Young Players Development (Loan or not ?)

joefrizz

Reaction score
as a southampton manager I have some promising young hot prospect in the squad, which is better for their development, to loan them out to lower league clubs for first team experience or just let them train in the club ? I have good coaches overall with training score between 4/4.5/5 stars in every category, and some of them have high attribute on working with youngsters

If you can give them 1st team time, at least 20+ games, then keep them with the big club.

Otherwise it's better to loan them out so they get regular playing time.
If you can loan them out as key/first team players to other teams with very good or better training facilities then that is ideal.
I'd also put a can be recalled clause in there in case they either are not getting enough playing time or get seriously injured.

If you can give them 1st team time, at least 20+ games, then keep them with the big club.

If you can loan them out as key/first team players to other teams with very good or better training facilities then that is ideal.
I'd also put a can be recalled clause in there in case they either are not getting enough playing time or get seriously injured.

If the player is playing bad on loan does that matter or is it all about first team football?

keep them in the big club? you mean keep them in my team? because my club is definitely bigger than the clubs proposing to loan them

is it have to be a starting position or just cameo in the last 20-15 minutes will do to give them the first team experience ?
the problem is even though they got high PA their mental attributes are so meager, so I'm worry to give them a run in the team

Last edited:
i personally bring all my hot prospects (the ones who i think can progress into starting XI) in to my senior squad and make them available for u18s/u21s as well as having a senior member of my squad tutoring them.

I tend to go with my gut if a players stats look good enough for reserve football but he has bags of potential I'll try and give him 45 mins a game and against the smaller sides they get the full 90 mins it only takes 10-15 games to see a difference

Lower League clubs are generally a no-no for loaning out. Well, unless the player is around 16-17 years old, where getting games could be beneficial. Generally, you're better off loaning players to clubs with facilities of Excellent and higher, ensuring that they get regular game-time. This will help their development.

But it also depends on the player. Many times, you get foreign clubs asking for loaning a player. Now, if they player will struggle to adapt to a new country, then the AI will not play him as much due to his declining performances until he gets used to it..

Ultimately, it's your call. My main, good players, I tend to keep in my squad, and give them a run in the Cup Games, especially against lower league opposition. Allow them to play in reserves and the like - depends on whether your training facilities are good enough. Also, tutoring, can't stress this enough. Try to get them to Professional personality, and they should develop well regardless..

I tend to keep 4-5 of my best young prospects around my main team, Try and balance their positions too so i can atleast give them some game time, Try and get 20 games a season for them, I keep them in my main team because all my coaches are atleast 4 and half star while my under 18s still have too many 4 stars.

When it comes to loaning out players, I try and get them first team football in a top league with a team with the best facilities possible, Ones who i dont get offers for or only "rotation" i prefer to send them on load to my feeder clubs, I have Portsmouth in league 1 who have good facilities and tend to give the loan players key player status so plenty of game time, If the player turns them down then i have Reading in the championship who have good facilities too and give key player/first team status.