NUFC Joe

Reaction score
Started a game or 2 in 13.3.2 and I'm struggling really hard with formations and tactics in general.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a 442 or 4231 that works? Or give me some tips on making tactics for the new updated version? Thank you!

JP woody has been instrumental in help in the past and so has Raikan and TBH, cheers.

Anyone? Been using JP Woody's attacking 442.. Getting some goals but it's not defensively sound enough, any ideas?

who are you managing mate?

your approach will solely be based on who you have chosen!

if you are Norwich your instructions will be completely different to that if you chose say Arsenal...

who are you managing mate?

your approach will solely be based on who you have chosen!

if you are Norwich your instructions will be completely different to that if you chose say Arsenal...

Hey man, as always thanks for the input.

I'm Cardiff for now. I'm trying to develop a few tactics really. I'm keen on 442 or 4231 ideally with attacking/counter attacking play and not so much possession and control of the match.

Any ideas on how I can do this and be defensively sound? With JP's attacking 442 (13.2.2) I seem to concede a lot more on this latest build of FM. Any ideas on how to make it a bit more stable, lets say?

Thanks in return.

Have a look under " Team Tactics" I bit down in the opening post. These approaches where presented in FM12 but the ideas are still the same. Perhaps the " Aston Villa 442 " or the Bolton /QPR for trickier matches. Notice that these are but downloades.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-tactics-training/84722-%2A%2A%2A-better-halfs-tactics-training-center%2A%2A%2A-uploads-discussion-help-thread.html

I used them in 12, but just didn't think they would have much effect in 13?? Especially with the latest updates?

Just curious to what you think on that.

I used them in 12, but just didn't think they would have much effect in 13?? Especially with the latest updates?

Just curious to what you think on that.

Tactics based on solid football principles rather than exploiting the ME should in theory work on any ME.

It just seems that there isn't enough chances being made.

Starting to get on my nerves now... Absolutely no chances being created. I'm clearly doing something wrong haha.

Starting to get on my nerves now... Absolutely no chances being created. I'm clearly doing something wrong haha.

Well, if your not creating any chances at all, meaning no CCS, no half chances or even headers( that are almost never counter as the previously mentioned), or even no long shots from clear angels, then I would say your problem is not tactical but down to management. If being a " good coach " being able to handle the squad, you should get some chances with a default standard 442.

With this said, how do you coach your players ?

Well, if your not creating any chances at all, meaning no CCS, no half chances or even headers( that are almost never counter as the previously mentioned), or even no long shots from clear angels, then I would say your problem is not tactical but down to management. If being a " good coach " being able to handle the squad, you should get some chances with a default standard 442.

With this said, how do you coach your players ?

I wouldn't say I'm a bad coach... But obviously not a very good one! Hah.

Team talks - Always say for fans, if drawing at half time bit of aggressive, losing at half time is the same, winning is dont get complacent/can do better, win = well done lads..

Do you want me to post my normal tactic?

View attachment 317965

That is my normal one, normally I have counter attack ticked btw, just forgot this time.

And then I use that same again, only I put attacking on as apposed to Standard.

Never normally go City or anything either, just bored.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing the same thing too, too few CCCs in one match. If I'm watching match in 'key' mode there will be only 4-5 highlights (including goals) so it's **** boring. No matter what strategy I use the players just keep passing the ball around instead of playing the killer pass. Not like FM 12 where there are lots of through balls and CCCs and exciting football.
I'm not doing bad though currently playing Liverpool and top of the table after 6 match so I can't really complain but just keep getting 1-0 and 2-1s win:S

View attachment 317965

That is my normal one, normally I have counter attack ticked btw, just forgot this time.

And then I use that same again, only I put attacking on as apposed to Standard.

Never normally go City or anything either, just bored.

My first impressions of the screenshot:
Supporting full backs behind attacking wingers can be extremely problematic defensively if you don't have the players for it so make sure you find high tackling full backs good decision making and lots of stamina.
Secondly, you're using a short passing regime so it might be a good idea to get a defensive midfielder in there somewhere, since most wingers will be in the oppositions half your defenders may struggle to play a short pass to midfield particularly when up against 5 in midfield which is why 442 is more of a direct formation since you lack the gems between the lines.
Might be a good idea to play with a higher line as it will improve the shorter passing.
Two playmakers in center mid means with default player instructions none of them will really attempt to chase the ball down too much and so forth. Change one to a BWM and the other to an AP.
Set your CF as a target man and use a tall player there.
See how it goes... Not saying this will fix all your problems but some of the stuff i listed is what popped out at me straight away.

My first impressions of the screenshot:
Supporting full backs behind attacking wingers can be extremely problematic defensively if you don't have the players for it so make sure you find high tackling full backs good decision making and lots of stamina.
Secondly, you're using a short passing regime so it might be a good idea to get a defensive midfielder in there somewhere, since most wingers will be in the oppositions half your defenders may struggle to play a short pass to midfield particularly when up against 5 in midfield which is why 442 is more of a direct formation since you lack the gems between the lines.
Might be a good idea to play with a higher line as it will improve the shorter passing.
Two playmakers in center mid means with default player instructions none of them will really attempt to chase the ball down too much and so forth. Change one to a BWM and the other to an AP.
Set your CF as a target man and use a tall player there.
See how it goes... Not saying this will fix all your problems but some of the stuff i listed is what popped out at me straight away.

Cheers I'll look into that. Much appreciated.

I'll change both wingers and full backs to S or wingers A and full backs auto. Change my passing style to default and change the midfield to BWM and AP... See what happens!

Thought I'd play about with City a bit and I've sorted my major issue which was the BWM and opp instructions I think...

My problem with this patch is find a consistency tactic.

Because i get awesome results but at the same time i can get a stupid one with a small team.