mersk

Reaction score
I'm in March 2016, managing Liverpool with great success. However, this year's youth intake has made me curious about what factors are actually in play. The previous years I've always had good youth intakes, all facilities are top notch and I've had a couple wonderkids come through the ranks as well.

But this year I was surprised when I came to March and my assistant manager Mauro Tassotti (who handles youth intakes) said that "no single player stands out from this year's youth intake". Coincidentally I had just finished installing some other updates on my PC, and a reboot was required. I clicked reboot, and when I loaded up the game again I realized I had forgotten to save the game. So I loaded it up, went through the youth intake all over again, and guess what: "no single player stands out from this year's youth intake". I was surprised, as I had assumed it was incidental the first time. So I decided to try it again - all in the name of curiosity.

I've now tried about 10 times, and every single time I get "no single player stands out from this year's youth intake". This makes absolutely no sense. I even tried changing who handles the youth intake, and put my HOYD in charge of it - no change. Not even ONE player has a potential exceeding 1 star, and this is a team that has the best possible facilities, exceptional staff and a very broad scouting knowledge. So what can the reason be? I'm starting to think that the results of the youth intake is decided in good time before it actually takes place, since my last save was 1-2 days before the intake. If that's not the case, then I'm at a loss. I have not made any major changes in the staff either, and the facilities have only improved since last time. Check out the two best players from the last two years intake:

View attachment 309835View attachment 309836

Any ideas what could be causing this year's intake to be so ******?

Alright, after some googling I think I've found the answer to this. It's apparently a bug after one of the last updates, which results in the evaluation of the players being inaccurate. And if I understand it correctly, it doesn't mean the players are ******, it simply means the evaluation is not to be trusted as much as earlier. The solution seems to be signing the players, and thus getting the accurate evaluation. This is of course simply stupid, and unless I'm misunderstanding something it's simply a ****-up (pardon my french) from SI. Afterall, how are lower league teams supposed to afford to sign all their players from the youth intake?

Here's a thread explaining the bug in a better way than I just did: Youth Intake and 13.2 - The Dugout Football Manager Community

And here's a statement from one of the SI staff: "There is no current bug with players coming through - however sometimes a players true percieved potential won't be viewed until he's signed to a youth contract."

EDIT: Sorry if this is old news or something, it's apparently a problem that was created during the 13.2 update in December - and I haven't been playing FM much since then, so I just recently discovered this.

Last edited:
I'm playing as Liverpool aswell mate and in 2016 and actually haven't had a good intake at all until this year one where I have a 4 star potential centre back and a 5 star left back.although when the intake took place it said no player stands out.I signed the ones that were recomended and checked a month later and the potential had went up.I have Dave parnaby as my hoyd.

Plus I don't think ur goin to get a superstar ever year.as Liverpool were fortunate there's good youth at the start tho.

Not sure why you're getting so frustrated about not getting a wonderkid every year. Liverpool hasn't produced a world-class player in over a decade. It seems silly to expect a top notch player every 5 years, let alone every year.

Here are a couple tips

1. Don't be a star gazer
2. The higher their CA the odds are higher that they will actually turn out to be a good player (pretty obvious, no?)
3. Hold onto players labeled as "promising" as I believe those players have to have a certain PA to get that description. They may not look that good, but if they have the right determination and workrate they can develop into solid players.
4. Don't expect to get Messi's every year. Getting youth who eventually come to sit on your bench and rotate is enough to save you a lot of money.

Not sure why you're getting so frustrated about not getting a wonderkid every year. Liverpool hasn't produced a world-class player in over a decade. It seems silly to expect a top notch player every 5 years, let alone every year.

I'm not quite sure at what point I expressed frustration over not getting a wonderkid every year. Perhaps you can quote me on this? What I did say was that I was surprised to see exclusively ****** players - until I realized the evaluation was caused by a bug.

Here are a couple tips

1. Don't be a star gazer
2. The higher their CA the odds are higher that they will actually turn out to be a good player (pretty obvious, no?)
3. Hold onto players labeled as "promising" as I believe those players have to have a certain PA to get that description. They may not look that good, but if they have the right determination and workrate they can develop into solid players.
4. Don't expect to get Messi's every year. Getting youth who eventually come to sit on your bench and rotate is enough to save you a lot of money.

I appreciate your tips, but to be honest it sounds like you're talking to a 12 year old. I know how FM works, and if you'd read the entire thread you'd have discovered that it's a bug and the problem's solved. I appreciate the effort to help, but I'm not a noob who "expects to get a Messi every year". I don't think anyone does.

