SuperMike

Reaction score
Hello FmBase,

After the best part of a year away from these forums I have returned.

For those that don't know I had a 'relatively' successful tactic here last year - SuperMike - 3 Seasons of Breaking Records

I've played FM16 intensely since the final update, I pretty much learned the game from scratch from then.

To gather that knowledge I have downloaded and played with, tweaked and experimented with a wide variety of tactics from this forum. That does mean that the tactic has a variety of influences that could well be YOUR work. With parts taken and tweaked from many successful tactics and put together in what I believe to be a cohesive tactic.

I would give credit for the set pieces, I know I have picked them up from somewhere and mixed and matched the ones I like. If any of them are yours please let me know so I can credit you. I can't remember where I tested them.

Only recently have I put together my final version (without mass testing).

I have tried it with a few teams but what I will show you are the results I achieved with Leicester.

I believe these are good results that could have been better if I wasn't smashing my way through it quickly. (check some of the teams I drew to, these would be wins 90% of the time). Images at the bottom of thread.

The tactic

The tactic is a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide - FIFA players will know it as a 433 (2).

It looks like this, you can also check the player selection I chose.

View attachment 169670

This tactic can be used as plug and play and doesn't require too much extra work put in.

The opposition instructionsI use are as follows: (Credit for these is either TFF or CE - both use it)

View attachment 169664

Important information

For the corners to work most effectively only the DM, LB or RB should take the corners. I would choose your best taker of these 3.

HOWEVER if you do have a really good corner taker who is not one of these and you want to use them then you will need to do some editing.
Choose your taker - Look at their position - Go to the attack corner set up - Then switch the position the taker plays with the DM - You can do this by dragging the corner takers icon and dropping it directly on the DM, who is currently at stay back. This way anyone can take corners effectively. You MUST do this step though.

e.g. I want my MCL to take corners so I go to the corner set up for BOTH left and right corners and drag the MCL and switch with the DM. The MCL (corner taker) is now at stay back and the DM is doing the MCL's job.

When Fuchs was playing my DL took corners so there was no problem but later I switched to Mahrez AMR and to keep the effectiveness I made the above changes.

I usually remove the DM if I go to ten men.

Watch the players body language, if highlighted in yellow consider a change particularly if they are booked.

If body language is highlighted in green I would keep them going unless their fitness is an issue.

Training

Pre-Season

Team Cohesion - High

Match Tactics Only (Until Fluid)

Slider: Fully towards More Match training

During Season

Slider: Default

Balanced - Average

Match tactic - Attacking Movement

With the natural defensive stability of this tactic. I suggest match training switches to 'attack movement' as soon as the tactic is fluid. This is important it turning annoying undeserved draws into wins.

Tick allow rest AFTER match
Untick allow rest BEFORE match

As for player training I look to get all important stats regularly trained.

Goalkeeper - Sweeper Keeper
Fullbacks - Complete Wing Back - Additional Focus - Strength
Centre Backs Centre Back - Additional Focus - Agility
Defensive Midfielder - Half Back - Additional Focus - Agility
Centre Midfielders - Box to Box Midfielder - Additional Focus - Technique
Wingers - Inside Forward - Additional Focus - Agility
Striker - Complete Forward

Results

I could have continued this further but I feel that the only way to get a tactic truly tested is by uploading it to the community.

View attachment 169661

The draw to likes of Bournemouth are my own complacency when rushing through the save file.

View attachment 169660

This was done with only some cover signings on loan. I had transfers disabled.

View attachment 169659

This was done with Sunday League reputation as well.

Finally the download file
View attachment 169649

Gaining the edge

In game team talks.

Start of match when favourites - Calm - Concentrate
Start of match when underdog - Calm - Encourage
After scoring - Calm - Concentrate
Beginning of second half when winning - Calm - Concentrate
If losing or drawing at the beginning of the half - Calm - Encourage
At 70 mins if winning - Assertive - Tighten Up
At 70 mins if drawing or losing - Assertive - Push Forward

These can be used every 10 minutes. I use them as much as I remember to.

For before match and half time team talks I tend to follow the assistant's advice.

If the option 'pick up where left off' is there I will use it.
I also make use of 'have faith' for individuals.

In game mentality tweaking.

Playing with the possession bar below.

I find this very important to my consistent success. I judge games during the match and make according mentality switches.

In brief I will explain my method.

All games are started with the base downloadable tactic.

As the game unfolds I pay attention to the possession bar and to the score line to assess the situation.

First half.

The only tweak I will make in the first half is a switch to attacking mentality IF I am 2 goals down AND generally losing the possession battle.
The possession battle is important because control mentality is all about being in charge and having the ball. If you don't have it you need to make a switch to play without it and when a couple goals down attacking is the best way to play.

