You Favourite Boxer... And Why?

boozemonster

Reaction score
After reading the Haye v Klischko thread I started to wonder who was my favourite boxer. So then was interested in what everyone else thought.

I have a couple of favourites that span 200 years of boxing, one I've only read about, one I've watched old footage of and the other I've seen live.

Thomas "Tom" Cribb
Career 1803-1822
Was a true "Champion of England" before there was ever a World Championship there was only the All England Championship (mainly because few other countries boxed) Possible the first man to ever be classed as a counter-puncher. Not only a fine pugilist but also a very hard man who on one occasion fought and won a 77 rounder (2h 12mins it lasted) as well as fighting twice against the first ever Black boxer to fight for the title.

Jake "The Bronx Bull" LaMotta
Career 1941-54
A true hard man who would never back down from a fight (even though Sugar Ray Robinson gave him a couple of right beatings he still came back to fight against him and beat him on one occasion) LaMotta was the first boxer to really "bully" his opponent and physically force them into a corner regardless of the damage he had to walk through to get them there.

Julio Cesar Chavez Gonzalez
Career 1980-2005
A 25 year boxing career, 6 time World Champion at 3 Weights, 13 years undefeated (the longest anyone has gone) 89 wins on the bounce, the record says it all. Chavez never ducked a fight, was as hard as nails and stood toe to toe with all comers. In his latter years he didnt always win, but he was never stopped until his final bout in 2005 when he was forced to retire in the 4th round (aged 43 mind you) his professional record stands at 115 fight -- 107 wins (86 KO's) -- 6 losses -- 2 draws
A living legend.

Come on... Ali never hit Sonny Liston

Roy Jones Jr, was a quality boxer.

As for Manny, I would have loved to see him fight Chavez in his prime, what a fight that would have been.

I stopped up down the pub to watch Hatton get handed his **** (had to get up for work that morning too, wish I hadnt bothered) I honestly thought Manny had killed him when he went down.

I watched Marcus Degale recently,he looked quite impressive, maybe one to watch out for!?

Come on... Ali never hit Sonny Liston

Roy Jones Jr, was a quality boxer.

As for Manny, I would have loved to see him fight Chavez in his prime, what a fight that would have been.

I stopped up down the pub to watch Hatton get handed his **** (had to get up for work that morning too, wish I hadnt bothered) I honestly thought Manny had killed him when he went down.

Haha, Jones and Pacquiao are great to watch, they can destroy some of the worlds best with ruthless flurrys. As for the 'phantom punch' I am still not sure. Even if he never hit him it was probably because Liston was **** scared of him and he still got destroyed, Ali is undoubtedly the greatest ever heavyweight :)

Audley Harrison, because he's a softie and with that probably huggable.

1) Manny 'Pacman' Pacquiao

2) 'Iron' Mike Tyson

3) Julio Cesar Chavez Sr

If Big Frank Bruno would have been the Coked Up Psycho he became in retirement when he was boxing he could have been a true great, he would have murdered Tyson in that 4th round he clipped him in... instead Big Frank did Panto.

Willie Casey-Irish European super bantamweight champion

Tyson Fury- Irish-English HeavyWeight Boxer

More or less any Irish boxers

Last edited:
Mike Tyson. Pure legend.

If Big Frank Bruno would have been the Coked Up Psycho he became in retirement when he was boxing he could have been a true great, he would have murdered Tyson in that 4th round he clipped him in... instead Big Frank did Panto.

He had bipolar disorder.

Willie Casey-Irish European super bantamweight champion

Tyson Fury- Irish-English HeavyWeight Boxer

I've seen all of Fury's fights, his problem is his back, with being so tall he's got a lot of problems with it and struggles to get fit for fights.

When he is fit he's dynamite, he dances and moves like a middle weight and hits like a freight train, but when he's not fit, he looks mediocre at best.

Manny Pacquiao - Great boxer and great guy.

Price Naz. Was an excellent entertainer, flamboyant and just a funny bloke.

Bruno of course for being a gentleman, Lennox Lewis is the best British boxer I've seen, Nathan Cleverly a good prospect. My favourite non british boxers are either Roy Jones Jr or Sugar Ray Leonard.

Iron Mike Tyson

Rocky Marciano

Joe Lewis

Ali

George Foreman

All Legendary great Boxers