Download XABI ALONSO MASTERCLASS 3-4-2-1 DOMINATE XG AND POSSESSION AND SOLID DEFENSE

filippomessi

Reaction score
XABI ALONSO 3-4-2-1 TACTICAL ANALYSIS

Xabi Alonso at Bayer Leverkusen 2023/24 - Tactics Analysis

Incorporating these additions into the squad, Leverkusen is poised for an exciting and competitive 2023/24 season. With a blend of youthful exuberance and experienced talent in a dynamic 3-4-3 formation, the team under Alonso's astute management presents a formidable lineup. The emphasis on tactical flexibility and a balanced approach positions Leverkusen as strong contenders in both domestic and European competitions.

Conclusion

Xabi Alonso's tactical brilliance at Bayer Leverkusen augurs well for the future. His focus on compactness, dynamic transitions, and positional attacks has elevated the team's performances. As the squad continues to gel and develop under Alonso's guidance, Bayer Leverkusen's prospects in both domestic and European competitions look increasingly promising. The fans can anticipate an exciting and competitive team, with high hopes for success in the Bundesliga and beyond.

HOW TO EMULATE IT ON FOOTBALL MANAGER 2024

In Football Manager 2024, replicating the tactical brilliance of Xabi Alonso presents an exciting challenge. The Spanish coach's distinctive 3-4-2-1 formation has captivated football enthusiasts, and now you can bring his strategic prowess to life in the virtual world of Football Manager.

Formation Setup:

Begin by setting up your team in the 3-4-2-1 formation, a formation that encapsulates the balance of compactness and dynamism that Alonso's tactics are renowned for. The defensive strength of three center-backs, the midfield solidity of four, and the attacking flair of two behind a lone striker mirror the structure that has defined Bayer Leverkusen's recent success.

Defensive Solidity:

Alonso's tactics emphasize defensive stability, often transitioning into a 5-2-3 or 5-4-1 when needed. Ensure your central defenders are robust and tactically aware, capable of transforming the defensive line seamlessly. Full-backs should be defensively sound, contributing to the defensive structure while providing width in attack.

Transition and Counterattacks:

Leverage the dynamism of your front three during transitions. Unlike traditional setups that retreat into a defensive block, Alonso's tactics maintain a narrow front, allowing quick pressure on opponents and facilitating rapid counterattacks. Ensure your players in advanced positions are quick, agile, and adept at exploiting spaces left by the opposition.

Midfield Dynamics:

Central to Alonso's approach is the balance and intelligence in midfield. In Football Manager, replicate this by selecting midfielders with tactical awareness, vision, and the ability to dictate play. Use a combination of central midfielders and wide players to create a cohesive unit, dominating both defensively and in the build-up.

Attacking Versatility:

Alonso's tactics shine in the attacking phase, emphasizing positional attacks, especially during a mid-block. Your front two should possess creativity, technical ability, and an eye for goal. Encourage overlapping runs from your wing-backs to add depth to attacks. The lone striker should be versatile, capable of both linking play and finishing chances efficiently.

Let's break down the key instructions and player roles to successfully emulate this tactic.

In Possession:

Formation Setup: Begin with the iconic 3-4-2-1 formation, promoting defensive stability with a positive mentality.

Attacking Width: Keep the attacking width narrow, aligning with Alonso's strategy of concentrating play in the center.

Build-up from Defense: Utilize "Play from the Defense" to encourage a patient and calculated approach in building from the back.

Wide Center Back: Deploy the wide center back in a support role to mimic Kossounou's forward movements, creating a 2-3-5 shape during possession.

Pass into Space: Activate "Pass into Space" for a vertical playing style that aligns with Alonso's preference for dynamic, forward football.

Play for Set Pieces and Hit Early Crosses: Emphasize set-piece opportunities and exploit the central forward as a target for early crosses.

In Transition:

Gegenpressing: When possession is lost, implement gegenpressing to quickly regain the ball and launch fast counter-attacks, mirroring Bayer's effective transition play.

Goalkeeper Distribution: Instruct the goalkeeper to roll the ball out to central defenders to initiate build-up efficiently.

Out of Possession:

Defensive Line and Pressing Line: Maintain a higher defensive line and pressing line, balanced to avoid vulnerability against long balls.

Offside Trap: Use the offside trap to disrupt the opponent's attacks and force them into less favorable positions.

Preventing Short GK Distribution: Press often to thwart short goalkeeper distributions, limiting the opponent's options and directing play to the flanks.

Player Roles:

Goalkeeper: Simple goalkeeper on defend with no additional instructions.

Defensive Trio: Deploy a wide center back on support (with dribble more and cross less often), a central defender on defend, and a ball-playing defender on support (with dribble more and close down more).

Wing-Backs: Employ a complete wing-back on support (Frimpong) and a wing-back on support (Grimaldo), each with specific instructions tailored to their roles.

Defensive Midfielders: Use a regista on support (Xhaka) and a deep-lying playmaker (Palacios) with additional instructions for a more assertive defensive presence.

Attacking Midfielders and Forward: Set up two attacking midfielders on support (Wirtz and Hofmann) with distinct instructions for added freedom and defensive responsibilities. The lone striker (Boniface) assumes the role of a complete forward on attack, mirroring his dynamic movements in Xabi Alonso's system.

I tried this tactic with Bayer Leverkusen and managed the club by myself, did not make any transfer move so I did not improve my squad. I won the double Bundesliga-DFB Pokal in Germany and got knocked-out by Liverppool in UEFA Europa League Quarter Final.

With Leeds, to save time I decided to holiday the season, did not make any transfer and I finished 5th in Sky Bet Championship and won the Play-off against Blackburn finally got promoted to the Premier League. With Bayer I scored more and conceded less goals than with Leeds, but both tests went well. I hope this tactic works for you too, please see the video for highlights and stats. Thanks everyone!

Here are some screenshots
Tactic overview with Bayer Leverkusen typical XI

TACTIC OVERVIEW.jpg

In possession

TACTIC IN POSSESSION.jpg

In transition

TACTIC IN TRANSITION.jpg

Tactic out of pssession

TACTIC OUT OF POSSESSION.jpg

Some stats

BAYER LEVERKUSEN WON THE BUNDESLIGA AND DFB POKA. Dominating possession and xg, solid defense

German Bundesliga

BAYER LEVERKUSEN CLASSIFICA.jpg

Other stats

BAYER LEVERKUSEN COMPETITIONS.jpg

BAYER LEVERKUSEN STATS.jpg

LEEDS STATS FINISHED 5TH IN SKYBET CHAMPIONSHIP AND GOT PROMOTED THROUGH PLAYOFF

SKYBET CHAMPIONSHIP LEEDS CLASSIFICA.jpg

LEEDS PROMOTED.jpg

DATA HUB LEEDS.jpg

DATA HUB LEEDS DEFENSE.jpg

LEEDS FORMAZIONE.jpg

LEEDS PLAYOFF FINALE.jpg

YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK

Attachments

• 3-4-2-1 XABI ALONSO EMULATION.fmf
    41.1 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
I corrected some mistakes in my post
Hope the tactic works for you.
Please leave feedback below

Last edited:
I thought also for a Advanced playmaker role for him but AM is more editable with PI

If I know my opponent well, I set mark tigther, pressing and force on weaker foot on the top players ( Haaland, Mbappe, etc) if I don't know them well, I trust my assistant coach or I don't use any to avoid influencing the tactic