World League Football, 2012 (FM2011 Edition)

paxosmotic

Reaction score
Perhaps you've heard whispers. Perhaps you know a guy who played it. For 18 months in private communities, word has been building. And now, for the first time, this is that mod.

World League Football

If you don't like to read, you won't enjoy this OP. However, you should read it, because it will give you a better understanding of what to look for if you choose to try this mod. There are no pictures below - they'd just be pictures of FM2011, and if you're going to play this I want it to be on merit.

The League

The World League consists of 512 teams divided into 32 divisions of 16 teams each. The divisions are tiered, otherwise a low level team would take decades to reach anywhere of note. The leagues are:

Epic League (1 division)
Platinum League (1 division)
Gold League (1 division)
Spice League (2 divisions)
Roshambo League (3 divisions)
Seasons League (4 divisions)
Planets League (8 divisions)
Zodiac League (12 divisions)

* The Planets league includes the Pluto Division, a little shout out to our fallen homey.

Each league has plenty of relegation and promotion spots to ensure a new mix of teams each season. One of the big goals of the World League is to ensure that you get to play a lot of different teams. I want your schedule to be constantly changing. To that end...

1) Many teams are promoted/relegated each season.
2) The divisions are 16 teams rather than 20 or more, which allows for both quicker seasons and more time in your schedule for cup ties.
3) The World League Cup is craaaaazy.

The Cup

A note: In previous World Leagues, the cup featured a group stage, inwhich groups of 20 teams battled it out to advance to the tournament. However, this posed a massive inconvenience for every team that did not have a real chance to advance. If it's only your 2nd season at tiny Havnar Boltfelag, getting shelled 12-0 at home against Juventus, and going 1-2-16 in your group isn't helping anything. To that end, the Cup has been greatly revised, and is considerably more complex. Get our your abacus, I'm going to explain this thing.

1. All the teams in tiers 4 through 8 battle through a quick two-leg qualifying tournament to whittle themselves down to 80 teams.
2. Those 80 teams join the 48 teams from tiers 1-3 in 16 groups of 8 teams.
3. Each group plays a typical round robin, one game against each team, for 7 games each. At the end of the group stage, the top 3 teams advance, leaving 48 teams.
4. Those 48 teams form 8 groups of 6 teams.
5. Each group plays a typical round robin, one game against each team, for 5 games each. At the end of the group stage, the top 2 teams advance, leaving 16 teams.
6. Those 16 teams for 2 groups of 8 teams.
7. Each group plays a typical round robin, one game against each team, for 7 games each. At the end of the group stage, the top 3 teams advance, leaving 6 teams.
8. Those 6 teams form a single group.
9. That group plays a typical round robin, one game against each team, for 5 games each. At the end of the group stage, the top 2 teams advance to the cup final.
10. The final 2 teams, regretting many of their decisions over the past 8 months, play for it all.

It appears to be long and add a shitton of games to the schedule, but it really doesn't. I ran the numbers - the old cup added approximately 19.5 games per team to the schedule. The new one adds ~9 games to the schedule. 9 isn't bad at all. The absolute most, under any circumstance, games you can play in the cup is 32, and that will never happen. If you're a major team and begin in the group stages, winning will take you 26 games. The season is 30 games, the cup is 26-32 games - if they're of equal importance, that's exactly where it needs to be.

So strangely, even though it appears to be incredibly long (even though we've seen that it's not), it helps out the lesser teams. In the old World League, if you knew you weren't getting through the group stages, nothing I can do for you, enjoy those 19 group stage matches. At least this way you can die peacefully in 7 games and get on with your life.

The Teams

Who is involved in the World League?

Europe - 2010-11 UEFA Champions League, 2011-12 UEFA Champions League, 2011-12 Europa League (minus the teams who lost in the first qualifying round), the complete Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga, and Serie A from 2011-12.
South America - The entire Copa Libertadores.
North America - CONCACAF Champions League.
Asia - AFC Champions League group stage teams, and various others from the AFC Champions League and AFC Cup.
Africa - CAF Champions League 2nd round teams, and various others from the CAF Champions League.
Oceania - OFC Champions League winner, runner up, and third place.

All told, that brings us to about 350 of 512 teams. At that point, picking teams becomes a bit more fun. First, author's prerogative since I made the thing, I put in 9 teams that I just plain wanted in there. After that, the rest of the added teams were based on reputation, past success, and current strength. There is a heavy tendency toward European and South American teams, for obvious reasons, but I think you'll find a very fair mix if you take a look.

108 nations are represented in the World League. Tiny European nations such as Macedonia and Moldova, all the way down to the African nations of Mali and Ghana.

