Your gaming highs & lows of 2009.

The only good part of the No Russian level was right at the start, after that it's just dumb. Civilians still waiting around in lobbies despite the fire from heavy automatic weapons, Security guards with pistols who charge head first into four guys who out-gun them. A SWAT team who are completely incompetent.

The end of the level where
where you end up getting shot
just seems a bit cheap to me. Also why you don’t just shoot this terrorist leader now that you’re close enough to him isn’t really explained. Why infiltrate the cell to stop an attack when you can just kill the ringmaster now? Why not inform the Russian Authorities of this planned attack at the airport?

I have no problems with them doing a level like that, but to me it's just implemented really badly and lacks any realism.

I liked MW2 a lot, even though the storyline was very very unrealistic
I have my reservations about killing inncent civilians....

Highs

FIFA 10 - After the massive **** pile that was PES 2009 I have been on FIFA since. So glad there is at least one playable football game available.

Trials HD - A very addictive game. Great to just pick up and play for a few minutes. Well worth the money.

GTA: Chinatown Wars - Only played a bit of it (until Becky made me remove it from her DS) but what I played was really fun and impressive for a DS game. I can't wait for Christmas so that I can play it again on my own DS.

Lows

PES 2010 - Was really hoping they had reinvented the game this year. Clearly not. It's still the same **** game it was last year.

Street Fighter IV - Hadn't played a Street Fighter since Street Fighter II on the Mega Drive. The game istelf I'm sure many people like. I just couldn't get into it at all :(

Left 4 Dead 2 - It's an ok game. But I just don't like the levels on this one. The only 2 I actually like playing are Dark Carnival and The Mall. It's far too difficult now as well. Too many special infected all coming at the same time.

I just feel disappointed with myself really as I haven't really played as many 'proper' games as I would have liked. I really want a good game with a proper story. This year I've mostly played things like FIFA, FM 2010 etc..

No Russian will stick in my mind for a while,not because is was fun mowing down scores of innocent civilians,or that it was great technically but because it shocked me a little and the ending of the mission is enexpected,its things like that which stick in the mind.

Spoiler alert :(

HTML:
[spoiler]spoiler text here[/spoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
Highs

Street Fighter IV - Glad my housemates had this game, as it's gotten me into the other SF games out there. I've become fond of the fighting game scene since then, and the competitive nature that comes with them.

Fifa 10 - Not played it that often recently, but still a brilliant game, and an improvement over it's '09 counterpart.[/b]

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Improved upon an already excellent game, with additional guns, perks and overall features. Very fun to play, especially if you were a fan of the previous games.

Lows

World of Warcraft - Deciding to spend time playing WoW, as a friend started again on the game. The game has moved so far beyond what should be considered fun, and just involves hunting tirelessly for groups to gather more gear for your character after hitting level 80.

Football Manager 2010 - Might be in the minority here, but I much preferred FM 2009. Not sure what it is, because some of the additional features are a step in the right direction, but the game didn't grab me as it's predecessor did.

Dragon Age: Origins - Not as great as the hype makes it out to be. It starts out as a fun RPG, but eventually you end up in boring dungeons, no matter where you head on the map. Hailed for it's re-playability, most of the game will be the same through each play-through.

Highs:

Modern warfare 2: I love how they didnt just copy cod4 and cod WaW, New perks, new killstreaks, new camos, new guns and new attachments really impressed me, especially the heartbeat sensor. Imo world at war just copied cod 4 but added new guns, i was so disappointed with it

Left 4 Dead 2: A great game, shame Mw2 is so good because i would play left 4 dead 2 alot, the new scavenge mode is immense and i love the new guns and the new infected.

Football Manager 2010: I love the tactic creator and the backroom advice, and i also love they got rid of the offside glitch from Fm 2008 and the injury problems from fm 2009.

Lows:

Fifa10: To be honest in my opinion fifa is the same thing every year, fifa 08 was the best as its so much harder to score, on this one i can just run the pitch with defenders, so stupid...........

LOTR: Conquest:
I am a lord of the rings geek, i love it, but it was such a disappointing game to me, i played it completed it on veteran in a week, then i thought, now what......., only good part was the scout as you could backstab everyone

Rip off of the year:

No doubt halo: ODST
What a waste of money this was, i didnt buy it but 60 dollars for an updated game, went to my mates house and we played it for a day or two, felt terrible for him as it was basically HALO 3

Highs

FIFA 10 - After the massive **** pile that was PES 2009 I have been on FIFA since. So glad there is at least one playable football game available.

Trials HD - A very addictive game. Great to just pick up and play for a few minutes. Well worth the money.

GTA: Chinatown Wars - Only played a bit of it (until Becky made me remove it from her DS) but what I played was really fun and impressive for a DS game. I can't wait for Christmas so that I can play it again on my own DS.

Lows

PES 2010 - Was really hoping they had reinvented the game this year. Clearly not. It's still the same **** game it was last year.

Street Fighter IV - Hadn't played a Street Fighter since Street Fighter II on the Mega Drive. The game istelf I'm sure many people like. I just couldn't get into it at all :(

Left 4 Dead 2 - It's an ok game. But I just don't like the levels on this one. The only 2 I actually like playing are Dark Carnival and The Mall. It's far too difficult now as well. Too many special infected all coming at the same time.

