Ah okay, cheers. :)

Hope they fix this soon. I have just started an Athletic save but because I can only sign Basque players I really need a good youth intake :L

Nice mate! I play as Athletic as well, I decided to not sign any Spanish 16 year olds as I deemed it to be a bit of a short cut, so I am trying to rely solely on my youth intake, random Basque regens and then the other Basque teams like Osasuna, Sociedad, Real Union etc (who all hate me!). It's been probably my favourite fm save to date...I'm in 2019 and just won La Liga for the first time. Barca and Real are not an easy nut to crack!

With the whole Bilbao thing, when my first intake after the patch came through and I only had 5 non-grey players I was worried! Fortunately my second intake was fine...not sure why

I still have it on my latest intake.

FCAndorraYouthCandidates_SquadPlayers_zps2d9aa7b4.png

Nice mate! I play as Athletic as well, I decided to not sign any Spanish 16 year olds as I deemed it to be a bit of a short cut, so I am trying to rely solely on my youth intake, random Basque regens and then the other Basque teams like Osasuna, Sociedad, Real Union etc (who all hate me!). It's been probably my favourite fm save to date...I'm in 2019 and just won La Liga for the first time. Barca and Real are not an easy nut to crack!

With the whole Bilbao thing, when my first intake after the patch came through and I only had 5 non-grey players I was worried! Fortunately my second intake was fine...not sure why

I have signed a couple of spanish 16 year old's, but like you I am mainly relying on my youth academy and the academies of my Basque rivals.

Quick question if you don't mind mate, who did you replace Llorente with? Struggling to find anyone good, although Aduriz is OK...

I have signed a couple of spanish 16 year old's, but like you I am mainly relying on my youth academy and the academies of my Basque rivals.

Quick question if you don't mind mate, who did you replace Llorente with? Struggling to find anyone good, although Aduriz is OK...

Have a Look at Klippybo's Story if u havnt so far.....
I think what he did was sold Aduriz after 2 Seasons and then Played Muniain there as Stk...

I took Klippybo's advice and sold Llorente in September (so he left in January)...managed to get 23mil for him. I just used Aduriz and Muniain for 1 1/2 seasons until my regen had developed enough. I got lucky with a basque striker in my youth intake. He's not world class by any means, but he scores 20 goals for every 30 games so he is a good option.

Aduriz lasted as a rotation option for a while, but now I have two regens rotating my lone striker spot in 2019 and I use Muniain as a LW or AMC. I found as a lone striker he didn't do enough for me, I like a striker who is physically and aerially a bit stronger! I did however manage to bring back Llorente in 2018 as a 33 (nearly 34) year old, he's now nearly 35 and still scores plenty of goals and has decent enough stats!

I'd definitely recommend going down the 'Basque only' route. It is much harder because you have such a limited pool to pick from...otherwise you can just pick the best Spanish 16 year olds and cherry pick the best of them, which seems a bit of a cop out to me, especially as Bilbao don't do that in real life to my knowledge. Playing this way, it's taken me quite a while to get some success, but now I have and it's really satisfying! Hoping to get to the Champions League final this year!

Last edited:
I took Klippybo's advice and sold Llorente in September (so he left in January)...managed to get 23mil for him. I just used Aduriz and Muniain for 1 1/2 seasons until my regen had developed enough. I got lucky with a basque striker in my youth intake. He's not world class by any means, but he scores 20 goals for every 30 games so he is a good option.

Aduriz lasted as a rotation option for a while, but now I have two regens rotating my lone striker spot in 2019 and I use Muniain as a LW or AMC. I found as a lone striker he didn't do enough for me, I like a striker who is physically and aerially a bit stronger! I did however manage to bring back Llorente in 2018 as a 33 (nearly 34) year old, he's now nearly 35 and still scores plenty of goals and has decent enough stats!

I'd definitely recommend going down the 'Basque only' route. It is much harder because you have such a limited pool to pick from...otherwise you can just pick the best Spanish 16 year olds and cherry pick the best of them, which seems a bit of a cop out to me, especially as Bilbao don't do that in real life to my knowledge. Playing this way, it's taken me quite a while to get some success, but now I have and it's really satisfying! Hoping to get to the Champions League final this year!

I decided to sell Llorente straight away for his release clause (£31m) as I didn't want to build a team around him then have the heart of my team ripped out next season. I decided to only sign 16 year old spaniards who weren't on a full contract (So either if they were expiring, were free agents or if they are only on month-to-month contracts which a few good youngsters were)

I have bought Agirretxe, because like you I prefer my strikers to be strong and generally good in the air. Aduriz and him will rotate.

