mark1985

Reaction score
I have invested in a state of the art youth academy. But I was wondering if this is the only thing that affects the quality of youth players coming through at the club, or do the quality of youth coaches have an effect as I have 4 top quality youth coaches. Added to this, does the youth academy have any effect on youth/young players that didn't come through the academy (as it was only completed as 'state of the art' recently) or do just the youth coaches have an effect once they're out of the academy and into the squad so to speak?

Thanks in advance!

Facilites is a major factor in this, but there are other aspects. You need top quality youth coaches. I recommend Dan Ashworth. Im sure others will recommend others. Youth rectruitment, that has to be a high standard aswell. Also, your training facilities need to be very high aswell ot maximise a players potential. And also your other staff such as coaches and first team coaches.

Having all these will give you a higher chance of bringing through top class youngsters, but it doesn't garuntee this.

Thanks. All my youth coaches are 19/20 working with youngsters, my training facilities are excellent, i've adapted my youth trainig schedules and my coaches are of a good standard. So it's just a case of sit back and wait?

Prietty much mate. That is all you can do now and if they have got some potiential then give them a break in the first team now and again that will also help them out. If you get a player that can be a "Leading player" then use them for 10-20 mins a game and see how they get on.

You can't expect a wonderkid from your academy.Your <<kids>> average ca and pa will increase and one or two regens per 2 or 3 years will come through but they'll need work and your time to become top players

Why can't you? Yes granted its highly likely that the top stars appear from other teams, but you can still expect to have wonderkids from your academy.

i've played over 20 seasons with state of the art facilities. highest pa player i got was 144. teams such as bologna and young boys had 190+ players come through their teams. i think it's just luck really.

Hey mate can i see a screen shot of the senior squad and the youth squad just out of curiosity!

- improve facilities
- improve youth recruitment network
- improve club reputation
- only hire staff (coaches, youth coaches, scouts) with high recruiting and youth development attributes
- assign all your scouts to the nation of the league you're playing before the end of the season, so they have better knowledge of that country
- get feeder clubs all over the world, so occasionally your academy will produce regens from that country too

Not sure all these things really work, I like to think they help a bit though :p

I manage Man utd at 5th season. I also have the best possible facilities on every level. and all of my training areas for both senior and youth team are at least 4.5 stars. Most of my youth player that joins to Under 18 team through academy has potential abilities below 150. but i have a few ones above of that. a leftback has 180 pa for instance. Its not bad sure but i don't really think its realistic. If you really reach the best possible conditions in real life you always should be developing players above a certain level. Like Barcelona in real life.

I think Football Manager is way too simplistic for now for that sort of things. We just have to bring youngsters in for now. I bought a player with 197PA -that's equal to Messi's- from HUDDERSFIELD. What can be said for this sort of thing?

I think it works quite well tbh.

Just because someone pops up with a PA of 180-200 doesn't mean they HAVE to pop up in the top clubs, some people just don't get the chance to take a trial at those clubs or just don't want too. So I don't see the problem with someone popping up at a random lower league club that's awesome, because that's what happens in real life.

Being a top team just means you get a higher overall quality of players coming through your youth system, doesn't mean you will always get the best. West Ham and leeds have a habbit of pumping out great young players and you wouldn't exactly class them as world beaters.

He was made the player he is by La Masia. And when has Messi been mentioned in this thread other than compaing him to a regen? Lol.
I believe Riddick said that because Prequel seemed to have an issue with a player with a PA of 197 coming from a lower league team, much like messi did.
Although has to be said, messi only ended up at barca because he had to leave old boys for medical reasons <)

Last edited:
In reality, a lot of youth players that come through big clubs are usually signed from smaller clubs U-14 team.

It's not often that top clubs have a player join their youth teams and stay with them and end up being a world superstar.

In reality, a lot of youth players that come through big clubs are usually signed from smaller clubs U-14 team.

It's not often that top clubs have a player join their youth teams and stay with them and end up being a world superstar.

Thats true because Beckham was turned away by spurs and Giggs by City

I believe Riddick said that because Prequel seemed to have an issue with a player with a PA of 197 coming from a lower league team, much like messi did.
Although has to be said, messi only ended up at barca because he had to leave old boys for medical reasons <)

And the rest is history, but this is exactly what i was driving at.
It is very rare a player starts his whole career at a single club, FM doesn't take into account teams at younger levels than the under 18's, or have players younger than 15 coming into clubs,when in reality its much different. The better players normally are picked up from smaller clubs at these levels.

Good players do come through your ranks, but it is dependant on luck as well as facilities and coaches. Keep your scout network high and your scouts active, and go through the new generations each year they come in (player filter lists), younger you sign them the better you can mould them :)

Ok.... here we go....
First you need good recrument (sp) network.
Second, good youth academy and youth facilities
Third, you need to have good youth coaches with high working with youngsters, mental coaching, determination and at least one high stats ( on first side, Attacking for striker, Defense for defender etc ).
Forth and the most important, pray :p

I'm Arsenal and in my save I've maxed out youth facilities and recruitment. Yet I don't get world class players everytime. It's rare to get someone who's the best in his generation.

In my last 5 years I've had one world class prospect. You're best bet is buying youth players for cheap (1m-2m) and training them as home-grown.