Second half
I always begin the second half with the base tactic once again as the team-talk and break can always change the flow.
If losing at the 55 minute mark by just one goal AND losing the possession battle I switch to attacking. (If I am winning the possession battle I don't make and changes yet as the control is doing it's job and I trust them to turn it around.)

If I am drawing at the 65th minute and not dominating possession (Equal or losing) I will make the attacking switch to search for the important victory. (I also bring push forward team talk in here)

If I am losing and winning the possession battle, I will finally turn to attacking. In attempt to shake the other team up. This is effective because both Auto players become attacking players and you will have 7 players now really putting pressure on the opponent.

If I am winning and winning the possession battle I will make no changes.

If I am winning the game by only 1 or 2 goals but am losing the possession battle at the 65th minute I switch the mentality to counter as this is another way of playing without the ball. It is quite sturdy way of stopping that late come back because if the opponent switches to attack which tends to happen around this time AND they have the ball we are in trouble.

If winning the game by just one goal and counter hasn't evened out the possession I will finally switch down to defensive to see the game out. This works very well in stifling the opponents attacks.

If you have made a switch and the scoreline changes you should react to that by switching to the position of this guide you are now in.

This method has turned around plenty of games for me.

I train the tactic with attacking in slot 2 and counter in slot 3 ONLY AFTER the base tactic is fully fluid.

This post can be found #27

Responses are most welcome. Let me know your experiences. More results can be found on post #9.

Last edited:
I'm so happy that this year we getting all normal formations( Not like last year 3strikers only. Looking good will test it soon.
What mentality u using(I'm not on my computer at the moment)?

I'm so happy that this year we getting all normal formations( Not like last year 3strikers only. Looking good will test it soon.
What mentality u using(I'm not on my computer at the moment)?

It's control.

Although it is not always the perfect mentality for an individual match, it certainly will deliver the best results over a long period of time for players that don't want to regularly switch mentalities.

I suppose that's why it's popular for plug and plays.

Testing wiht Leeds.
Tactic is good but i have problem with converting shots on goals.
Last few matches i am noticing draws 1-1, low wins 1-0 or games lost 1-2.
Possesion is about 60%, i am doing 3x more shots than oponent, also more CCC.
Even if i am winning 1-0 or even 2-0 they always can equalize , i dont have idea how to prevent that.

Testing wiht Leeds.
Tactic is good but i have problem with converting shots on goals.
Last few matches i am noticing draws 1-1, low wins 1-0 or games lost 1-2.
Possesion is about 60%, i am doing 3x more shots than oponent, also more CCC.
Even if i am winning 1-0 or even 2-0 they always can equalize , i dont have idea how to prevent that.

With more possession, shots and CCC I would say the tactic is working.

The problem may be more to do with the players. Have you tried the in game team talks? And what is the morale if your players like?

If the 2-0 is late on you could use the tighten up team talk and perhaps drop to defensive at that point.

Last edited:
Have you tested it with other teams?

Liverpool, Leicester, Watford.

To try top, middle, lower team.

I was happy with the success at each tier. Leicester was the more thorough test.

I'm hoping others will post results and that will add weight to what I have seen.

I'll give it a spin with my Gainsborough team which freshly won the PL + CL.

Just opened a quick start Liverpool save.

Just to show the first 3 results as they happened.

Overview of results

View attachment 169605

Competitive game 1

View attachment 169604

Competitive game 2

View attachment 169603

Competitive game 3 - Performance was really good to watch

View attachment 169602

The line up used in all games

View attachment 169601

----- EDIT -----

I've added the Sunderland game as well. Scoreline should have been higher. The big positive of course is in limiting Sunderland to 1 shot which was not on target.
The scoring was better with Vardy at Leicester. Firminho is not as clinical. When I have Sturridge back that should rise.

View attachment 169593

Last edited:
Alright Mike, huge fan of your tactics last year ! how would this tactic fair on instant result or would you recommend against it ?

Alright Mike, huge fan of your tactics last year ! how would this tactic fair on instant result or would you recommend against it ?

Thanks man.

I haven't tried instant result but I see no reason to advise against it as once this tactic is set up there isn't a huge amount of manager input needed. Of course the little bits do make a small difference but for the most part it would perform no different.

It tends to be the 'out there' formations that suffer on instant result.

brilliant mate nice one I've just text me mate as well to let him know you are back ! nice one Mike!

EjxoqBj.png

E5puTIq.png

That kind of stuff happens far too frequently. I have world class players, mind you.

First 3 games with Leicester

Beat Stoke 4-1
beat West Ham away 4-1
lost 0-1 to norwich at home

hope the norwich game isn't a sign of things to come

Tactic has gone flat on its face after the best start I've had to an fm save this year ! still 3rd in the league in feb but havent won a league game since december

u using IF's, so i assume that is better to have left footed player on the right side and right footed on left, am i right m8?

little update: finished 4th (just) on goal difference, only ended up winning 5 times between middle of December to end of the season, ill strengthen the team then let you know how it goes