hopelessly uncompetitive league will be diminished even further, if that’s possible. Incidentally, I think it has nothing to do with whether a team’s second string is capable of winning. That isn’t the point.

Liverpool resting players at Fulham has no long term bearing on the integrity of the league, since Fulham benefited entirely at random by virtue of the arbitrary order of the fixture list. If everyone did what Liverpool did at Fulham in 07, it STILL would have no long term effect on the integrity of the league, since in each case the team gaining an advantage does so at random, exactly as it would because of weather, injuries, refereeing decisions etc.

Man United did not benefit at random. They benefited because on paper a game at Old Trafford is the hardest in the league. That means that if other small teams adopt the same principle – it means the same team, or teams will benefit over and over and over again – and that screws up the league. The key point, is that the more they benefit, the better team they become, which in turn makes playing them harder, which means more teams will rest players against them, which means the more they benefit, and so on. It is an exponential snowball effect.

It is difficult to know what to do – but McCarthy’s question about what is the specific number of players you are allowed to rest is taking the ****. There is such a thing as a grey area, and of reasonable interpretation. A rule can’t be enforced saying – rest no more than six players – or something like that. It is impractical for obvious reasons. Players and managers can be fined for bringing the game into disrepute. What constitutes that is always a matter of interpretation, to varying degrees. Therefore, I see no problem with the league setting a precedent and saying something like the following.

Based on all the evidence available, it is a reasonable interpretation that the reason Wolves rested 10 outfield players against United at Old Trafford was BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THE GAME WAS TOO HARD to bother risking players. (In effect this is what the league have done – just with a nothing punishment). Therefore – three point deduction. Won’t happen again.

Good find Lee but I disagree with most of it. Yeah Fulham benefitted by the arbitrary nature of the fixture list, but they also then benefitted as their game was made easier-what if they were in a relegation scrap? What about the other clubs down there?

Also...yes its true we gained because a game at OT is on paper the hardest in the league, but due to his claims about THE ARBITRARY NATURE of the fixture list, does he think if Wolves's game had been at the Bridge or the Emirates at that very point, Mcarthy wouldn't have done the same thing? I think he would.

Also don't agree with his claims about the league being hopelessly uncompetitive. Has he seen this years table? Fair enough that its a hypothetical scenario, but I don't buy it personally. Most teams wont do that, it was a one-off from Wolves, and as far as the PL rule goes, bigger clubs do it more often

to be honest im furious with this! i dont support either of the involved teams, but is it up to the FA to decide whether a team fields a full strength side? how do you decide whether the team is full strength?

all the people he fielded had a pro contract, so they are of professional quality. the fa cant decide which players are good n which arent, how do they come up with this? theres no technical way of deciding a players quality, other than:

1. Personal Opinion
2. Club/international appearances etc.

cant understand this at all :S

Back