CCFCFAN

Reaction score
"Now get out!"
I was depressed.I'd been sacked by my firm and was on the edge of bankruptcy no company would take me in.And despite all this I knew I would get out of it.I had all the coaching badges and a degree from Cardiff University on my cv the opportunity would be coming soon.And it came sooner than I expected.

Birmingham Mail 7 July 2011

Mick Leaves Wolves

Today Barnsley-born manager Mick McCarthy left Wolves of his "own violation" according to board members. He had been manager of Wolves for just less than five years.Joining them in July 2006.He won promotion to the Barclays Premier League with them in 2009 and they are now a known Premier League club.McCarthy is an established manager and many a club will be after his services.

As soon as I had read the headline my phone rang.
"Hello is this Mr.Hawkins?"​

Phone call

The phone rings.
"Hello is this Mr.Hawkins?"
"Yes it is"
"My name is Steve Morgan and I would like to offer you a job"
"Really" I was delighted "what job?"
"The managerial position at Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C"
"R-really?"I said thinking it was a joke
"Yes come to Molineux stadium tomorrow and we will give you a contract to sign"
He hung up.
It was what I had been waiting for a job!In football!At a Premier League club!I was ecstatic I decided to go shopping.
I bought a suit in the tailors.Taylor's Tailors (I know) were selling suits on the cheap and I got one for £20.Not bad.
I slept well tht night and was up early for the drive to Birmingham.I arrived at midday and parked in the car park.
Walking into the stadium I was having second thoughts.I was inexperienced and what if it was a prank?I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind and entered the stadium.

I told the receptionist what I'm here for and she phoned an office.A few minutes later a man walked out of an office
and shook my hand.
"Aaah Mr.Hawkins.This way please"
I followed and was led to an office saying "CHAIRMAN"
"Here's the contract"
£13,000 per week
Expires:30.6.2012
"Would you like to negotiate?" he asked
"No it's fine" I replied
"Sign here please"
I signed.And became a football manager
Wolves-badge.jpg

paine-proffitt-wolverhampton-wanderers-.jpg

My life was completely different.The unemployed wreck was in the past.I had a job a brilliant one at that.Managing in the game I loved.The one thing I wasn't sure of were press conferences.I knew the media could twist your words.
stock-photo-7325731-microphones-at-press-conference.jpg
As I walked in cameras flashed and I was blinded.But Mr.Morgan appeared like he was used to it and quickly the press calmed down.Mr.Morgan started speaking.
"And now ladies and gentleman without further ado I would like to introduce our clubs new manager.Mister Matthew Hawkins"
A chorus of "Who"'s rang out through the conference.And then a journalist regained his composure.
"So Mr.Hawkins is this your dream job?"
"Well no not really when I was young I wanted to be window washer.Nah of course it is"
"Who will be guaranteed a place under you?"
"If there good enough in training they'll be chosen as simple as that"
"Do you have any idea who you want to sign?"
"God,I only just got the job gimme some time"
"And finally will you change any staff at the club?"
"Same answer as with the transfers I've only just got here"
Mr.Morgan called the end of the conference so I could meet the players.I walked out onto the training ground and got them in a huddle.
"Al right lads.Forget everything Mick taught you.We're playing a new style of football now,my style pass and move that's the new Wolves
groove".I sent them on a jog and left the assistant with training as I walked back inside to look at players for transfers.​
wolves_logo.jpg

A few games a few signings

paine-proffitt-wolverhampton-wanderers-.jpg

I was lying to the press I did have some targets who I thought would fit in well but I had to discuss with the board about my aim.I said I thought I could avoid relegation and was given £8,000,000 to sign new talent.After watching the squad train I decided I could do with a better backup for centre midfield.So I made a few calls.Many weren't worth the flaming credit!But one was.I dialled in fellow Welshman Tony Pulis' number
"Hi Tony" I said
"Who is this?" he replied
"Matthew Hawkins the new Wolves manager.I called to ask whether there's anyone you wouldn't mind getting rid of" I enquired
"No.Well there is one player." he said
"Who?"
"Rory Delap.We'll let you have him for £600K."
"£500K" I told him
"Sure" he answered "I'll let him know"
"Thanks!" I said and hung up.