I just feel disappointed with myself really as I haven't really played as many 'proper' games as I would have liked. I really want a good game with a proper story. This year I've mostly played things like FIFA, FM 2010 etc..

Spoiler alert :(

HTML:
[spoiler]spoiler text here[/spoiler]
Thanks for the heads up Sean,i didnt think. :p Ive edited the posts :)

Highs:
FM 2010, think this years release is the best one ive played since the cm01/02 days, girlfriend definitely doesn't agree with this though.
Modern Warfare 2 was excellent although the story line is way too short for the price tag.
Dirt 2 was brilliant i thought, aswell as assassins creed 2.
I also really enjoyed the rock band beatles game, although the story was way too short for the price.

Lows:
Pro Evo has got to be the biggest disappointment. Gameplay is just the same and in my opinion they have really gone to the dogs with the design and interface of the game, its too god **** ugly.

Game of the Year: My top 3 would be MW2, Arkham asylum and Uncharted 2
Moment of the Year: Passing Guitar Hero Metallica all game on expert.
Disappointment of the Year: Pes 2010
Surprise of the Year: E3 God of War 3 Demo

Seems like the most common disappointment is PES 2010.

Can't say I'm surprised. Fifa always was better.

whats the hype bout MW2 but the airport russian mission supposedly is quality

Im actually quite enjoying PES 2010.
Im persuming those who are disapointed with it have it on the 360?
Once you get a decent option file downloaded it becomes much more enjoyable.

Best game of the year - Easily Modern Warfare 2

Best Moment - Probably some of the goals iv scored on PES

Biggest disappointment - FM 2010 - just havent got into it yet, prefer 09

highs:

MW2 by far my kill ratio online is 2.30 on ps3 im well chuffed.

Fm09 i love this game won the quadrople(dont know how to spell)

Lows:

FM09 broke yesterday im well unhappy.

brilliant year

Im actually quite enjoying PES 2010.
Im persuming those who are disapointed with it have it on the 360?
Once you get a decent option file downloaded it becomes much more enjoyable.

Best game of the year - Easily Modern Warfare 2

Best Moment - Probably some of the goals iv scored on PES

Biggest disappointment - FM 2010 - just havent got into it yet, prefer 09
Pro Evo has been dumbed down,its way too easy. Playing on the top level im beating teams 8 and 9 nil regular,its ruined the Master League. Its like FIFA when FIFA was too easy years ago.I miss the days when Pro Evo was a challenging Football simulation,its going way too arcade.

i agree, Pro evo used to be very good, FIFA was just a mask of a game, only fun but no challenge.

i hear PES 10 is pretty good.

Highs : Fifa 10, MW2 ( Online is quailty, didnt care much for single mode) Batman Arkram Asylum.

Lows : Halo ODST, Pro 2010

I have a really small list ..i've only really started playing the xbox but these are what i like so far..

Highs
L4D and L4D2 ..I prefer the first game, but i do like the new special infected zombies and new range of weapons you can use in L4D2
Lego Batman - great game
1 vs 100 ..would you consider that a proper game? ..if so i love it, i'm totally obsessed with it! :( haha.
Trials - I like that game, very addictive but i haven't had chance to play it much.

Lows
Worms (i've never played it before) ..but anyway i hate it, i don't have the patience for it. lol.
Viva Pinata - it's ok, but it's not exactly great!

Games I'd like to play when i have the chance to are; Batman: Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5

Highs
Team Fortress 2 & World of Warcraft for the continued development throughout the year making both games even better.

Serious Sam HD is basicly Serious Sam but prettier. It's just all round circle-strafing goodness. :wub:

Football Manager 2010, for the first time since FM 2006 there's a version of FM I actually really enjoy playing. It wasn't released with as many game destroying bugs as previous versions and they actually designed a skin that didn't make you want to rip your eyes out.

Plants Vs Zombies was a really fun and addictive tower defense game by Popcap. Wasn't very complex but it was great fun to play.

UFC: Undisputed while not a brilliant game was really enjoyable to play and because of the nature of the game was pretty decent when opponents of different skill levels met because anyone could still win. I'm expecting big things from the next few versions. Hopefully it won't go down the Smackdown Vs Raw route and get worse every year.

Honorable Mentions: MLB 09: The Show, Flower, Noby Noby Boy, Borderlands, Torchlight.

Lows
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 is the best Next-Gen PES so far but it's just not good enough. PES 2010 is what PES 2008 should of been, so hopefully Seabass and Co. can pull their fingers out for the next iteration and produce something akin to the PS2 versions (but prettier).

Left 4 Dead 2 is a really good game, apart from the improved graphics it's nothing that couldn't of been added onto the original L4D with an expansion or a patch.

DiRT2 - It's just embarrassing how cool it tries to be. McRae will be rolling over in his grave.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level was just really poor from every aspect and just lets the whole campaign down in my opinion.

Completely disagree. Colin McRae DiRT 2 is an immense game

Highs:

• Footbal Manger 2010 - Loving being able to play as my local club at level 9!
  • Fifa 2010 - It's brilliant to be able to destroy my mates at Fifa for the third year running.
Lows:

• LOTR Conquest - Loved the demo but for some reason I didn't like the full game oO)
  • Halo: ODST - very glad that I only borrowed this of a mate instead of buying it, I thought it was absolutely terrible.

my dissapointment was shadow run, bought it quite cheap, £12, tell you what, wasn't even worth 50p.