Young Players Retiring!?

Craig01

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anybody else ever noticed a couple of young players actually retiring in your game!?

Danny Welbeck (20) and Alexandr Prudnikov (22) have just retired!

were they unemployed? it used to happen quite a lot in 07 and 08, young players (even international ones) would retire if they didnt have a contract for an extended period of time.

in 08 (i think) there used to pop up players from St. Vincent who had PA 180+ but most of the time they announced their retirement before you could sign them

Ahhhhh they might have been, I do remember Danny Welbeck being released a while back!

There are plenty and it's really annoying. When I was managing Carlisle so many top class youngsters on my shortlist that were released ended up retiring because no big clubs were going in for them.

Surely if it was real life instead of retiring all together the player would actually consider taking a step down to the next league down.

you would have thought they would, it'd be a little more realistic. If they retire at 21 what are they really going to do? take one of those new jobs that ASDA are banging on about on BBC News all day long?

There are plenty and it's really annoying. When I was managing Carlisle so many top class youngsters on my shortlist that were released ended up retiring because no big clubs were going in for them.

Surely if it was real life instead of retiring all together the player would actually consider taking a step down to the next league down.

Especially annoying considering how heavily you are penalised if you are over your wage budget. It breaks my heart to see youngsters I'd have in my team in an eyeblink retire because I can't shift some 36 year old on 1k a week during the transfer window and the club can't afford to release him etc and the board won't fund another player's wages.

You'd think very talented players would step down to amateur so they're not lost to the game totally.