Thank you for your reply! Very helpful! Open my eyes a little... Makes sense!

With Bast Dost, he is 192 cm. If good balls at pinged to his head, he should win the flick on if defenders aren't able to jump to their full potential. SI clearly feel that Bast Dost can't jump with a jumping reach of 14. Height is taken into account in the match engine and Dost will still be adequate aerially for a target man.

Since when? Jumping was changed to Jumping Reach precisely because it reflects how high up a player is able to get. Height is irrelevant because of this.

If this has been changed, I'd love a link with some clarification.

Last edited:
Since when? Jumping was changed to Jumping Reach precisely because it reflects how high up a player is able to get. Height is irrelevant because of this.

If this has been changed, I'd love a link with some clarification.

It's a mixture of both. It's simply the highest point a player can reach when jumping to their full potential. Height is a factor in the ME as well. In many aerial duels, height is a very important factor e.g. flick ons. Let's say you have a defender with 14 jumping reach such as Mustafi which is 184cm. Bast Dost is 192cm. Mustafi can reach the same height as Dost if he jumps at his full potential. This means Mustafi would have to leap to reach the same height as Dost. This means that in most headed duels, Dost would win the header. Floated balls which give defenders time to jump wouldn't play to his strengths. It's about minimising the time the defender has to jump. The ME is smart now. It's not like FM 2009 where 192cm player with 15 jumping reach would be beaten in the air by a 170 cm regen with 18 jumping reach every time.

This is from the manual:
Jumping Reach reflects how good a player is at reaching the ball in the air. It indicates the highest point an outfield player can reach with his head. It is not necessarily reflective of how tall a player is, but when considering his jumping ability, it makes sense to take into account the player’s height. For example, a player of 200+cm will still possess a high reach even if he is a poor jumper, and a player who measures in at 170cm will struggle to compete at the same height due to the 30cm difference in height between the two.

Forgot to mention that strength, anticipation, aggression, work rate, determination and concentration are also factors.

This is from the manual:
Jumping Reach reflects how good a player is at reaching the ball in the air. It indicates the highest point an outfield player can reach with his head. It is not necessarily reflective of how tall a player is, but when considering his jumping ability, it makes sense to take into account the player’s height. For example, a player of 200+cm will still possess a high reach even if he is a poor jumper, and a player who measures in at 170cm will struggle to compete at the same height due to the 30cm difference in height between the two.

But there you have it. Jumping Reach indicates how high up in the air a player can get, which renders height irrelevant. The height is taken into consideration when measuring Jumping Reach, yes, but ultimately only Jumping Reach matters.