An hour or so later I received a call from Rory Delap.
"Hey.I'm Rory Delap.The boss told me you wanted to sign me." he said
"Yeah.I'm offering you £29K per week on a year-long contract.With a £125K signing-on-fee" I told him
"Yeah sure I'll sign" he answered
"Come down to Molineux and we'll give you a contract to sign."

With that tied up I guess I should talk about pre-season so far.I played small teams to build confidence.

WOLVES 4-1 WOLVES RESERVES
Doyle (15,73),Milijas (43),Jarvis (71) Ismail (pen 4)

Against the reserves a win is always good.But I'm disappointed to give away the penalty.We were sloppy in the first 10 minutes but picked up and conrolled the game after that.

AFC TELFORD 0-3 WOLVES
Hammill (30),Ward (64),Henry (69)

A win is a win and this was a good one dominating from the start we battered our Non-League opposition should have score more though.

WOLVES 7-0 CHELTENHAM SARAS
Berra (7),Doyle (10,71),Ward (16),Champion (O.G 28),Jarvis (34),Johnson (47)

A good win I know there no Manchester United but it's a morale-booster for the lads.And it did they were all happy as they came back into the dressing room.

Back to the present.Rory signed a contract and we released the news the next day along with a shirt.
iqyhyo_th.png

Many fans couldn't understand why I signed such an old player.Because at 35 he wasn't exactly a youngster.I told the fans why I signed Rory.So we had some more backup and he could be a mentor for the youngsters.The next and last friendly was against Mold Alex.I told the assistant to take control of it.
WOLVES 3-0 MOLD ALEX
Doyle
Ward
Johnson

A decent win but should have scored more.

Next month my adventure would begin for real against Blackburn in the Premier League I couldn't wait.
wolves_logo.jpg

--------------------------------------------
Next update is August feedback would be appreciated​

Matches and Transfers

I was so nervous my first game in management was just around the corner up in Lancashire against Blackburn.I was struggling to pick a side but I did make a team sheet in the end.
WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS V BLACKBURN ROVERS
Wolves squad
1.Wayne Hennessey
5.Richard Stearman
16.Cristophe Berra
14.Roger Johnson
23.Ronald Zubar
19.Adam Hammill
24.Jamie O'Hara
8.Karl Henry
16.Matt Jarvis
11.Stephen Ward
29.Kevin Doyle
Subs:
Dorus de Vries
Stephen Hunt
Nenad Milijas
Sam Vokes
Kevin Foley
Rory Delap
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

BLACKBURN ROVERS 1
WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 1

We had more possession than Rovers but had less shots a strange one but we controlled the early exchanges.We didn't score though but I told the lads they were doing well at half time.It took us more than what I wanted to score just under 20 minutes to be precise.In the 63rd minute Roger Johnson launched the ball forward and Stephen Ward latched onto it beating Blackburn's Nielsen and slotting home.But just 4 minutes later Steven N'Zonzi levelled,heading home a Formica free-kick.
Overall I was happy with the lads after securing our first point.I was also delighted about another thing signing Amr Zaki off Zamalek for £1.6M.
I was hoping to include Amr in our next match against Sunderland.

I made 3 changes Ward slotting into left-back with Zaki going up front and Kightly and Hunt came in on the wings.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 2

SUNDERLAND 0

We dominated Sunderland.They didn't even get a shot on target!Kightly opened the scoring with a back-post header from a Stephen Hunt cross on 5 minutes.We pressed and pressed and eventually got our second.Amr Zaki getting a goal on 93 minutes.Nice debut eh?Firing home from a O'Hara through ball.

Next was a League Cup game I played reserves.I didn't bother with it letting my assistant take control.
WOLVES 4-0 SCUNTHORPE
There was two goals by Ebanks-Blake a goal from Milijas and an own goal not bad eh?

