Your Opinions?: 4-4-2 defending tactics (OR Other defensive tactics!)

Scotty98TR

Reaction score
I am in the second season of an Arsenal save, where I am trying to get create a mix of Spanish and English football to work (Some of you might of already seen my thread about this about a month ago?) and I had quite good success (I won the Prem, FA Cup and came runner-up in the Champions League (Losing on Penalties to Barcelona in the final! :()

I have mainly used a flat 4-4-2 using a high-line and the offside-trap. But my defence hasn't been as good as it was last season so far (And even then it was pretty awful for a Prem Champions side!) so I was wondering what other effective defending methods (Both for a 4-4-2 and in general!!!)

E.G. Using a deeper line and getting two lines of 4 when in defence (A perfect example of this being Liverpool vs Arsenal at Anfield!)

P.S. This is not urgent, my team are not struggling, and I may decide not to change anything at all! I am just curious about other ways I could defend!)

In my opinion, the best way to defend is to make sure you hold on to the ball whilst playing cautious and yet agressive. Low mentality, flood the midfield, few t-balls, slow tempo, high pressing along with a highish d-line

In my opinion, the best way to defend is to make sure you hold on to the ball whilst playing cautious and yet agressive. Low mentality, flood the midfield, few t-balls, slow tempo, high pressing along with a highish d-line

Sounds a bit barcelona-ish :p

And I don't want to change with the attacking side to my tactics, I am purely wondering about the defensive side?

I never said I don't want to change the attacking players, I said the attacking side of my tactics. E.G. the passing style, tempo, etc.

P.S. Did you delete your reply or has my computer/internet connection just gone funny?

I never said I don't want to change the attacking players, I said the attacking side of my tactics. E.G. the passing style, tempo, etc.

P.S. Did you delete your reply or has my computer/internet connection just gone funny?

I deleted it since I missread your text :D
Anyway, if you want to make the tactic more cautious and stabel in defense, then it will effect the attacking movements though

I deleted it since I missread your text :D
Anyway, if you want to make the tactic more cautious and stabel in defense, then it will effect the attacking movements though

I know it would slightly, but I don't want to dramatically change the attack. I was thinking more about things like playing 4-4-2 zonal marking with a deep defensive and midfield line?

I know it would slightly, but I don't want to dramatically change the attack. I was thinking more about things like playing 4-4-2 zonal marking with a deep defensive and midfield line?

Why not try it :D . Personally, I cant really recommend any setting as being better than the others as I react and change things between 5-10 times every match, all depending on what I see on the pitch.

Why not try it :D . Personally, I cant really recommend any setting as being better than the others as I react and change things between 5-10 times every match, all depending on what I see on the pitch.

Haha okay thanks :)

At the moment I am doing okay-ish in defense, not great but not too bad, so I'll leave it till I begin to struggle :)