The teams are placed in the divisions based on rep, at which point I sim a season. I edit in the promotions and relegations, start the league over, sim again, repeat. Do this 4-5 times and you're left with a very balanced league structure. Otherwise a team with low rep might greatly outclass their division and win auto promotion - we don't want that, we want all 32 divisions to be a battle.

The Money

The worst team in the World League gets €8,500,000 per year to play with. Each additional position up the ladder gets an additional €1,500,000 per year, up through the winner of the Epic league who receives something in the neighborhood of €200,000,000. The payment structure is this: You get a base amount of television money per season, and at the end of the year, you get a bonus based on your position. The bonus for 3rd in the Epic League is the same as 3rd in the Autumn Division, the difference is accounted for by the massive difference in television money that the Epic League receives.

You also win money every step of the way in the World League Cup. Every victory is worth money, and every draw is worth half as much money. Every game counts.

Finances are such that teams at the top such as Barcelona and Real Madrid can sustain themselves, and with hard work, teams at the bottom can begin earning some real money and trying to make a run at this thing.

The Rest

Here is everything else I would like you to know about this mod.

1) You can not turn off international and continental competitions. The World Cup, Euro 2012, and the UEFA Champions League will still take place. If you finish in the top places of the World League you will represent "World" in the Champions League, and well, given how many teams I've taken from other European competitions, feel free to field your U-19 side and win.

2) You also can't edit the menus, so "World" is below all the continents on the drop down menu.

3) The schedule for the cup and league have been fixed from previous editions, you should no longer see a rush of games and then a giant lull.

4) Every team has been moved to England to avoid visa and work permit issues. I have also set years to gain nationality to 0, and added all continents to "Nations treated as EU" and "Nations treated as non-foreign"

5) Set minimum reps for every team at 3000 (of 10,000), this affects probably 75 teams. It is just completely useless starting with a rep of 1000 and not even being able to sign the same quality player as the next best team in your own division.

6) Every team has been given at least €250,000 as a starting transfer balance. This affected probably 150 teams. It's like the starting rep, you take over a team but can't actually do anything because there's no money. 250k is a nice amount of money to play around with, but not enough that you can make any real moves.

7) The rosters are up to date as of July 31st - there are no roster updates in a World League, it is simply too difficult to maintain. The database is built on top of LFCMarshall's July 31st roster update - I got permission from him to use his database a year ago, but this is actually the first World League to be publicly available, and all previous versions were built on the stock FM database.

8) All teams have been set to professional. Amazing to think, as big as football is, that some leagues are won by people who have to work for a living.

9) The reputations of all of the leagues and the cup have been set to make them the only competitions in the world that matter.

10) All teams have had their reserves and U-19 teams turned on. For those teams who didn't already have them, this change doesn't actually take effect for a year within game.

11) The histories of all the leagues I have used are erased and start fresh when you load the game.

12) All sugar daddies have been fired. This affects about 25 teams. Teams are welcome, however, to be good enough to make money the hard way.

13) Match bans are set at 5, 10, 15 yellow cards.

14) Transfer windows are problematic for custom leagues. Therefore, if they break there's nothing I can do but assure you that "if you can transfer, so can the computer, so it's all fine."

15) If you have a .lnc file which permanently renames divisions (perhaps Premier Division -> Barclay's Premier League), that file takes precedence over the names in this DB. I leave it to you whether you want to resolve that issue or not!

16) This is a complicated mod - the date that it generates the next season can take a long time. My computer's pretty high end and it feels like about two minutes. The date is mid June. If you click continue and it seems to be locked up and taking a while on or around June 20th, just wait.

Getting It

Download the database HERE

Place the file in your \\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\editor data folder

Begin a new game with the 11.3 database, put a check box in change editor data, and choose World League Football 2012. This needs to be your only mod. If it won't load, this is the problem.

I suggest a large database, you'll want as many players as feasible! And make sure to load all the way through the Zodiac League, gotta have all of those minnows!

In conclusion

I hope you enjoy the database, but I have a sinister motive for posting it. I would like the FM2012 version of the World League to be the first wide release, perfectly polished, flawless, "why bother with existing leagues" version of a super league. To that end, I am posting the FM2011 version now, because I would love your feedback. If you have suggestions, problems, complaints or concerns, please do be posting them here.

Other than that, enjoy!

Oh ****, one more link!

