stajnko

Reaction score
Hi
Im curious what is your routine preparation before usual league match.
I would love to play FM the way where every preparation is different and every match is really unique.
Anyway, I usually do those things:
  • check opponents line-up in last match
  • check at least 3 players with highest match rating in last 5 games
  • use Talk to press about two top players to lower their morale
  • sometimes comment on manager also (often compliments though)
This is my usual preparation, when playing against better teams than mine I also do:
  • analyse their passing
  • analyse their runs (movement)
  • analyse their fouls/being fouled
  • analyse their shots (is there a player who often takes long shots?)
Unfortunately even if I analyse those 4 points I usually won't make any tactical changes in my team (or only small tweaks)
Please share your preparations and things you do before the match

PS. I also talk to my players about their recent form/last match performance (good performance- 7.4 and higher or bad performance 6.0 and lower) to improve their morale

One thing i like to do, 2 days before a game i go onto the oppositions squad, using the 'mental' attributes filter i sort it by 'Determination' the first team players with the least determination i then 'talk to press' and point them out (assertively) as the weakest link. This also applies to any young players they have in their squad.

9/10 they reply back 'i'm not looking forward to the next match, i can't get the comments out my head'.

Their morale drops to poor/very poor even abysmal. And more often than not the manager will drop him from the squad :)

Or if he does play (say he's a left back) i instruct my team to focus down the right flank so he gets a battering because believe me, they make sooooo many mistakes :)

It's an easy way to find a weak spot in a team (either the players morale will be low, or they'll replace him with someone not as good)

That's just something cheeky i do ;)

Man you put a lot of work in...

I usually just check what formations they struggle against and if they struggle against mine I change nothing and if they do well I play more conservative...

I just check wether they play fast players, and the goals section in the opposition report, so:

When they score goals
Where they get assisted from (E.G. down the wings, through the centre)
What kind of assists they get (E.G. crosses, long balls, short passes, etc.)
What kind of goals they score (E.G. headers, long shots, corners, etc)

Then I just tweak my tactic on that. However I am going to try and start doing what kj94c does!

go onto the oppositions squad, using the 'mental' attributes filter i sort it by 'Determination'

how do i do this, anyone link a screenshot, i'm on there squad but cant seem to find it?

Then I just tweak my tactic on that. However I am going to try and start doing what kj94c does!

Do it dude :) It works a treat!! You can use it on as many players as you like! Some once in a while reply being "fired up" but it doesnt make a difference to their match performance.

But i've had it where i've said to it too 3/4 players and they've all reacted badly and been dropped :) Helllloooo weak spots in the team!! Exploit them and yr on a winner.

One thing i like to do, 2 days before a game i go onto the oppositions squad, using the 'mental' attributes filter i sort it by 'Determination' the first team players with the least determination i then 'talk to press' and point them out (assertively) as the weakest link. This also applies to any young players they have in their squad.

How many players do you aim this at? Everyone with for example less than 12 in determination ?

go onto the oppositions squad, using the 'mental' attributes filter i sort it by 'Determination'

how do i do this, anyone link a screenshot, i'm on there squad but cant seem to find it?

In the top-right corner below the menu bar at the very top, click on the arrow next to where it says 'player selection' then go down to the bottom, into 'attributes' and select 'mental'.

Then just click the determination column to sort it :)

9/10 they reply back 'i'm not looking forward to the next match, i can't get the comments out my head'.

Their morale drops to poor/very poor even abysmal. And more often than not the manager will drop him from the squad :)

Or if he does play (say he's a left back) i instruct my team to focus down the right flank so he gets a battering because believe me, they make sooooo many mistakes :)

It's an easy way to find a weak spot in a team (either the players morale will be low, or they'll replace him with someone not as good)

That's just something cheeky i do ;)
Great one I'm doing that now. About to play Watford and I targeted ten players and nine of them are scared out of their minds. It also works on out of form players.

Last edited:
Man you put a lot of work in...

I usually just check what formations they struggle against and if they struggle against mine I change nothing and if they do well I play more conservative...
I like that, then you "feel" the game. I created this topic to find out what else I might do

I normally download a tactic from the internet and press continue :)

I check the opposition strikers attributes and compare them against the match report to work out where assists come from etc. If the strikers are tall and assists come from the flanks, I show wingers inside. Also, strikers good in the air are more likely to be slow, so I use the "push higher up shout" for fast defenders or instruct slow defenders to mark opponents tightly (this sometimes causes problems itself). This just keeps them away from the box to prevent knock downs and shots from close range.

If opponent strikers are fast, I either look for defenders to counter the threat instead of just playing my 2 most in form players, or shout "drop deeper" (especially good if you are a counter attacking team with a quick striker up top).

Then there's opposition defenders. If defenders are slow, especially CBs, I shout "get the ball forward" and "pass into space". This is guaranteed to get goals against CBs with pace/acc well below your fastest striker providing he spearheads attacks. I tend to struggle against teams with 2 fast CBs, mostly because I've not yet found my ideal poacher yet.

Exploiting space is fairly simple and opponents can't really adapt to it it seems unlike problems I've had in previous saves with "clever" tactics. Also, talking about dangermen and weakest links is very important too, but that's all I do to prepare for matches other than defensive positioning in training against bigger teams.

Exploiting space is fairly simple and opponents can't really adapt to it it seems unlike problems I've had in previous saves with "clever" tactics. Also, talking about dangermen and weakest links is very important too, but that's all I do to prepare for matches other than defensive positioning in training against bigger teams.
How do you use the dangerman function? I can never work out how I can use it to my advantage.