Your gaming highs & lows of 2009.

JP Woody

Reaction score
Well another gaming year almost over,i want to know what have been your gaming highlights of the year,games that have surprised you with how good they have been and stand out moments in games that will stay with you if any.

Also,what have been your big let downs this year? Games that you have really looked forward to then disappointed when you finally played them,or games that simply stank at how bad they were.

For me,best game of the year was Arkham Asylum,i wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was and the battles against The Scarecrow where real stand out moments.

Best gaming moment of the year was the No Russian mission in Modern Warfare2.Dont think ill forget that for quite a while.

Biggest disappointment i have to say was Pro Evo 2010,i wanted so much more than what was served up.Also Halo ODST deserves a mention,it was a total rip off and not much fun.

Biggest Stinker of the year was Shellshock 2,total *****.

Best game of the year - CoD MW2, truly amazing story and online.

**** game of the year - Halo ODST, ****.

Best Gaming moment - Tough one but probably beating my cousin on FIFA 8-1 online, said he was 'amazing' ;)

Biggest disappointment - Being killed on the last mission of MW2 after not being killed all the way through on Veteran until then :'(

Good thread JP

FIFA 10 was definately a high.
Halo 3 odst was a definite low (worth about £10 by itself)

I think a lot of people were disappointed with Halo ODST, most of my mates were.

cant wait for modern warfare 2 gettin it for crimbo :)

Game of the Year - Gotta be FM10!!
Worst Game of the year - Don't have one, but I haven't bought many games this year..
Best Moment - Completing Guitar Hero on Hard =P

PS,
I'm getting it for Crimbo too =P

Last edited:
I thought id called this thread gaming highs and lows of 2009,not what games are you getting for christmas.

Stop the spam please.

Best Game of the Year: FM 2010 or see directly below.
Best Suprise game of the year: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - What a game!!!
Best stand out moment for me was completing Motorstorm Pacific Rift - Brilliant Game!!!
Biggest Rip off: Empire Total War - My computer is too **** to play it. :( Looks great though :(

Highs

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Both shocking,different and amazing. Really impressed me.

FM10: Not just a carbine copy like the last few seasons. New layout and tactics creator really helped.

Fifa 10: Every FIFA since road to world cup 98 has disappointed me and proved to be a waste of money. FIFA10 changed that for me.

Assassins Creed 2: Amazing follow up to the original which arguably was very repetitive. The second instalment gets rid of that

Lows

PES10: After a year of hope and constant talk from Konami that pes09 was rushed and 10 would bring it back to it's best i was more disappointed with this than i was with the new star wars movies. Terrible game and a waste of money.

Halo ODST: Considering how much i loved Halo 3 and how amazing the campaign was, ODST was a wallet rape. Less than 7 hours game play and a story that was meh at best.

Left for Dead 2: Sorry Becky but l4d2 is on there for me. All they have done is added some new levels, got rid of the great characters and installed meh rubbish one's. Not worth the money.

The 100 new Guitar Hero games that have came out since Guitar Hero 3. Seriously is a **** take and a waste of money for anyone who enjoys the game.

I agree with you on the Guitar Hero games Kris.. Way to many.

Biggest highlight: Release of MW2
2nd: Converting from GH to Rockband!
3rd: FM10 (I personally preferred 09)

Highlight: MW2 for sure
Dissapointment: PES10
Haven't played ODST/Fifa 10 enough yet so cant judge them

Highs
Team Fortress 2 & World of Warcraft for the continued development throughout the year making both games even better.

Serious Sam HD is basicly Serious Sam but prettier. It's just all round circle-strafing goodness. :wub:

Football Manager 2010, for the first time since FM 2006 there's a version of FM I actually really enjoy playing. It wasn't released with as many game destroying bugs as previous versions and they actually designed a skin that didn't make you want to rip your eyes out.

Plants Vs Zombies was a really fun and addictive tower defense game by Popcap. Wasn't very complex but it was great fun to play.

UFC: Undisputed while not a brilliant game was really enjoyable to play and because of the nature of the game was pretty decent when opponents of different skill levels met because anyone could still win. I'm expecting big things from the next few versions. Hopefully it won't go down the Smackdown Vs Raw route and get worse every year.

Honorable Mentions: MLB 09: The Show, Flower, Noby Noby Boy, Borderlands, Torchlight.

Lows
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 is the best Next-Gen PES so far but it's just not good enough. PES 2010 is what PES 2008 should of been, so hopefully Seabass and Co. can pull their fingers out for the next iteration and produce something akin to the PS2 versions (but prettier).

Left 4 Dead 2 is a really good game, apart from the improved graphics it's nothing that couldn't of been added onto the original L4D with an expansion or a patch.

DiRT2 - It's just embarrassing how cool it tries to be. McRae will be rolling over in his grave.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level was just really poor from every aspect and just lets the whole campaign down in my opinion.

gotta say i dont like HALO at all so ODST or whatever its called was never gonna appeal to me, and it never
Call of duty and Gears of War 2 (even though it came out in 09 but i never played it til 09) :)

Highs
Team Fortress 2 & World of Warcraft for the continued development throughout the year making both games even better.

Serious Sam HD is basicly Serious Sam but prettier. It's just all round circle-strafing goodness. :wub:

Football Manager 2010, for the first time since FM 2006 there's a version of FM I actually really enjoy playing. It wasn't released with as many game destroying bugs as previous versions and they actually designed a skin that didn't make you want to rip your eyes out.

Plants Vs Zombies was a really fun and addictive tower defense game by Popcap. Wasn't very complex but it was great fun to play.

UFC: Undisputed while not a brilliant game was really enjoyable to play and because of the nature of the game was pretty decent when opponents of different skill levels met because anyone could still win. I'm expecting big things from the next few versions. Hopefully it won't go down the Smackdown Vs Raw route and get worse every year.

Honorable Mentions: MLB 09: The Show, Flower, Noby Noby Boy, Borderlands, Torchlight.

Lows
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 is the best Next-Gen PES so far but it's just not good enough. PES 2010 is what PES 2008 should of been, so hopefully Seabass and Co. can pull their fingers out for the next iteration and produce something akin to the PS2 versions (but prettier).

Left 4 Dead 2 is a really good game, apart from the improved graphics it's nothing that couldn't of been added onto the original L4D with an expansion or a patch.

DiRT2 - It's just embarrassing how cool it tries to be. McRae will be rolling over in his grave.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level was just really poor from every aspect and just lets the whole campaign down in my opinion.

Yeah Borderlands maybe deserves a shout. I can see what you mean about No Russian but it sets up the whole game

No Russian will stick in my mind for a while,not because is was fun mowing down scores of innocent civilians,or that it was great technically but because it shocked me a little and the ending of the mission is unexpected,its things like that which stick in the mind.

Last edited:
The 'No Russian' mission on MW2 was good in my opinion because of the bit at the end. Add's more of a story line and also at the end of MW2 campaign, that cliffhanger is good.

Modern Warfare 2, slightly dissapointed me.
Got it for £40 on PS3. Platinumed it after a week. All Spec ops and Campaign done. Went online, played okay, thought it was **** though! Nothing to do on it..
So sold it after 8 days ;) Brought Assassins Creed II. MUCH better game. A lot longer playing time aswell.
You'd think with all the hype around MW2, it would be almost perfect. But i didn't rate it that highly to be honest.