Next we played QPR.

Same side

QUEENS PARK RANGERS 1
WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 3

It was a good game end-to-end but we didn't score.Until 50 minutes in Kevin Doyle slotted home a Richard Stearman through ball.Kightly then crossed the ball in straight to Doyle's feet 2-0.Matthew Conolly then scored a header for QPR.Richard Stearman was then sent off the muppet.Connolly then fouled Doyle in the box and we got a penalty and he got a red.Doyle stepped up 3-1

It was a good month and we sit 3rd in the league not bad.George Elokobi has left on loan for money and so have a few youngsters.

August was a brilliant month for me.We were sitting in 3rd ahead of Manchester United,Arsenal,Spurs and Liverpool.We didn't lose a game which I was pleased with despite the relatively easy opposition I never expected to be where we are now.We were also drawn against Man United in the League Cup third round a tricky away fixture.I didn't expect to get to the fourth round.Amr and Rory seemed settled at the club so no worries there.It was good they'd settled down but I hadn't.I'd had 2 months of wages 13 x 8 is 104 I had £104,000 so I rented a flat.But despite having a roof over my head I couldn't seem to get used to Birmingham.I missed Cardiff badly but I guess that's normal.It was an international break so I told the youngsters to stay at home and the other players who didn't play for their countries to either go home or train by themselves.I went down to Cardiff to visit my family before coming back up a few days later.Our next match was home to Liverpool I kept the same side as we were doing so well.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 1
LIVERPOOL 0

We were top class and dominated Liverpool and,with our fans singing their hearts out I was proud to be British.We controlled Liverpool with them only getting a few chances.Doyle's cross was met by Zaki who's shot hit the post rebounded onto Reina's back rolling towards the line Agger attempted to clear but his slide only made it go even further in.1-0 17 with minutes on the clock.I was ecstatic with the lads and told them they were great out there.

ARSENAL 6
WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 0

What a disgrace!Not the performance the ref!Sent 2 of my players off Roger Johnson and Karl Henry for fouls Arsenal players got away with.It was disgraceful!Van Persie started the rout 8 minutes by running round Hennessey and passing it into the net.Then on 36 minutes the Dutchman doubled Arsenal's advantage beating Hennessey with a shot from 15 yards.He then got his hat-trick on 39 minutes his shot to hot for Hennessey to handle.The next hallmark in the game was Johnson being sent-off for challenge on Mangane straight red.Arsenal used the gap in our defence to their advantage Gervinho playing Andre Ayew through on 65 minutes to beat Hennessey.Then on 78 minutes Robin Van Persie scored his fourth Chamakh playing him in to score a goal identical to his first.Van Persie then scored again beating Berra then firing past Hennessey.

I didn't manage against United letting my assistant do the same as in the other League Cup match

MANCHESTER UNITED 5-2 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
Diouf (15,58)----------------Doyle (59)
Valencia (38,50,80)---------O'Hara (69)

I watched from the stands and we fought United for each ball we were just unlucky with our shooting.

After 2 bad defeats conceding 11 in 2 and only scoring 2.I took the lads to this restaurant in the city centre and we had a good time speaking about things other then football.At the end I made a speech.
"All right lads I know we've had a couple of bad results lately but that's no reason to have your heads down so let's play our hearts out against Norwich tomorrow!"

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 2

NORWICH CITY 0

We dominated Norwich beating them to every ball and getting the lion's share of possession.We opened the scoring on 28 minutes Kevin Doyle tapping in from a miss judged back-pass.Amr Zaki then doubled our lead on 40 minutes.Ward hit a 55-yard pass to Doyle.Doyle crossed in and Zaki fired home.We continued to dominate but failed to score.A good win all the same though.

It was a decent month despite being hammered by Arsenal and United.I feel the squad are gelling and becoming a unit.A lot of time and effort had gone into this team and the players all had good footballing minds.And they were all charitable going out into the community on a regular basis.We were up there with the big boys top 5!And that's where we intend to stay.
wolves_logo.jpg