Just to let you know, in real life, Athletic are alot more relaxed than they used to be, and during the past few years they have had a few foreigners play for them! They do also have a fair few players now who were not originally Basque, but were brought into the youth academy when they were young and became Basque :)

I decided to sell Llorente straight away for his release clause (£31m) as I didn't want to build a team around him then have the heart of my team ripped out next season. I decided to only sign 16 year old spaniards who weren't on a full contract (So either if they were expiring, were free agents or if they are only on month-to-month contracts which a few good youngsters were)

I have bought Agirretxe, because like you I prefer my strikers to be strong and generally good in the air. Aduriz and him will rotate.

Just to let you know, in real life, Athletic are alot more relaxed than they used to be, and during the past few years they have had a few foreigners play for them! They do also have a fair few players now who were not originally Basque, but were brought into the youth academy when they were young and became Basque :)

Ah ok, good to know. I will look into it a bit around google and see what the deal is! Good shout with Agirretxe, that guy always scores against me! Out of the established Basque players I managed to sign Benat, Ruffier and Monreal with relatively little fuss, Azpilicueta I managed after a while longer...but sadly I haven't managed to resign Javi Martinez or sign Antoine Griezmann (I didn't have the money to match his release clause, then he signed a new contract and later chose Arsenal over me) :( I did however manage to bring in Xabi Alonso at 34, and as previously mentioned, Llorente back also which has been great!

Ah ok, good to know. I will look into it a bit around google and see what the deal is! Good shout with Agirretxe, that guy always scores against me! Out of the established Basque players I managed to sign Benat, Ruffier and Monreal with relatively little fuss, Azpilicueta I managed after a while longer...but sadly I haven't managed to resign Javi Martinez or sign Antoine Griezmann (I didn't have the money to match his release clause, then he signed a new contract and later chose Arsenal over me) :( I did however manage to bring in Xabi Alonso at 34, and as previously mentioned, Llorente back also which has been great!

Alonso - Nice (H)
I am hoping to get Alonso and Arteta for me at somepoint, but it depends on their wages and how I do. I also signed Monreal, although the other young LB/CB is really good (Can't even begin to spell his name, Arrigetxbe or something like that?)

Came close to getting Griezmann, but used the money to get Benat and Monreal instead. Did you ever buy Javier Barkero (Levante)? He seems to have good attributes, but is quite old and I would have no money to spend if I bought him.

Alonso - Nice (H)
I am hoping to get Alonso and Arteta for me at somepoint, but it depends on their wages and how I do. I also signed Monreal, although the other young LB/CB is really good (Can't even begin to spell his name, Arrigetxbe or something like that?)

Came close to getting Griezmann, but used the money to get Benat and Monreal instead. Did you ever buy Javier Barkero (Levante)? He seems to have good attributes, but is quite old and I would have no money to spend if I bought him.

Ahh yeah Auternetxe or something like that, I can't spell it either! Yeah he was decent for me at LB.

I looked at both Arteta and Barkero but never found a place for them. Arteta didn't become available to me until he was a lot older, and I have had a surplus of amazing central midfielders in my youth intakes so he wasn't needed...I basically bought in Alonso as a tutor really to be honest.

has the youth intake problem been fixed now?

The word on the SI forums from the horses mouth is that in previous patches/versions some clubs getting small youth intakes has always been the case, it is the game balancing out the number of newgens created from each nation. However in the past, the human controlled team has always been immune from this, so has always had a full youth intake. They don't appear to be sure why the human controlled teams are now getting small intakes. I think they are looking into it, but there seems to be no issue with game balance in long term saves so it's highly unlikely they will do anything about it in my opinion.

Problem is, there will always be someone who suffers as a consequence, maybe on a custom database game or something

The word on the SI forums from the horses mouth is that in previous patches/versions some clubs getting small youth intakes has always been the case, it is the game balancing out the number of newgens created from each nation. However in the past, the human controlled team has always been immune from this, so has always had a full youth intake. They don't appear to be sure why the human controlled teams are now getting small intakes. I think they are looking into it, but there seems to be no issue with game balance in long term saves so it's highly unlikely they will do anything about it in my opinion.

Problem is, there will always be someone who suffers as a consequence, maybe on a custom database game or something

It also doesnt seen to affect everyone, its bizarre. But they are still looking into it.