Reaction score
In August 1995, MOTD pundit Alan Hansen boldly stated in response to Manchester United losing 3-1 to Aston Villa that 'you can't win anything with kids'. Ironically, later on that season the youthful side managed to win a league and cup double, making the phrase one of the most well known in world football.

In this save I will be looking to take Ajax and their youthful side to the top, and win many Eredivise, Dutch Cup, and also the Champions League.

I will be looking to mainly use players who have been in the youth system, and am excited to see how talents such as Fischer, Klaassen and Zivkovic turn out to be.

However, I will be signing some players so that the team remains competitive in Europe, but still youthful.

NOTE: The Olympiakos save will be carrying on, but I wanted to share this one with you guys as well:)

Transfers

Although we failed in attempts to sign Humam Tariq and Pavel Savitskiy, much to my surprise we managed to recruit Marquinhos and Lucas Digne, who had for some reason been transfer listed for a combined fee of 6.2 million pounds. Lewis Baker and Jesse Lingard, also top prospects, were also listed and I bought them both in for 325k and 875k respectively. In addition, we signed Kristoffer Ajer for £975. At only 17 years old he is a fantastic holding midfielder for the future, something which I felt we were lacking in long term, as our main option Niki Zimling is only on loan from Mainz.

I was sad to sell Moisander however he was in my opinion going to hold back our young promising CB Joel Veltman. To get almost £4 million was a respectable piece of business in my opinion.

As well as this, we loaned out some youngsters who were not going to get much first team football this season, in order to aid their development

Best of luck in this. One of my fav young players for Ajax is Jairo Riedewald a young CB he is a great talent.

Half of season 1 done...

As you can see we have performed extremely well in the league, yet in our tough Champions League group we finished bottom.

Eredivise: Our best result was definitely the 4-1 win home v PSV, and the worst was the 1-1 draw vs Excelsior. I am delighted to be unbeaten at the mid-way point, however I feel we will lose at some point as the season draws on, the stand out game being PSV away. Our best player in the League has to be Lasse Schone, who has 7 goals and 11 assists in 17 games, with an average rating of 7.74. He has also picked up the man of the match award in 6 games.

Champions League: When I realised what we were going to be up against I was already certain that we would not qualify. Yet, when we drew 0-0 away at Atletico in the first game I was slightly more optimistic. We then went on to lose 3-1 at home to Man City, before beating Roma 4-2 at home, and then strangely losing 5-2 away to the same side after. A poor campaign was confirmed when we lost 2-1 at home to Atletico and 4-0 away to Man City. The best player for us was tied between Niki Zimling, who did well in a CDM role, and Lasse Schone, who scored 2 and got 2 assists. I am going to give it to Zimling simply as Schone did so well in the Eredivise as well!

Schone departs...

Gutted is an understatement... when I went to offer star man Lasse Schone an improved contract I was met with the 'I'm not interested in entering contract discussions' phrase. After this, a flood of transfer offers came in, and with no choice I accepted them all, considering he was going to run down the remaining few months on it. From next season onwards, he will be a Sporting (POR) player, and we all wish him the very best - I will be keeping an eye out on his performances!

As a replacement we managed to bring in young Argentinian Oscar Benitez initially on a free to join in the summer, yet I decided to pay £200k extra to get him at once so that he had time to adapt to the league.

We then agreed deals to sign some other players at the end of their contracts, but I'm going to wait until the end of the Summer transfers to reveal them to you ;)

End of season 1 review

So we kept up our unbeaten form for the latter part of the season and were invincibles! There were many great results such as a 6-0 win vs Cambuur, and a 4-1 home win vs Feyenoord to finish off a fantastic season. I was slightly disappointed to be 3-1 up vs ADO after 83 minutes and then concede 2 to draw 3-3, but there are always going to be a few blips in seasons - and the fact that this was our worst emphasizes just how well we have played.

It was nice to win the Dutch cup also, although we have an extremely easy run to the final, beating FC Emmen 4-2, Cambuur 3-2, Roda 2-0, Utrecht 4-0, Zwolle 4-1 and then Groningen 3-1 in extra time in the final.

Players: Our goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen had a fantastic season conceding just 21 goals in 33 eredivise games, and had an average rating of 7.08. Our back up goalkeeper Mamadou Samassa, who was signed on a free from EA Guingamp in January did well in his 2 Eredivise appearances, keeping clean sheets in both. He also had a great game in the cup win vs Zwolle, where he got a rating of 7.4.

Defenders: Ricardo van Rhijn was our starting right back for most of the season until he picked up an injury. In Dutch domestic football he made 36 appearances scoring 3 goals and 4 assists for the squad. His average rating was 7.08 in the league and 7.38 in the Dutch Cup. When he got injured I promoted promising youngster Kenny Tete to the first team squad. In the league he played 4 times, getting one assist and an average rating of just over 7 , and in the cup in his only game he was rated 8.1 and also got an assist. Nicolai Boilesen was a player who I expected to be more of a reserve following on from the signing of Lucas Digne. However, he has managed to keep the Frenchman out, and made 22 league appearances, scoring 3, assisting one with an average rating of 7.17. In the cup he got 4 appearances and had one assist with an average rating of 7.5. I was disappointed with Digne's lack of progression - he only played 20 games in the league, with 12 of those being starts - yet h did contribute an assist and was rated 7.03. In the cup he was average, playing a couple of times with a rating of 6.75. Marquinhos and Joel Veltman formed a formidable CB partnership which only conceded 20 times in the league. Marquinhos proved a great signing for £4 million, and had an average rating of 7.23 in the league, scoring 4 goals in the process. Veltman had a rating of 7.14, and also contributed a few goals + assists. Nick Viergiver and Denswil didn't have a chance to make a first team place, and I will be trying to sell them in the summer.

Midfielders: Niki Zimling was our defensive midfielder, and much to my amazement didn't get any goals or assists. He did however still achieve an average rating of 7.06 in the league, and 7.30 in the cup. He was by far the standout performer in a disappointing European campaign. Kristoffer Ajer was our hot prospect CDM who you can expect to get more gametime next year he only made 5 appearances in total. South African Thulani Serero was quality in CDM, CM or even AMR! He played 26 league games scoring 2 goals and getting 6 assists with a rating of 7.05. In the cup he played 5 times, with a rating of 6.85. Lerin Duarte was a rotational CM, and played 7 times contributing a combined total of 3 goals and assist to the team. He was very good in the games he played.

Attacking Midfielders: It's only fair that we start with our best player of the season, Lasse Schone. Amazingly, he scored 17 times and got 18 assists in 30 eredivise games, with an average rating of 7.7, I am devastated that he wanted to move, but it is completely acceptable given his fine performances. Ricardo Kishna was our AML, and in 33 games he scored 4 and assisted 10. He played decently and he will only improve in the future. Lucas Andersen and Viktor Fischer didn't have time to make an impact but in the future they will get more game time. Davy Klaassen did well in a central role scoring 3 goals and getting 5 assists.

Forwards: On loan Milik did well for us, scoring 9 goals and contributing 9 assists in 26 games. Youngster Zivkovic also scored 9 goals and will only get better in later seasons.

Looking forward to this...love a great Ajax save!

I'd advise not to neglect Bazoer! 18yr old CB. Turned out world class in last year's game. Sold him to Man Utd for £30.5m in the 3rd season. :)

Good luck.