Zagreb 1-7 Lyon - Just a freak result?

Frank

Hobbs
Reaction score

Lyon's players celebrate after hammering Dinamo Zagreb to reach the second round of the Champions League. Photograph: Hrvoje Polan/AFP/Getty Images

A rampant Lyon staged an astonishing second-half fightback to thrashDinamo Zagreb and reach the knockout stage of the competition.
Bafétimbi Gomis scored the quickest ever Champions League hat-trick to help his side pull off a remarkable win. His three goals in seven minutes, including the first just before half-time, meant the France striker beat the previous record set by Blackburn Rovers' Mike Newell in December 1995.
The victory, which put Lyon through to the knockout stages for a ninth straight season, was also the French club's biggest win in the Champions League and Dinamo's heaviest defeat in all European competition. After the game their coach Krunoslav Jurcic was sacked.
Remi Garde's side also needed Ajax to lose at home to Real Madrid and hope for a seven-goal swing in goal difference which they managed comfortably as Ajax went down 3-0.
Gomis scored a fourth as he became only the seventh player to reach that tally in one Champions League match.
Lyon fell behind in the 40th minute to 10-man Dinamo, who had their midfielder Jerko Leko sent off for a second bookable offence midway through the first half, before Gomis scored four goals to lead their charge into the last 16.

Maxime Gonalons, Lisandro López and Jimmy Briand scored Lyon's other goals to complete the rout, leaving the Croatian champions rooted to the bottom of the group with no points from six games.

Dinamo Zagreb 1-7 Lyon | Champions League Group D match report | Football | guardian.co.uk

Thought this deserved it's own thread. The defending in the second half is simply laughable and the goals look pretty 'staged'. I normally don't buy into these kind of things, but this seems oh-so-dodgy.

Thoughts?​

Madcap game. Well done to Lyon, what a win.

As for the game being staged... here, let my buy you some tinfoil. I hear they make excellent hats.

A top 15 european side in need of a big win thrashing a 10-man croatian team who collected no points in 6 games and weren't really going to make any impact in the competition?

Conspiracy, I say!

Dinamo aren't that strong of a team and had noting to play for, where as Lyon knew they needed many goals and gave everything they could, also Dinamo got a player sent of early.

Some say Sepp Blatter had his life savings riding on a 7-1 victory for Lyon.

actually lyon could have scored 2 3 goals in the first half if it wasn't for Kelava
i guess after lyons blitzkreig in the second half the dinamo players just vanished from the pitch mentally
hoping the end will come soon
no stagging , it was just a crazy football night
thats all there is

Not a freak result, just one superior team hammering a significantly weaker one.
In the first half it was even enough as Lyon though they where out. Once they realised it was theirs to play for they simply turned up the pace.
Zagreb had nothing to play for, less players and less quality.

Just feel sorry for Ajax, they had two legal goals ruled out for offside tonight. Well done Lyon though, epic comeback.

seen this on another forum

French gambling regulator (ARJEL) has launched investigation into DZ 1-7 Lyon.

Intresting.

There are also rumours that Lyon paid 2,1M for the game. There are rumours that there is evidence of the payment on the internet.
Only seen the rumours on Dutch sites so I don't know it's completely objective.

Domagoj Vida's cheeky wink:
knipoog_932382e.jpg

11jb23n.jpg

Well there was an interview with Philipe O'claire (sp) (French football journo) and he said that there was an investigation by the fraud department, and there was absolutely no evidence of betting irregularities at all, and the only thing that was evident, was a poor performance not helped by a sending off, and heads dropping resulting in a major gubbing. So any rumours are hearsay

Well there was an interview with Philipe O'claire (sp) (French football journo) and he said that there was an investigation by the fraud department, and there was absolutely no evidence of betting irregularities at all, and the only thing that was evident, was a poor performance not helped by a sending off, and heads dropping resulting in a major gubbing. So any rumours are hearsay

people would rather believe a stupid conspiracy than actual facts

I didn't see the goal and everyone is talking about a conspiracy but 6 goals in one half is unusual in the Champions League.

Until I can be arsed to watch the goals I can't tell you my full opinion as I think you can tell from a players body language and positioning whether he is match-fixing or not.