Shorts1

Reaction score
I am havin the same problem with any save I start. I'm constantly having more possession more shots on target and consistently hitting the woodwork. Topping it all off I get beat or draw due to a late goal!! Anyone else having these problems and any ideas how to change it??

More info would help immensely.

How are you setting up?

What do you change to try and force a way to get a goal?

You're obviously still drawing a game because you can't get a goal, but when you lose to a late goal - why? Are you pushing forward too much or are they throwing men forward to grab the win?

Comparing FM14 with FM15 I think the situation regarding hitting the woodwork has improved, but it's still away from the reality. At least away the portuguese league reality. It has been commented at the Si forum that the average shots at the woodwork is 0,85 / match which is a little higher than the EPL official stats (0,5)

Pretty sure SI have official stats saying around 0.8 (0.78 IIRC), which is close to the current hit rate in FM.

Link to that stat, miguel?

I usualy have a woodwork issue in away games with the bottom table teams in my chelsea save. I just use high tempo attacking formation with shot on sight and out of 15-20 shots on targer 2-4 will be goals. I am guessing that with a weak team this would not be a solid solution and a counter attack formation would be best as the chances you will make would be harder to for the opponent defence.

It's posted at the Bugs section at the SI Forum, the guy who reported an identical situation mentioned the website where are all these kind of stats. I'll post it here later when I get home.

It's posted at the Bugs section at the SI Forum, the guy who reported an identical situation mentioned the website where are all these kind of stats. I'll post it here later when I get home.
Oh, don't worry. I know the bugs forum very well. I know which one you mean. That guy also couldn't provide a link.

You mean Benfica's is 0.35 and Porto 0.47.

Remind me how this disproves SI's stats?

No, I mean FC Porto has a total amount of shots of 229 and of these shots it has 8 at the woodwork. So, 8 / 229 equals 0,034. Benfica has a total amount of shots of 177 and of these, 6 at the woodwork. So 6 / 177 equals 0,033. I know portuguese isn't your base language but this is the math and the reality of the portuguese league. Very far away from the EPL and the SI stats.

Even if your numbers were accurate, 0,35 and 0,47 are a lot lower than 0,8

No, I mean FC Porto has a total amount of shots of 229 and of these shots it has 8 at the woodwork. So, 8 / 229 equals 0,034. Benfica has a total amount of shots of 177 and of these, 6 at the woodwork. So 6 / 177 equals 0,033. I know portuguese isn't your base language but this is the math and the reality of the portuguese league. Very far away from the EPL and the SI stats.

Even if your numbers were accurate, 0,35 and 0,47 are a lot lower than 0,8
Okay. I'm going to try and explain this slowly.

Shots vs woodwork is irrelevant, because YOU brought up SI's stats. SI's stat is shots per game.

My numbers are accurate, because I don't need to know Portuguese to know that 8 / 17 = 0.47 and 6 / 17 = 0.35 woodwork hits per team, per game.

Now here's where it gets tricky, so stay with me - in football there are 2 (two) teams playing a match at the same time. So that means (on average) if Porto were to play Benfica, on average, there would be 0.47 + 0.35 = 0.82 woodwork hits per game.

No bug. That's the math where I am and in Lisbon.

First I didn't brought it up, it was mentioned has a possible bug too much shots at the woodwork. Some mod guy argued that EPL has an average of 0,8 shots at athe woodwork when the official stats are around 0,5

Now, even a slower explanation for you. shots at woodwork / total shots thats the mathematical operation you need to do and from the link I posted you have:

FC Porto: total shots - 229; shots at woodwork - 8 this means it's 8 / 229. There's no mention of any 17 that you are using
Benfica: total shots - 177; shots at woodwork - 6 this means 6 / 177. There's no memtion of any 17 that you are using.... there's no mention of any 17 number in any of those stats regarding FCPorto or Benfica.

First I didn't brought it up, it was mentioned has a possible bug too much shots at the woodwork. Some mod guy argued that EPL has an average of 0,8 shots at athe woodwork when the official stats are around 0,5

Now, even a slower explanation for you. shots at woodwork / total shots thats the mathematical operation you need to do and from the link I posted you have:

FC Porto: total shots - 229; shots at woodwork - 8 this means it's 8 / 229. There's no mention of any 17 that you are using
Benfica: total shots - 177; shots at woodwork - 6 this means 6 / 177. There's no memtion of any 17 that you are using.... there's no mention of any 17 number in any of those stats regarding FCPorto or Benfica.
The 0.8/0.5 refers to woodwork hits per match. Simple. It has nothing to do with shots/woodwork hit. He didn't explain how he got to 0.5, so I trust SI's sources. Actually, I'm starting to believe that he made the same mistake you are/were by forgetting that there are two teams in a match.