Only sign players who are promising. Check all of their abilities just to make sure however.

You don't need to see the stars. That's a first approximation, but even without bug they aren't the full answer. Look at their attributes, as there you will be able to assess whether their potential is actually as high or low as the staff tells you with stars.

Two fundamental attributes to look for are determination and workrate, the higher they are, the higher drive the player will have to work hard in training and the more chances he'll develop to his full potential.

You don't need to see the stars. That's a first approximation, but even without bug they aren't the full answer. Look at their attributes, as there you will be able to assess whether their potential is actually as high or low as the staff tells you with stars.

Two fundamental attributes to look for are determination and workrate, the higher they are, the higher drive the player will have to work hard in training and the more chances he'll develop to his full potential.

Yes, I know. I was simply confused by the star rating, as it was extremely unusual to see a complete youth intake with only 1/2 star players. After I read about and became aware of the bug, I now check the attributes instead of relying on the stars.

I got one regen in L1 who was already better than anyone in my first team...and started with two preferred moves. I later checked him with Genie Scout and turns out that he had the maximum 200 PA. Potentially the best player in the world.

Shows that it can happen to any team. It's obvious that youth facilities and network help, but I think it's also important to have good youth coaches and other staff. I've consistently got better regens after I started to invest in staff.

Mersk have u had any luck getting a feeder club to raise profile in a country yet for Liverpool.I always get amesg saying they can't find a suitable club.

I got one regen in L1 who was already better than anyone in my first team...and started with two preferred moves. I later checked him with Genie Scout and turns out that he had the maximum 200 PA. Potentially the best player in the world.

Shows that it can happen to any team. It's obvious that youth facilities and network help, but I think it's also important to have good youth coaches and other staff. I've consistently got better regens after I started to invest in staff.

That's awesome. Do you have a screenshot?

Mersk have u had any luck getting a feeder club to raise profile in a country yet for Liverpool.I always get amesg saying they can't find a suitable club.

Yes I got Okayama FC in Japan as a feeder club. I've also asked for a second one, and they wanted me to pick it. I told them to make the decision themselves, and they couldn't find an appropriate one. So when the options becomes available I will ask again, and pick it myself.

I appreciate your tips, but to be honest it sounds like you're talking to a 12 year old. I know how FM works, and if you'd read the entire thread you'd have discovered that it's a bug and the problem's solved. I appreciate the effort to help, but I'm not a noob who "expects to get a Messi every year". I don't think anyone does.

I never meant to cause any offense, sorry. But you did say this "made me curious about what factors are actually in play", so I offered some advice as it appeared you were frustrated that your team wasn't producing players based on what your coaches were telling you.

Even if they've fixed the issue, I still wouldn't rely on my coaches evaluation of a player. In some of those screens in the link, some of the players still are not evaluated properly.

Hope you get your youth system sorted though, it's probably my favorite part of the game.

I never meant to cause any offense, sorry. But you did say this "made me curious about what factors are actually in play", so I offered some advice as it appeared you were frustrated that your team wasn't producing players based on what your coaches were telling you.

Even if they've fixed the issue, I still wouldn't rely on my coaches evaluation of a player. In some of those screens in the link, some of the players still are not evaluated properly.

Hope you get your youth system sorted though, it's probably my favorite part of the game.

No hard feelings. I was curious about what factors are in play because I never considered it to be the result of a bug. However, the bug is fixed with today's update (13.2.3). I use the coaches star rating as an indication though, I don't make transfer/contract decisions based on it.

The whole part of bringing up youth players and moulding them is my favorite part too, so I'm just glad it was a bug and not something seriously wrong with my youth intake.

Alright, after some googling I think I've found the answer to this. It's apparently a bug after one of the last updates, which results in the evaluation of the players being inaccurate. And if I understand it correctly, it doesn't mean the players are ******, it simply means the evaluation is not to be trusted as much as earlier. The solution seems to be signing the players, and thus getting the accurate evaluation. This is of course simply stupid, and unless I'm misunderstanding something it's simply a ****-up (pardon my french) from SI. Afterall, how are lower league teams supposed to afford to sign all their players from the youth intake?

Yep. I had a guy who was rated 1 star by my scouts in the most recent update, so naturally, I turned a blind eye to him, without even looking at his profile.
Then I kept seeing his name - "Brown (his name) scores hattrick for U18s"
So checked him out, his stats were amazing and he looked 5 star potential for sure :p

Last edited: