Youth Players training; best area to concentrate on for development?

RobertoNUFC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if in your experience it is best to train the technical side of things to youngsters or more fitness based training?
I seem to remember in FM13 I concentrated on ball control and technical ability until they were 18 and then concentrated on fitness and tactics between 18 and 21. Will this still work with FM14 or does anyone have a successful approach that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Any help appreciated!

For each of them go to Reports at Player profile and look at suggested focus by your different staff...You can also go to squad screen and then Interaction screen and then Backroom Advice...You will find useful info there...

Last edited:
I don't know if this is more affective or not, but I normally focus on their physical stats at first since the average male hits his physical prime between the ages of 18-23. When they are young it is the best time to train their physical stats I believe. Around 21 I will focus on technical stats and most of the time leave mental to tutoring or just growing with experience, unless there is a major weakness there.

I really don't know if their approach is anymore successful than any other approach. So far on this FM I haven't kept a save going long enough to develop any youngsters.

Probably both approaches can work in the game. I like a bit of reading and in Pep's book its mentioned that they purely concentrate on technical ability for youngsters and Fergie mentions in his book that the MUFC academy do exactly the same. That IRL though not FM!

IRL they are always focusing on the physical aspect. There is physical training incorporated into every training session and it is part of every drill being done. Plus there is additional training in the weight room or on their own. But in FM you don't get to monitor every part of the training sessions so we really don't know what goes on and what sort of drills your coaches are running your players through. That should be a new feature: take control of team practices.

Another approach would be to develop their strengths whereas others would develop their weaknessess...What is most useful in developing them is ,if you find a tutor with a useful move for the youngster...He would learn it without any training...It's magic time in Football Manager...

I concentrate mainly on their technical side, as mental and physical attributes will increase with age. However, if they have any glaring weaknesses (Alot of my youth players seem to have a strength of about 4), then I will work on that too.

I think it depends on the type of player, I'm yet to see major improvements of a player with, for example 2 dribbling, getting major boost in this area. But I've seem an already skilled dribbler with good agility and flair, getting major increase in their dribbling with training focus.

If a player have a terrible weakness in one of their attributes, like a striker with 5 finishing, its unlikely you will see major improvements in a short period. I recommend to see if his actual attributes fit in any other position in your formation, then focus his training in this new position and attributes that he's already good. This way you will have a ready player much sooner to fit in your first team, and thus more likely to reach their potential.