I don't know if your Portuguese is rusty, but the first paragraph in your linked site mentions the first round of fixtures. With the article being written in January, it's fair to assume that it's halfway into the season, so 17 of the 34 games in. Otherwise, provide better links ;)

Last edited:
The 0.8/0.5 refers to woodwork hits per match. Simple. It has nothing to do with shots/woodwork hit. He didn't explain how he got to 0.5, so I trust SI's sources. Actually, I'm starting to believe that he made the same mistake you are/were by forgetting that there are two teams in a match.

I don't know if your Portuguese is rusty, but the first paragraph in your linked site mentions the first round of fixtures. With the article being written in January, it's fair to assume that it's halfway into the season, so 17 of the 34 games in. Otherwise, provide better links ;)

I know it's hits per match, that's precisely the point, even it's about the two teams playing or just one it's still high. Maybe not for EPL, but it's higher for other leagues.
Not quite and now it's quite visible you don't know what you are stating. Portuguese League had 30 games in that year, not 34. Now you can say that less games sets a higher hitting woodwork average. If those stats were per match you might be right, but they aren't, it's per team, so you have divide woodwork shots for total shots... not matches. It's simple math.

I don't see an average of almost 1 woodwork (0.8) per game.

I see a lot of EPL and Portuguese games, some Italian and German, and woodwork is not high as 0.8 and even if it was, there's one thing that don't happen as it happens in the game:

Crosses from FBs going to the woodwork!

They may go to the keeper, defenders, away, to the striker, or even a goal, but woodwork i may see 3 or 4 per year!

Now, your discussion should be supported with screen shots from official organizations. But its pointless discussion

I know it's hits per match, that's precisely the point, even it's about the two teams playing or just one it's still high. Maybe not for EPL, but it's higher for other leagues.
Not quite and now it's quite visible you don't know what you are stating. Portuguese League had 30 games in that year, not 34. Now you can say that less games sets a higher hitting woodwork average. If those stats were per match you might be right, but they aren't, it's per team, so you have divide woodwork shots for total shots... not matches. It's simple math.
0.8 is per team. Don't argue this. From the thread you mentioned:

That website lists 30 woodwork hits. There are in fact only 64 matches played, remember that every match involves two teams, so that works out as 0.47 woodwork hits per match. This is below the benchmark that we look at to balance our stats against, but the sample is also much smaller and therefore we would expect some differences. We aim for around 0.7 hits per match, but accept it fluctuating either side. Currently we have 0.8 roughly, which is still below the 0.9 hits recorded in the English Premier League in the 12/13 season.

SI use woodwork hits per match. That's clear. Stop talking out your ****.

I'll accept your claim that there were 30 games that year. If that's the case, then 6/15 = 0.4 , 8/15 = 0.53.

Add that and you still get 0.93, which is higher than FM. That average would come down with teams Braga, Sporting and Maritimo added to the equation, but that shows you that SI's stats are pretty much bang on.

And here a simple exercise for you to understand the link I posted but now about La Liga. Real Madrid this season stats

Total Shots: 199 (this represents 100%)
Off Target: 66 (33,16 %)
On post: 8
On Target: 95 (47,73%)
Blocked: 38 (19,09%)

now, let's sum 33,16 + 47,73+19,09 = 99,98%. So, the 8 shots represent 0,02%

But by your logic Real Madrid should have some 0,72% woodwork shots. Right!!! Keep it up mate!

p.s. - forgot the link
http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/20.../11363/TeamStatistics/Spain-La-Liga-2014-2015

Last edited:
Your WhoScored link lists Accuracy stats. All it says is the the shot was hit toward the post. It doesn't actually say woodwork hits. Using your link, Real Madrid hits a shot toward the woodwork 0.7 times per 90 mins. If I list it per game (taking extra time into account?) then the figure jumps to 1.6.

woodwork, posts, rhetorics now, great

And if you click Total, you have the stats I posted. Now if you understand that 199 shots represent 100% of shots, you'll get the rest.

woodwork, posts, rhetorics now, great

And if you click Total, you have the stats I posted. Now if you understand that 199 shots represent 100% of shots, you'll get the rest.
I'll re-phrase. Do the stats mean woodwork hits, because that's impossibly high. It's referring to accuracy so it should mean shots hit toward (but not necessarily hitting) the woodwork?