---> THE DOWNLOAD <---

this is great i love it. but cant buy anybody. at the contract discussion page the confirm offer is blanked out

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

it ok i got it working. god i am a mong lol

Guys let me know if you get a crash dump on January 2nd. I wasn't getting it, but now I am with no changes to the DB, and a friend confirmed that he is, too. :eep:

I went on holiday until the 1st of january then i got a crash dump at that day. I reloaded the game and it always chrash dumps at that day mate. Besides that, this is a fun league to play in, great job ;)

i decided to be porto and i know about the world league cup but then there was something called the training cup with teams that werent in any of the leagues and still in their normal countries but then i got a msg saying training cup group stage draw and i was in it, so really all im asking is what is the training cup?

i decided to be porto and i know about the world league cup but then there was something called the training cup with teams that werent in any of the leagues and still in their normal countries but then i got a msg saying training cup group stage draw and i was in it, so really all im asking is what is the training cup?

I'm guessing it is the Europa League

Yeah, it just picks a few random teams from 'World' for the first season - going forward it's 5th through 7th in the Epic League. Can't turn it off, unfortunately.

Also can't figure out the crash dump issue - the private community I share this with is about 2/3rds people who are perfectly fine, 1/3rd people getting a crash dump on Jan 1st/2nd. I know how to debug the crash dump, it's just that what the crash dump is saying doesn't actually square with anything that's happening with the mod, so, eep.

Yeah, it just picks a few random teams from 'World' for the first season - going forward it's 5th through 7th in the Epic League. Can't turn it off, unfortunately.

Also can't figure out the crash dump issue - the private community I share this with is about 2/3rds people who are perfectly fine, 1/3rd people getting a crash dump on Jan 1st/2nd. I know how to debug the crash dump, it's just that what the crash dump is saying doesn't actually square with anything that's happening with the mod, so, eep.

Well I'm on the 7th of December.

So I'll be sure to come on here and rage if the World ends on the 2nd of January.

I love World Leagues and this sounds really thought through. I am going to try it out now..

yh but u say its 5th to 7th from epic league, but who i am which is porto are in the platinum league...

Quick question: I read through you're stuff about the cups and how you didn't want the minnows getting hammered, well the first round draw for the WLC has exactly what you didn't want... It has Ac Milan playing someone from the Leo Division. Have I read something wrong and this is meant to be or is there something wrong?

yh but u say its 5th to 7th from epic league, but who i am which is porto are in the platinum league...
He said its random teams for the first season :p
Every season after that it is 5th-7th from Epic League ;)

What did you edit this with? Because I'd quite like to out some of my own teams in an I'm not sure how to go about it..

Uploaded a new version which will fix any crash dumps non-Steam users were having, and slightly improved the payout structure. The mod should now be crash proof, so there's no better time to give it a try!

Looks good! Started a game unemployed, got the job at Osaka AC, but all my players has WP : Needs work permit
they are all newgens, and when I offer them a new contract there's no WP issues, just thought I'd make you aware of it :)

EDIT: BTW Osaka are a good team to start with, they are in one of the bottom leagues (aries) have reasonable budgets, and pretty much no players, so you can quickly shape your own team but still have a challenge. They are favourites for the league which I'm not particularly keen on, but I'm not sure how that's calculated because clearly from a football point of view they shouldn't be better than Norwich

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I am having trouble signing 16 year olds. I am having bids accepted for £0 (they are pretty poor so that's not surprising) but when I try to offer a contract the only option for contract length is none selected.

Last edited:
I'm about half way through my first season, the game is really slow, but to be fair that's expected with my laptop. One thing to think about next year; I just got knocked out of the world league cup at the 5th round group stage with Osaka AC. Considering we are in the bottom tier this should have been a great achievement, but then I got a message about how we were expected to be amongst the challengers and our exit would surprise many. My board aren't happy either. The confidence section says: The minimum expectation is that the team reach the world league cup of the world league cup.

I have no idea how you could change this, but you mentioned you wanted this to be the best world league and it's a bit of a pain in the *** for board to be unhappy when you over achieve. Other than that it's great.

im about to try this world league, may i ask why the cash rewards are really high? wouldnt it be fun for top clubs to battle it out for reasonable amonts of cash instead of receiving substantial rewards regardless of winning or losing?

jst figured out this was for fm 2011 not 2012. will you be making on for 2012?

btw is it possible to disable continental competitions using the advanced editor? read about it on anthr fm forum

thanks in advance if you reply

I wonder if anyone is still subscribed to this thread.

Some teams have entire squads of players who need work permits. Perhaps the work permits work fine for signing players, but clearly they don't work for players who start off with contracts at the start of the game.

"Nations Treated as Non-Foreign" only applies to leagues where there is a foreign player limit in squad selection, not to work permits.

Last edited: