Your 23-Man England Squad for South Africa

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 9K
Better = end product.

If England are chasing a game throwing on Becks and Crouch is a good plan B

Ah, so that's your opinion of 'better'. In that case, it depends entirely on how well each is playing. I would argue that using Lennon as a late substitution can also work well in England's favour owing to his pure acceleration against already-tired legs.

Goalkeepers: David James, Paul Robinson, Joe Hart

Defenders: Glen Johnson, Luke Young, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Joleon Lescott, Michael Dawson, Ashley Cole, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders: Ashley Young, James Milner, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, David Beckham, Shaun Wright Phillips.

Strikers: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Agbonlahor.

You heard it here first. Have no idea how people can be considering putting Hargreaves and Owen anywhere near their squads.

Owen made my squad because, despite his lack of playing time, his goals per game ratio is still impressive. I would favour Rooney and Defoe over him of course, but if we need something different in the box, then I wouldn't mind having him on the bench to provide that for us.

As for Hargreaves, I didn't include him in my choices, however I do think he's a quality player when fit, and would favour him over Michael Carrick when he's performing. I suppose we'll see how well he plays for United in the coming weeks.

GK: Hart, Green, Robinson
DF: Johnson, Richards, Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Jagielka, A.Cole, Baines
MF: Lennon, Beckham, Barry, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, A.Young, J.Cole
FWD: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, C.Cole

Goalkeepers: Robert Green, Paul Robinson, Joe Hart

Defenders: Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Wayne bridge, Wes Brown, Phil Jagielka, Matthew Upson

Midfielders: Ashley Young, James Milner, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, David Beckham, Aaron Lennon.

Strikers: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey.

I don't think Terry will go to SA.
I will be eagerly anticipating the reception he gets when we play Egypt in that friendly soon.
I would expect he is going to get boo'ed seeing as every opposing teams fans have so far.
I doubt he would want to play for England if his own fans are boo'ing him all the time.

well Terry's the type of player that is so commited and passionate about his country that he probably will not be too upset about maybe being boo'ed and will just want to get on with playing for his country

I don't really care what the squad is as long as it contains Rooney.

I'm quite disgusted that people are putting Wes Brown in their squads whilst leaving Roger Johnson out! :)

i put scott danns in on the basis of his performances this season

Hargreaves isn't a defender,he's a defensive midfielder.

He has played RB for United before, so my logic was Richards could be cover at CB with Hargreaves in midfield and also able to cover for RB as well.

And Zamora, surely?

I must 'ave done a typo.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

He has played RB for United before, so my logic was Richards could be cover at CB with Hargreaves in midfield and also able to cover for RB as well.

Hargreaves has actually played for United? :O

Goalkeepers-David James, Joe Hart and Rob Green

Defenders-Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Joeleon Lescott, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Wayne Bridge, Glen Johnson and Matthew Upson

Midfielders-Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham, Aaron Lennon, Joe Cole, James Milner and Ashley Young

Strikers-Wayne Rooney, Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch

I think the squad should have Alumina Hart and Foster/James as keepers
Don't care about the rest as long as it has Gerrard,Milner and Rooney

GK: Hart, Robinson, James

DEF: Rio, Terry, Dawson, Richards, A.Cole, Jagielka, Johnson, Lescott

MID: Becks, Lampard, Gerrard, Lennon, J.Cole, Barry, Milner, Young

FW: Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, (who ever performs best in the next few months out of crouch/bent/walcott/zamora)

I think the squad should have Alumina Hart and Foster/James as keepers
Don't care about the rest as long as it has Gerrard,Milner and Rooney
Almunia is terrible.:$

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Paul Robinson

Defenders: Ashley Cole, Stephen Warnock, Glen Johnson, Micah Richards, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Matt Upson, Michael Dawson

Midfield: Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashely Young, James Milner, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick (but Hargreaves in ideal world), Scott Parker

Forwards: Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe

Gerrard almosts counts as a forward...forget this Heskey buisness....Rooney upfront with Gerrard as Trequartista, Milner on the left

Last edited:
Really Like to see that Joe Hart is in the vast majority of the squads, there is no more deserving keeper in the Premiership this season than him, although i think inexperience will hinder his first 11 chances unfortunately.

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart
Robert Green
David James

Defenders

Glen Johnson
Micah Richards
Ashely Cole
Wayne Bridge
John Terry ( SHOULD STILL BE CAPTAIN)
Rio Ferdinand (SHOULDN'T BE)
Joleon Lescott
Matthew Upson

Midfielders

David Beckham
Aaron Lennon
Joe Cole
James Milner
Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Gareth Barry
Michael Carrick

Forwards

Wayne Rooney
Jermaine Defoe
Michael Owen
Peter Crouch

Although i do think the likes of

Stephen Warnock
Leighton Baines
Michael Dawson
Phil Jagielka
Wes Brown
Roger Johnson/ Scott Dann

Shaun Wright Phillips
Ashley Young
Tom Huddlestone
Theo Walcott

Carlton Cole
Emile Heskey
Bobby Zamora

could all still make the squad. Capello is a very form based coach so who knows.

I put owen in because like you have seen today with one mr Kevin Phillips, form is temporary class is permanent. The only real chance owen has had, he bags a hat trick. would be stupid not to take him!

And JOHN TERRY should never have lost that captaincy, Rio isn't event close to being the leader that Terry is.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I don't think Terry will go to SA.
I will be eagerly anticipating the reception he gets when we play Egypt in that friendly soon.
I would expect he is going to get boo'ed seeing as every opposing teams fans have so far.
I doubt he would want to play for England if his own fans are boo'ing him all the time.

I really hope he doesn't get boo'ed!

I think Terry should expect to get boo'ed by fellow english club teams, because any fuel from the media is used in football, Joey Barton with his brother etc all got stick for totally irrelevant reasons to football.

I was really disappointed that his captaincy got took away from him, an all round leader, that will probably still be the leader in the england side this summer.

If he doesn't go to SA we have lost from the start, lets hope his bed hopping doesn't go that stupidly far!

I bet its going on all over the place with all these GORGEOUS wags strutting about to various team mates, just doesn't get found out lol

I'm very happy to see a lot of people leaving Theo Walcott out of their squads, very over-rated, very inconsistent, don't think he'll ever make it to be honest, he's not performed on a consistent basis. Anyone think Jack Rodwells' got an outside chance? Capello is full of surprises!

EDIT: Mikel Arteta is also ilegible to play for England, now that would be a treat on the left hand side of midfield! Him over Almunia any day if i had to pick one 'ex-spaniard' for England :)

Mikel Arteta is also eligible to play for England, now that would be a treat on the left hand side of midfield! Him over Almunia any day if i had to pick one 'ex-spaniard' for England :)

Arteta all the way fitness permitting