World Cup free-to-air ruling due

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
The European Court of Justice is to rule on whether UK football fans can still watch major events on free-to-air TV.

More...

Unfair for those that don't want to blow a lot of money per year on Sky/ESPN, it's bad for football if major events aren't on the Beeb and ITV. It's already happened with cricket with the demise of Cricket on Four, let's not make it happen to Football :S

Absolute shambles, if it does come down to it that we have to pay for it, I'm going to spend £5k on going there, might as well.

Come on, do the right thing and leave it free to air. My family don't have sky, so we can't watch these things with it being free to air.

it should be free to air, it would be a disgrace otherwise

TV License paid should = World Cup on BBC for free

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12482371

World Cup games to remain on free-to-air TV in the UK

The European General Court (EGC) has ruled that UK football fans can continue to watch major events on free-to-air TV in future.

Fifa and Uefa had challenged a decision allowing the UK government to designate the World Cup and European Championships as free-to-watch events.
Both are on the UK list of "protected" events of national sporting importance.

Dont make the same mistake cricket did please in 2005. Cricket was on the verge on becoming a major major spot in this country.. Boom then it went of the free air. Back to square one.

Dont make the same mistake cricket did please in 2005. Cricket was on the verge on becoming a major major spot in this country.. Boom then it went of the free air. Back to square one.
they made the choice between money and bringing the game to everyone.... not helping them much now is it..

So glad it's on free-to-air still, stupid UEFA/FIFA :(

I have Sky Sports, but I would hate to watch it on Sky, it would be so boring, BBC and ITV actually bring some excitement to the World Cup, Sky just ruin everything. Plus on BBC there's no adverts :D

At least this is in the hands of a court, imagine if FIFA made the decision?..

pure greed real fans have been priced out of going to games already & now were getting priced out of watching it on tv not every 1 can afford a tv license never mind sky or epsn on top of that f**k em thats what internet was made for watch it free that way even if its poor broadcast :p

pure greed real fans have been priced out of going to games already & now were getting priced out of watching it on tv not every 1 can afford a tv license never mind sky or epsn on top of that f**k em thats what internet was made for watch it free that way even if its poor broadcast :p

What? You can't afford a TV license yet you can afford the internet?..

What? You can't afford a TV license yet you can afford the internet?..

no that its anything to do with u but 2bh no cause if it was something else it would be let go cause its not value for £
i am unemployed & have a kid so 1 the internet is for him so he can play his ps3 2 for me to keep in touch with people i wouldnt normaly be able to & 3 i use it all the time so is value for £.4 to keep my website running witch is promotion for me as adj in the hope i can get work thro that as well so its both a luxery & a nessisty
the tv ur lucky if there is 3 good things on a week & thats no much of an exageration i did have sky full package with hd but i cancelled it cause of the same reason theres nothing on & when there is its all repeats but at least with sky u can cancell it with the TVL u get taken to court & u need it even if u have a pc or just use it for the ps3

no that its anything to do with u but 2bh no cause if it was something else it would be let go cause its not value for £
i am unemployed & have a kid so 1 the internet is for him so he can play his ps3 2 for me to keep in touch with people i wouldnt normaly be able to & 3 i use it all the time so is value for £.4 to keep my website running witch is promotion for me as adj in the hope i can get work thro that as well so its both a luxery & a nessisty
the tv ur lucky if there is 3 good things on a week & thats no much of an exageration i did have sky full package with hd but i cancelled it cause of the same reason theres nothing on & when there is its all repeats but at least with sky u can cancell it with the TVL u get taken to court & u need it even if u have a pc or just use it for the ps3

Wait a sec. You can't afford a TV license, but you can afford both the internet and a PS3 for your son?

Again, you can afford a PS3 but not a tv license? oO)

EDIT- ZOOOMED by GodCubed.

Why are people getting on his back so much? A TV License is a basically an enforced tax for owning a piece of equipment which is not necessarily used to use the services of the product you're forced to support, even if you want to watch channels which gain their revenue through other means. Internet and other forms of entertainment are rightfully higher priorities for him. A PS3 is a one time payment, not necessarily paid for by jamesybhoy.

again no that its anything to do with you but i skin my self to have these things i dont buy much food & sometime go without food i dont go out clubbing i dont go to the picture i dont drink i dont smoke i dont take drugs & my son deserves a spoiling for his bday/xmas as i dont have much £ thro the year to buy him loads of toys games etc
& i am getting rid of my contract phone (by the it was got so i could try & start my own dj agency before u say oh u can afford that) asi dont use the mins or txt with it so im going back to payg cause its not value for £ so again the tvl i watch very few programmes on tv as 99% is **** so if i had a choice i would not have a tv signal at all im no nessiceraly looking for free tv just dont want **** tv for a fortune every year