Reaction score

Ok, so I started a Southampton save in FM15, took my time with it and now I've finally hit it big. After a few shrewd signings, generally keeping transfer/wage expenditure very low (Martial on a free at 22??) and still managing to win the league and CL once, I thought it's time to step it up a notch. So I dropped £76m (not upfront) on Tielemans from Inter, to be my massive marquee signing.

Now, he is unreal. At 22 he's probably one of the most complete midfielders in the game, with a lot of years left until he even reaches his peak. My only problem with him.. he can barely last 90 mins! I don't understand why! His Natural Fitness is 18 (I know that's got a lot to do with injuries/how long his career lasts) and his Stamina is 13 (so nothing fancy but not ridiculously low), his Match Fitness is 100% and he's not on some super heavy training workload... what gives?

He's absolutely fantastic when he is on the pitch, but he almost always needs to get subbed off around 65 mins if he's gonna even play in the next game.

I tend to play him as RPM, if that helps. Feel like that allows him to do what he needs to do. I think his "best" position is as a AP in CM position, but I already play with a AP/SS in the CAM position so I don't really think I can play two APs in the same team...

Anyone else having similar problems? Anyone have a solution? I can post screenshots if needed.

Thanks in advance.

what % fitness / tiredness are you subbing him at?

Never really had an issue with him, also as RPM

what % fitness / tiredness are you subbing him at?

Never really had an issue with him, also as RPM

Usually around 70-75%. Bear in mind my other players would usually be at like 80%, with similar attributes for stamina (as in, he's noticeably getting tired quicker than others).

Usually around 70-75%. Bear in mind my other players would usually be at like 80%, with similar attributes for stamina (as in, he's noticeably getting tired quicker than others).

How does his distance covered on average compare to the other players?

I have the same problem but not to the same extent.

It also sounds like we play a similar formation hence why he can't play as an AMC - AP

I tend to play him as a DLP - Support with the instruction to dribble more, sort of how Cazorla plays from deep for Arsenal.

As a DLP he shouldn't burn out as quick as he shouldn't be bombing forward for every attack, instead he sits deep and uses his range of passing and long shots to maintain pressure on the opposition.

Could be worth a go?

How does his distance covered on average compare to the other players?

Just looking at the last few games in the league, bang average. Covers around 9km before getting subbed off around 60/65 mins, which is pretty much the same as anyone.

Compared to, for example, Tadic who has similar attributes and covers the same amount - even plays on the wing - who can last the whole game.

I have the same problem but not to the same extent.

It also sounds like we play a similar formation hence why he can't play as an AMC - AP

I tend to play him as a DLP - Support with the instruction to dribble more, sort of how Cazorla plays from deep for Arsenal.

As a DLP he shouldn't burn out as quick as he shouldn't be bombing forward for every attack, instead he sits deep and uses his range of passing and long shots to maintain pressure on the opposition.

Could be worth a go?

That's a good shout and will definitely give it a go. I used to play with a DLP until I brought him - my reasoning being that he can be effective if given freedom. Which he has, minus the guy absolutely blowing 60 minutes in!

That's a good shout and will definitely give it a go. I used to play with a DLP until I brought him - my reasoning being that he can be effective if given freedom. Which he has, minus the guy absolutely blowing 60 minutes in!

Yeah I would love to offer that freedom as I think Cazorla, who I rotate with Tielemans on my save, would be even better with extra freedom too.

On the bright side he'll offer a bit more defensively as a DLP which in a 4-2-3-1 (which I assume you are playing seeing as you have an AMC) can be very handy.

But yeah, add the instruction dribble more, maybe even "be more expressive" if its there (can't remember off the top of my head) and see how he goes. Would love to hear some feedback for a comparison

Yeah I would love to offer that freedom as I think Cazorla, who I rotate with Tielemans on my save, would be even better with extra freedom too.

On the bright side he'll offer a bit more defensively as a DLP which in a 4-2-3-1 (which I assume you are playing seeing as you have an AMC) can be very handy.

But yeah, add the instruction dribble more, maybe even "be more expressive" if its there (can't remember off the top of my head) and see how he goes. Would love to hear some feedback for a comparison

Yeah, I play a very attacking 4-2-3-1 and a 4-1-2-2-1 (with wide IFs) which is a lot more defensive when needed.
Though, the possession/high pressing system means I tend to outscore opponents these days - and I have a solid backline/GK.

I've given him instructions to dribble more, roam from position and attempt direct passes.. pretty much simulating the RPM role but slightly less dynamic. I'm doing some work at the moment, but I'll play some FM a little later and I'll let you know how he gets on.

I have the same problem with Pogba, playing as a DLP (S). Sometimes he reaches 59% after the end of the game!!!

It could be the role

There could be several factors, as a RPM his instruction is obviously to roam which means he will tend cover more ground. It will also depend on your team instructions, if your team is set up to a fast paced attacking mentality, naturally you team will bomb forward at every opportunity, however if his individual role is support, he will be constantly running back once the attack has broken down to recover his position in the centre of midfield.

What is his determination? Another thing I have found is that if a players determination is 20 but their stamina is lower, for instance 13, it means they will naturally want to put the effort in but maybe more so then their stamina can handle.
Maybe look at his individual instructions, is he set to close down more? if so, I would lower that down.

Personally I would play Tielmans in the AMC position with AP duties, attacking mentality, closing down less, roams from position, plays risky passes.