Yellow Card Rule in the Champions League Final?

Alcaraz

Reaction score
I decided I will only make this if Chelsea won because I knew I would get shot down for being bitter if I made this thread if Chelsea lost but anyways the issue still stands

Is it fair to suspend a player who gained 3 yellow cards over the course of a whole season from playing in the Champions League Final?

As we saw in the recently concluded CL Finals, both Chelsea and Bayern Munich were missing key players which undoubtedly reduced the quality of the game. Chelsea were missing Ramires who is their best midfielder. They were missing Ivanovic their best RB by some distance and they were missing Terry their captain and leader

Bayern were also missing David Alaba who is one of the rising talents in Europe and Badstuber who is their best DM.

As the CL finals is undoubtedly supposed to be the pinnacle of all club games on the planet, I am sure most people would like to see both teams at full strength with their best players on the field. Without their best players, both Bayern and Chelsea were forced to alter their game which undoubtedly led to a less enthralling match.

And obviously throughout the years sometimes more important and better players have been suspended. Imagine if both Messi and Ronaldo were suspended if the CL finals was a Clasico next season. Would that wake the fans and UEFA up as to how unfair and harsh this rule is?

What are your opinions? Should this rule remain or be abolished

Should be changed, but Terry is irrelevant to the discussion. He was banned for being a massive ****, not a collection of yellow cards.

Definitely should be changed, for most players it is a one if a lifetime opportunity to play the Champions League final. As for Terry he deserved to miss the game because he got a straight red card.

Bayern were also missing David Alaba who is one of the rising talents in Europe, Gustavo who is their bes DM and Badstuber who is their best CB.

Fixed.

Should be that if player gets 3 yellows in group stage he is suspended for first quarter final game. Then if he get's 3 yellows in quarter and semifinals he's suspended for final.

Also if player gets yellows in group stage it doesnt matter anymore in quarter and semifinals.

I believe this should not be changed at all.

In the 89/90 ECL final, Benfica lost to Milan their last final presence without their FB Veloso (father of Miguel Veloso in Génoa). The reason was a yellow card that result in stopping a player to get face to face to the GK. That yellow card made Benfica a finalist.

If Veloso went to the final, wasn't that a failure in the fair play system? Players could go berserk in the semis if they knew that all the cards didn't have the condition of making them staying at home. I say all the cards because a ban is a ban, so the red ones should also be taken off.

In fact i would love to get the basketball system in football: 5 faults - yellow, 8 - red, plus what we have right now. Players would behave is a different way because those little ones in the midfield that stops the other teams to go on counter attack, should be punished harder and players that makes 10 per game, but aren't hard ones should be punished too

Should be changed, but Terry is irrelevant to the discussion. He was banned for being a massive ****, not a collection of yellow cards.

Sorry I agree about that, straight red cards should be suspended but incredibly harsh to suspend a player who has amassed 3 yellow cards.

All this does is to reduce the quality of the game which is watched by millions around the world

How can something be "unfair" if it applies to everyone..?

what if Real played Barca in the Final...

and it just so happened that Messi and Ronaldo were both suspended.

You are taking a huge hit in the TV viewership.

I agree; or if your own club's best player was suspended for the Champions League Final for three soft yellow cards? It is a harsh rule, but perhaps it is needed in some cases. I, however, do not think that this rule should stay as it is, because it is harshly taking away the game of a lifetime for some players!

​- PZW

How can something be "unfair" if it applies to everyone..?

A more apt word would be harsh. At the end of the day, the fans suffer because the quality of the football decreases. The players suffer because they miss out on playing one of the biggest matches there is

I partly wish that happens, then I bet most of the fans supporting the rule will then call for UEFA to abolish it

But if player breaks the fair play atmosphere of football by getting yellow cards they should be punished.

But if player breaks the fair play atmosphere of football by getting yellow cards they should be punished.

I suppose it depends upon the context upon which the player receives the yellow card. If he gets carded for a mistime challenge etc. then he should be forgiven. But if he is carded for abuse or assaulting another player then he should be banned from the final