Yorkshire Born and Bred - The Ben Dobson Story

dover21

Reaction score
Name - Ben Dobson
DOB - 21/03/1973
Favoured Club - Leeds United

Current Club - Unemployed

Benjamin Andrew Dobson started his career as a right midfielder for hometown team York City, making his first team debut at the age of 17.

In 1992 he was snapped up by his boyhood favourite team Leeds United, claiming it as a dream move. Although making a few league appearances in his first 2 seasons it was the 1994-95 season when he started to make an impact on the first team and soon became a first team regular, making in excess of 300 appearances and scoring 83 goals for the Whites.

In the 2003-04 season Leeds were relegated from the Premier League leaving Dobson visually devastated seen in tears after the game against Bolton which saw them relegated. He stated his intentions to continue at Leeds and get them back into the Premiership where they belong. Leeds finished mid table in the Championship in 04-05 season, a season in which Dobson only made 14 league appearances being dogged by a knee injury.

In August 2005 Dobson was sold to Lancashire rivals Burnley and played 72 games in 2 seasons for the Clarets before again picking up a knee injury and soon found himself loaned out.

In November 2007 Dobson was loaned to Hartlepool United for the remainder of the season in which they finished 15th in Coca-Cola League One. He made 22 games in this season and was in good form netting 7 goals.

On July 4th 2008, Dobson was forced to retire from professional football at the age of 35 due to the recurring knee injury that hampered the later stages of his career, he chose to spend some time with his family.

In July 2009 in an interview on local radio station Minster FM, Dobson claimed he was going into management and would be available to any team and would seriously consider any offer.

Fair do. I will follow. Best thing is to start at a club than starting unemployed. Check out my story my first one.

Will follow :), but dont usualy get any offers from any clubs with Automatic experience :S

Just realised isn't that Alan smiths story lol the difference being he left for old trafford and you left for burnley (both lancashire clubs) then he left for Newcastle and you left for hartlepool (both geordieland clubs) or is it just a coincidence.

Sheer coincidence, never realised that.

Just checked and my reputatiin is actually national so should attract some lower end championship clubs

Yea it always goes to National when go on Automatic. I have mine set to automatic.

Job Offer
John Madjeski has approached Ben Dobson over the vacant managerial post at Reading. On the 6th October 2009, Reading sacked Brian McDermott as the Berkshire club lie 21st in the Coca-Cola Championship. In an interview with BBC Radio 5 live approximately 24 hours after McDermott's departure , Dobson said he would welcome a move to Reading and would hopefully rise to the challenge. On October 8th he was formally offered the job and penned a contract lasting until June 2010 worth £4,500 per week.

Take it as its a good club to start. Most of time I get chance to do that when go as unemployed xD

October 2009

Overall I am impressed with the strength in the first team but have decided to bring in a few players to add to the strength in depth of the squad. Quite a young squad overall with players such as Jem Karacan, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Simon Church all looking very impressive.

Captain - Brian Howard
Vice Captain - Jem Karacan

Transfers In
Gael Kakuta - Loan (1 Month)
Federico Macheda - Loan (3 Months)
Gavin McCann - Loan (3 Months)
Dan Gosling - Loan (2 Months)

Results
West Brom 0-0 (Away)
QPR 0-1 (Away)
Leicester 2-2 (Home) Rasiak x 2
Coventry 3-2 (Away) Hunt x 3

I am very happy with the new signings especially Macheda and McCann who look to be playing very well. In terms of results its 5 points from 12 which although doesnt sound very good I am still finding a first choice team and tactics and I am very impressed that we managed to hold West Brom to a 0-0 draw.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

November 2009

Results
Ipswich 2-2 (Home) Macheda, Sigurdsson
Blackpool 0-0 (Home)
Derby 1-0 (Away) Macheda

Overall a pretty good month, and unbeaten. I think we outplayed all 3 of the teams we faced and were unlucky not to get a win out of at least 1 of the two drawn games. Macheda with a 93rd minute winner secured the 3 points.