Mikon

Reaction score
I decided to begin a Milan save, and to my complete dispair... my team is HORRIBLE!
I don't consider myself a beginner in this game, but my management is a complete disaster!

My team:

Amelia
Zambrotta - normal to offensive
Nesta - Stopper
Thiago Silva - Cover
Coentrão - normal to offensive
Ambrosini - DMC - anchorman
Pirlo - MC - automatic
Seedorf - MC - offensive
Ronaldinho - AMC - my playmaker
Ibrahimovic - complete forward - target man - receives ball to feet
Pato - Deep lying forward

Philosophy - Rigid
Standart
Shorter pass
Play narrower
Tackling more cautious
Man marking

What am I doing wrong?
The only possible signing was Coentrão, and actually the only name that I actually thought of buying for this first year, as the team looks good enogh to, at least, fight for the first places.
5 games, 3 losses, 1 draw and 1 win.

Anybody, tips? Should I begin a new save and buy other player than Coentrão?
Is my tactic so wrong for the Italian Championship? With the exact same tactic I won everything I could with Manchester United!

Last edited:
Is this the first time you use the tactic with Milan? How did the matches before the season go? If the tactic doesn't work you should switch to a new one. I think you need to play Pirlo in support, in a box to box.
Try the 4-5-1, with Ibra or Pato as a CF, Dinho as an AML, Robinho AMR, and in central midfield, put Pirlo box to box, Seedorf as an Advance Playmaker in attack mode. Gattuso as an Anchor Man. The defend is all right as you have it.

Coentrao is a really good player in my game, and an important one, I play him in support and he can make some really good crosses and assists while scoring from freekicks.

Heh.... Italian league and short passes ? Milan aint Barcelona or Arsenal... try direct passes. Did you check your match preparation ? Maybe your player need some more time to adjust to your tactic ?

Is this the first time you use the tactic with Milan? How did the matches before the season go? If the tactic doesn't work you should switch to a new one. I think you need to play Pirlo in support, in a box to box.
Try the 4-5-1, with Ibra or Pato as a CF, Dinho as an AML, Robinho AMR, and in central midfield, put Pirlo box to box, Seedorf as an Advance Playmaker in attack mode. Gattuso as an Anchor Man. The defend is all right as you have it.

Coentrao is a really good player in my game, and an important one, I play him in support and he can make some really good crosses and assists while scoring from freekicks.

The problem is: I don't know how to set my team to play wider... it's a limitation of mine... any tips on how to set a team that plays wide?
Another problem of this possibility: I will not have bench players enough! If one of my forwards gets injuried, this 4-5-1 is dead!

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

Heh.... Italian league and short passes ? Milan aint Barcelona or Arsenal... try direct passes. Did you check your match preparation ? Maybe your player need some more time to adjust to your tactic ?

I always set my team preparation as "team blend" as I do prefer them to play as a team. Usually shorter pass works good with this, as they try to pass the ball real nicely between them from the beginning.

My team was good in the preparation matches... not spectacular, but won them all without conceding goals.

just trying to help :D... Blend JUST works if you buy 2-3 new players and you need to gel them with rest of the lads... try set MP to att. mov. if you prefer short passes... or, you should try L'pool's 4-2-3-1 formation... I know, its hard to chose between pato and zlatan, but, at least you'll have one class foward on bench. how to put players to play wide ? Well, good luck with that and short passes...
short passes, rigid = narrow
Direct passes, fluid = wide...
ps... go to the team instruction, advanced, and look for for it... :)

just trying to help :D... Blend JUST works if you buy 2-3 new players and you need to gel them with rest of the lads... try set MP to att. mov. if you prefer short passes... or, you should try L'pool's 4-2-3-1 formation... I know, its hard to chose between pato and zlatan, but, at least you'll have one class foward on bench. how to put players to play wide ? Well, good luck with that and short passes...
short passes, rigid = narrow
Direct passes, fluid = wide...
ps... go to the team instruction, advanced, and look for for it... :)

NICE!
Thanks a lot!

You should look for the future of the squad, so you better buy some young players, Nesta is long gone as well as Gattuso and Ambrosini. Try to get Defour as a replacement, also Munoz is a good CB to replace Nesta.

I am currently managing Milan myself and found the main problem was the pensioners on stupidly high wages and when they are like that it is near impossible to get rid of.

Also this might help for tactics http://www.football-lineups.com/ this site is a directory for what tactics teams use in real life you can always try duplicating what they do in real life

use a 4-3-1-2 (3 Mc's ). set your mc as a deep lying play maker (pirlo -he should be your playmaker) and your mlc and mrc as box to box with little creative freedom (Flamini, Ambrosini, Gattuso) unless its Seedorf. If you want to use Coentrao as an offensive wing back set your mlc as a ball winning midfielder defend (I'm doing the same with Vargas and Annan in Fiorentina and rarely concede from that flanc). I think your amc should be Robinho and only if Ibra gets injured use Ronaldinho and change Robinho as a sc. Use Ibra or robinho in the Left sc position (complete forward suits them well) and Pato as a Poacher on the right. Use a default passing game, tick counter attack to yes and set your strategy to Control. I never had success with the cover/ stopper in defence, i'd suggest you use them both as normal defenders. Finally, reduce your defensive line depending on the opposition strikers but rarely on push up (leave it mostly on the center of the bar). Do the same thing with width and tempo (few ticks above the center). Use this formation and you'll definately have success, but let it gel for a few matches first.
Good luck

Last edited: