Work ball into box and Exploit the flanks?

kai18

Reaction score
Will using both of them work or will your players just be confused?

I see no reason why playing down the wings and limiting long shots will be confusing.

As WJ suggested, work the ball into the box just reduces players long shots. Perhaps the wording of it is a bit confusing, as work the ball into the box also suggests that you shouldn't cross it. However, in game, all it does is reduce long shots.

As WJ suggested, work the ball into the box just reduces players long shots. Perhaps the wording of it is a bit confusing, as work the ball into the box also suggests that you shouldn't cross it. However, in game, all it does is reduce long shots.

If you sum this with less crossing and go to the line you will see some Neymar typical moves IRL.
Add a high d-line and short passing

Thanks mate,that clears it up,i just thought it meant the team would play low tempo and through the middle etc

Yeah, the description of "work ball into box" isn't all that clear so I can see why you made the mistake of thinking it lowers tempo. The wording in the description could be better!

"Work ball into the box" and "Exploit the flanks".

Remember when Manchester United were good? They used to press high up the pitch with both wingers stationed out wide and the full-backs ready to support or overlap, to overload their counterparts in wide areas; central midfielders switch the play from left-to-right and vice versa, looking for an opening to get to dangerous crosses into the box. Works well if your central midfielders list attributes such as "Likes to switch play" and/or "Plays direct passes" and the strikers "Move into channels" to allow for the more direct, throughball approach.

I play this way with my Southampton team, with much success.